OfficeJet 4500 G510N - Cannot print (3059 Views)
Intern
cbrookhart
Message 1 of 7 (3,059 Views)

OfficeJet 4500 G510N - Cannot print

[ Edited ]

Lately, I have been experiencing problems printing documents with this printer. I have it connected wirelessly, and it used to work without any problems. Now, I am unable to print from my laptop computer (which is connected wirelessly) and I am also unable to print from my desktop computer. The printer remains in power save mode and will not print anything and meanwhile, I have documents stuck in the print queue. I previously contacted HP support about this issue at the beginning of the month. They had me access an advanced menu in the printer configuration and change the timeout setting. This change did nothing to fix the problem. I have not made any changes to the network configuration or added or removed any hardware/software. What I don't understand is why all the sudden the printer is unable to come out of power save mode and print. I had this very same issue with a Lexmark wireless printer. I returned it and bought an HP wireless printer. Now I am having the same issue again. What is causing this to happen?

Edit: I posted this while chatting with HP support. They told me that the power save mode was an intentional feature put out by HP and that I should unplug the printer and plug it back in. This is not an acceptable solution. The support representative provided the steps for disabling the powersave. The first step was to press * and # at the same time. I did this twice, and each time, it immediately put the printer in power save mode. I then found out that this was a firmware related issue. I find it hard to believe that HP would design firmware to work this way.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 7 (3,015 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 4500 G510N - Cannot print

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). You can change the DHCP range of the router using its internal settings page.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (ends with .1) for the gateway and first DNS. Leave the second one blank.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Intern
cbrookhart
Message 3 of 7 (3,006 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is not going to work because any button I press on the printer immediately puts it into power save mode.

I've contacted HP Support Chat three times for the same issue. The last two times, they keep telling me that HP is researching the development of new firmware to fix this issue. The question that HP Support chat "appears" to be avoiding is how I could print before regardless of the printer state, but now I can't print anything.

The printer goes into power save mode if I unplug it from the wall outlet and plug it back in. It also does the same thing if I unplug the power cord from the back of the printer.

After unplugging and plugging the printer back in and having it immediately go into powersave mode, I was able to successfully print a test page. So, if the test page can print from power save mode, why can't anything else? According to HP chat, they think this is a hardware issue.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 7 (3,000 Views)

Is it under warranty?

I am employed by HP
Intern
cbrookhart
Message 5 of 7 (2,992 Views)

The printer is still under warranty. I'm waiting for a call from HP now, because I guess I have to provide a credit card number just in case the current printer doesn't make it to the warehouse within 15 days of the new printer coming.

As one last attempt, the support representative had me unplug the printer and then hold down # and 6 while plugging it back in. This was supposedly a semi-reset. I got as far as confirming the langugage and the location. In the past when I did this type of reset, I had to enter the password again for the wireless network. I didn't even get to that step, because after confirming the location, the printer immediately went into sleep mode.

What was interesting though is that if I inserted a piece of paper into the document feeder, the printer woke up and wanted to align the cartridges, which required printing. The paper feeder took half a sheet of paper in, and then stopped and did nothing else.

I am assuming now that at this point I now have a non-operational printer until the new one comes. Each time I open the control panel in windows and go to the printers and faxes, my printer is showing a status of offline and is in a lighter font style than the other entries in the printers/faxes.

I still don't understand how all the sudden the printer stopped working properly. Nobody can seem to explain this.

Student
jenslc
Message 6 of 7 (2,861 Views)

This happened to me today too. I used to have the Power Save Issue that could be resolved by unlpugging and plugging back in. Now it is just stuck in Powersave, even right after powering up. I am really disappointed in this printer and even more disappointed with HP for not providing support for an issue that has been known to them for quite some time. I'm probably going to have to go buy a new printer today, and it won't be an HP, I can tell you that! Sorry my post is not particularly helpful but needed to vent and am hoping that someday HP will address the issue.

Student
Christianne
Message 7 of 7 (2,804 Views)

Same situation here after only two months of ownership. Customer service rep had me do the "6 and #" process, which took me through selecting a language and location, after which the printer went back into PS mode with a flashing red arrow. She indicated that HP is working on a firmware update, which helps me not at all at the present moment. I have to talk with a "case manager" tomorrow morning about this, which I imagine will result in an offer to replace this awful machine with another one. HP really damaged its reputation with this item!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation