Question

Honor Student
mamajoy14
Message 1 of 8 (7,779 Views)

No wireless printing or air print from HP photosmart 6520

[ Edited ]

I am on the verge of returning this printer to the retailer as I have never been able to get it to work for more than a day.

The printer (as confirmed by the configuration test page and the network test results) is connected to my network.  All details are correct.

My HP Pavillion 23 won't pick it up, my phone won't pick it up and neither will my ipad.  I have spent hours on this and I'm so incredibly frustrated.

It has worked approximately once, when I changed the IP to be static - next time I printed - nothing.

I also have an HP Pavillion D7 laptop that worked with it, once.

I have configured the firewall, the BT homehub. Nothing seems to work.  

When I try to configure the printer in Control Panel, it says the printer is 'offline'.  It is not. The HP printer assistant can't find it. Yesterday I was able to print an internet page by using the system dialog Ctrl shift P.  That doesn't work today.

Please can someone from HP help?

Details:

Windows 8

Photosmart 6520

serial no: [Personal Information Removed]

fpu NO: CX017 - 64002

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 2 of 8 (7,747 Views)

Re: No wireless printing or air print from HP photosmart 6520

Sorry to hear about your frustrations.  You are eligible for free phone support for a year if you just purchased the printer but I will also try to help you with getting the printer connected to all of your devices.  I still have a few questions for you though:

1. In order for AirPrint to work, you need to ensure your BT homehub has Bonjour.  Has AirPrint ever worked with this wireless hub? 

2. What is the printer's IP Address?

3. Are you able to install the printer with a USB connection?

4. What is the model number of your wireless router (BT homehub)?

Try downloading the HP Printer Install Wizard, make sure the printer is on the same network as the computer, let this software try to find the printer and let me know if that helps.  If not, please answer the questions above so I can give you the best advice.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Honor Student
mamajoy14
Message 3 of 8 (7,725 Views)

Thanks for replying. In response to your questions:

1. Not sure if I mean proper 'airprint' but the one time I got the printer to work, I was also able to print from my IPad and Iphone. I will make sure Bonjour is installed and see if that solves that issue.

2. Printer is 192.168.1.93 - not able to connect to it from a web browser.

3. haven't tried USB - I assumed that USB wouldn't make much difference as I've already got it working once wirelessly - but then connection lost and never to be resumed.

4. BT home hub is 3.0 type A

The HP install wizard has never been able to pick it up even though everything on Printer says it is connected to network.  I've configured the hub to allow the MAC address through. Turned off the firewall to try to get the PC to pick it up....

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 4 of 8 (7,716 Views)

Thank you for answering all of my questions.  I have researched the home hub Type A and it does seem to have a firmware update available. Usually you can call into your internet service provider to see if they can help you with this if you need it.

Really this sounds like the printer is connecting to the wrong network. You want to make sure it is on Channel 11 (2.4 Ghz).  When you use the Wireless Setup Wizard, does it find the one network or do you see multiple networks available?

Student
lula41
Message 5 of 8 (5,889 Views)

I can print wireless on my phone and my ipad but not on my mac book pro?

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 6 of 8 (5,820 Views)

What is the OS of the Mac Book (10.7, 10.8, etc)?  Are you getting any error messages?

--Photosmart 6520 Drivers--

I hope this helps!

Honor Student
mamajoy14
Message 7 of 8 (5,617 Views)

Hi, long time no speak, long time no printing.  BT can't help as they are not trained in printers and I will not pay £10 for their tech support so I'm back here.  What I'd like is an online chat but this doesn't seem to be available for printers

Printer is on channel 11.  network test reults all come back as a 'PASS' and indicates it is connected to my hub...

Soooooo frustrated.  As an aside, bought a Canon printer for my parents, also on a BT router although different version and will not connect,  Is it a BT thing? 

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 8 of 8 (5,613 Views)

Yes I think it is a BT thing anyway.  I remember working in HP's Cloud Department and asking someone about these routers the first time I ran into one and they said it had to do with Bonjour.  I have searched through the forums and found this. I really hope it helps get you started.

Here's a chat line (link) for HP support if that helps you any. I am not on here all the time because I am technically at work but it is kind of slow today so I periodically check my messages today.

I will be honest and say I personally am not familiar with this type of router (and not necessarily proficient in Mac's either since I no longer have one) but I will do my best to Google search any responses. I know...setting your expectations high today. :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation