Question

Honor Student
BMeinz
Message 1 of 21 (9,162 Views)
Accepted Solution

OfficeJet 6500 E709N Series ~ Cannot Print Wirelessly....

TRIED EVERYTHING~

Here it goes: We have a Mac running OSx 10.5.7 and PC with Windows XP, and A Laptop with windows XP. Our Wireless Router is a Lnksis 3-G wireless.

I purchased the HPOJ-6500-e709n yesterday and have setting it up all night.  Tried this on the mac.

At first how I had everything connected.Ethernet Cable to the router, and usb to the printer. Set up went through all phases including fax. Was able to print fine. I was never prompted to disconnect the cables but directions included state you must test the wireless connection. I did and the printer did nothing. I reconnected the ethernet cable and was able to print what was in the que. However not wirelessly as I tried this several times.

Directions lead me to test firewall rules and check them. I added rules for UDP and TCP to allow all coming from the URL given in the network config page I printed from the printer. I also added the mac address to the list of allowed attached devices as I added access control as well. I tested this several times and also added the printer using the url. After I had done all this allowing all ports to connect it was able to allow me to view supply levels for ink and even print diagnostic reports wirelessly through the printer manager but cannot print documents.... WEIRD. 

I loaded it each time with the correct driver and did all I can to allow it on all ports. The only thing that I can think of at this juncture is that we have a house system that apparently is running on here that I do not administrate. It really has nothing to do with it but I changed the URLs to start managing at 0.100+ as the rep wanted 1-100 to be used by there system so we are running it at 192.168. 0.101... 

What should I do? 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 21 (9,161 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 6500 E709N Series ~ Cannot Print Wirelessly....

If you wanted a wireless connection why did you do the installation with an Ethernet cable plugged in?

If you have switched to wireless have you removed and re-added the printer in the print queue (System Prefs, Print & Fax)? 

Have you set a static IP address for the printer (the 0.101 address mentioned)?

What does it say/do when you try to print documents? 

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
BMeinz
Message 3 of 21 (9,143 Views)

If you wanted a wireless connection why did you do the installation with an Ethernet cable plugged in?

The directions stated to plug everything in? Was I supposed to install it wirelessly? 

If you have switched to wireless have you removed and re-added the printer in the print queue (System Prefs, Print & Fax)? 

Yes several times. In different ways too. IE. Through IP printing protocol. Finding Printers on the network and also through the URL which seemed to allow me to view the supply levels after opened up all UDP ports. 

Have you set a static IP address for the printer (the 0.101 address mentioned)? 

It is set to automatic however I did require that all Static IPs start at 100 and go can go to 254. IE[ 192.168.0.101,192.168.0.254] 

What does it say/do when you try to print documents?

Printer at idle otherwise ready:

then says printing gets to 17% with no document or printer movement.

Lately it has just been saying the it is opening printer portal at url {192.168.0.101] and then it states it is busy and will retry in 30 secs. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 21 (9,153 Views)

OK, there may be something else going on, but try this:

Remove the Ethernet and USB cables

Make sure the radio is on (may not hurt to reboot the router and printer, too)

Delete and add the printer under the Default tab - the one marked with Bonjour

Reboot the computer and try to print. 

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
BMeinz
Message 5 of 21 (9,096 Views)

WOW.

Well IT WORKS? Still can not see fax capabilities, and scanner says scanner error from computer, and says refer to documentation from the printer...

BUT IT PRINTS! THANKS Any suggestions on the rest?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 21 (9,077 Views)

For Fax and Scanner functionality, now that it is basically working you may want to reinstall the full featured software from here.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
pugak
Message 7 of 21 (6,202 Views)

Hi,

I'm desperate for help. I have a similar setup as the original post. I just bought a MacAir  with Snow Leopard and could not print wirelessly with my Office Jet 6500 E709n. The printer works fine with our three other laptops in Windows but the Mac could not detect th eprinter. When I tried to install using the System Preferences, Add Printer, (+) it would not detec the printer wirelessly. I don't see any printer detected by Bonjour. When I connect to USB, it's fine, but I want to print wirlessly with the Mac. Please help!

Honor Student
pugak
Message 8 of 21 (6,201 Views)

Hi,

I just realized that my HP office Jet 6500 was connected wo the router via ethernet. I can print from my Windows based laptops but for some reason, I coudn't from my Mac. The Mac can use the router and surf the net but it won't print wirelessly on the HP. I tried adding it but the Mac won't even detect the printer. really frustrating...

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 21 (6,178 Views)

What version of OS X?  From where did you get the HP software or are you just using what is in the OS?

In the mean time, try to reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
pugak
Message 10 of 21 (6,157 Views)

I'm just using the one from the OS. It's a 10.6.5. I did have a bit of success when I disconnected the ethernet cable from the printer to the router. I was able to print from the Mac wirelessly! However, when I connected the printer back to the router (I need to since my other pCs have no wireless and can only connect through the printer this way), I could not print again from my Mac wirelessly. Any suggestions?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation