OfficeJet 4620 - cannot connect to wifi (1851 Views)
Honor Student
XavK
Message 1 of 8 (1,851 Views)

OfficeJet 4620 - cannot connect to wifi

Hi,

I took delivery of a new 4620 printer yesterday and have been stuggling ever since to connect it to wifi.

I'm running Windows 8 Pro 64 bit and have an Asus RT-N66U router (running Tomato firmware v1.28). 

I've tried a number of different options including:

Ensuring I downloaded the latest HP software

Trying the HP Print and Scan Doctor

Changing the wifi security from WPA & WPA2 to each individually

Disabled windows firewall

The error message always the same:

Issue: Unknown
Solution: For the latest information about wireless connection to HP printers, plus access to help and support resources, click the link below.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Xav

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 8 (1,843 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 4620 - cannot connect to wifi

Hi,

What are you using in terms of antivirus/malware protection?

Does it have its own firewall?

Using the Tomato 1.28 menu do a  wireless site survey to ensure that your printer is broadcasting and verify the subnet it is in?

site survaey.png

Your HP printer must be within the same subnet that your router is broadcasting for it to operate as part of your network.

Best regards,

erico

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the purple thumbs up icon in the lower left corner of a post ***

****Please click on the Accept As Solution button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
XavK
Message 3 of 8 (1,825 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the response.  I've tried  a few more approaches and think I'm getting closer to isolating the issue.

The PC I originally tried to install with has Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.  I tried a fresh install with the Firewall disabled but that had no effect.

I have since tried to do another install using a Samsung NC10 netbook (Win XP Home, MS Security Essentials) and get exactly the same issue.  That said, the netbook is wifi enabled (unlike the PC mentioned above which is wired LAN only) and as such, the software grabbed the settings from the netbook automatically (but still the same error message.  Oddly, it only suggested a WPA connection even when I changed the router setting from WPA/WPA2 to just WPA2.

I then focussed my attention on the router as two different PC's giving the same error suggests they arent the problem.  Tomato is finding the printer and listing it in the Device List but there is no IP address listed.  This is confirmed on the printer which continues to report that it is not wifi connected.  I've also tried assigning a static IP in the router and rebooting both router and printer but it just doesnt seem to want to assign an address.

Next I tried manually assigning the IP address in the Advanced Network settings on the printer but no matter what I do, it seems determined to stay stuck on the Automatic Network setting rather than Manual.

When I printed the Wireless Network Test results, there is a Fail listed again No Filtering and against IP Address it states Not Applicable

Any other suggestions?

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 8 (1,820 Views)

Hi,

Is the router set to be the DHCP server in the Tomato menu?

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the purple thumbs up icon in the lower left corner of a post ***

****Please click on the Accept As Solution button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
XavK
Message 5 of 8 (1,814 Views)

Yes, absolutely.  Wireless settings are as follows:

Wifi settings.jpg

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 6 of 8 (1,782 Views)

For some reason your last pic never showed.  From the test report you mentioned, the printer thinks that MAC filtering is turned on.  Make sure it is turned off.  If MAC filtering is off, try setting the router to use a different channel as channel interference may be causing a false MAC filtering failure.  Channels 1, 6, and 11 are the best to use with a HP printer.  Let me know what you find.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Student
SupportAdl
Message 7 of 8 (1,265 Views)

Hi All.

Anyone can tell me if this printer is compatible with WPA2-Enterprise?

Thanks.

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 8 of 8 (1,247 Views)

Hey SupportAdl,

The Officejet 4620 does not support the WPA2-Enterprise encryption type.  It is setup more for small business/home use and supports WPA2-Personal instead.  The 2 step process of WPA2-Enterprise is outside of the scope of the product's capabilities.

Hope this helps,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation