Question
OfficeJet 6500 E710n-z - Problems with wireless printing
Replies (45)

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 21 of 46 (9,007 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 6500 E710n-z - Problems with wireless printing

ajish4,

What security system are you using?  Try disabling its firewall.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
ajish4
Message 22 of 46 (9,005 Views)

Thanks so much for the reply....Only the Windows Vista Firewall, but it is OFF. Verified by the network test. I use AVG antivirus with NO FIREWALL. I'm using VISTA on my laptop. XP on my desktop. I can test the ink levels, and it DOES see the levels, but no other features on the printer work.

I used the HP software removal tool and did a CLEAN install. STILL NO USE.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 23 of 46 (8,995 Views)

At this point I would uninstall AVG, reboot and try again.  Uggh, sorry.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
ajish4
Message 24 of 46 (8,919 Views)

[ Edited ]

WHEW......ok,...The problem isn't resolved BUT.....here is what I did and what I've discovered.

Just to summarize.....NEW NETGEAR RANGEMAX NETWORK installed. New Motorola modem.

REFORMATTED my desktop hard drive. I mean wiped it CLEAN! Then spent 8 hours downloading ALL, EACH AND EVERY UPDATE Microsoft has available. Installed the printer AFTER turning off the WIndow's firewall. Install went FAST but had a MINOR glitch. It now PRINTS but VERY, VERY SLOWLY. SO, I have wireless printing on my XP Desktop. NO SCAN capability even after checking the HP site.

Did a clean install on a WIndow's 7 laptop (my son's) and all went well. Prints fine, although still slow, but NONE of the grief on VISTA or XP. Will NOT scan.

REFORMATTED MY DELL INSPIRON 1701 Laptop  with the factory restore disk, sad to say it' has VISTA. WIPED IT CLEAN. Did the same thing, updated all the WIndows files as well as installing HP's. IT WON'T DO A DARN THING. It can see the ink levels, but WILL NOT PRINT for the life of me.Obviously, not SCAN either.

MY unofficial guess.....We need a firmware update for a few reasons. When this thing goes into "Hibernate" it goes into a COMA. The HP 4500 did the VERY SAME THING. When the screen goes blank, the printer goes dead until you move your finger on he touchpad or the phone rings. Also, the scan feature will NOT work even in the PAINT mode. Are there ANY work around that work yet? It says it cannot communicate with the printer, but I can print.

I've tried and tried to stay with HP. This is my 5th HP printer. I like it well enough, the quality of the print job is fine, but just SO much GRIEF. I also had an HP PSC2510. I paid almost 500.00 for that YEARS ago, and it worked ok, but VISTA constantly deleted the software. Even after downloading HP's "FIX", it still didi it. I can't afford to replace the laptop with Vista yet, but  obviously, there is a heck of a problem with HP/VISTA compatability. .

PLEASE keep us updated when a SCAN or FIRMWARE FIX is available. THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME.

Tony

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 25 of 46 (8,893 Views)

Your printer should be able to keep itself updated if you have enabled Web Services and can get updates now.

I am employed by HP
Student
dvadneau
Message 26 of 46 (8,848 Views)

+1000 to ziyagencer

That was the trick for me!

I have Windows XP and couldn't get the HP driver to install properly. I ran the HP diagnostic utility, as the original poster did and got the same message: "Software Missing!  HP Software required to connect to your printer over the network could not be found on this computer etc"

When I tried running the installer it got to the part where you choose a device and sees it correctly. When I select that and click Next another progress bar is displayed and the installer tries to install the network printer. It fails and the only options are to retry or cancel.

I've tried the latest drivers available, as of today (May 30, 2011) and downloaded both the basic and then the full software download.

I went through the troubleshooting HTA document HP provides and tried every suggestion. Nothing worked except the info in the post by ziyagencer.

I'm running Windows XP so the process is not exactly the same, but very similar. Here it is as you'll see it for XP users:

Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes > Add a Printer > Next > Add a Local Printer (make sure to deselect "Automatically detect and install..." > Next > Create a new port > Standart TCP/IP port > Next > Next > write down your printer IP > Next > Click Hewlett-Packard (not HP) and Officejet 6500 in the right box (not Fax) > Next (do NOT click have a disk or anything else) > Replace existing driver > Next > Next > Don't share this printer > Next > Select if you want to print a test page > Next Finish

I can tell you that I really doubt the router is the problem. I have a LinkSys WRT54G. The thing is a friend came over with his laptop (I think it had Vista) and got it to work immediately. That pissed me off, since here I was trying to get this to work on and off for weeks and he simply installs and gets it to work.

There's a problem with the driver, HP. Admit it. Fix it. Move on. Don't just skip to that last part.

Thanks again ziyagencer.

Top Student
haneth
Message 27 of 46 (8,834 Views)

I did this, along with all the other suggestions on this thread, to no avail.  This suggestion, however, was the only one that actually showed this printer on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop.

I am out of options and may have to return this printer to Costco.

Top Student
haneth
Message 28 of 46 (8,825 Views)

I took this from another thread.  It worked for me!

"

OK, there is something going on, probably with your router settings. Here are some suggestions:

1. Make sure you have 802.11g enabled - along with other modes is fine, but 'g' must be present.

2. Use WPA encryption or WPA/WPA2 encryption.

3. Do not use MAC filtering nor hide the broadcast of your SSID.

4. Change the router channel to 11.

"

Also, Yahoo recently rated this printer one of its 5 best under $200.  I got mine for $100 after rebate at Costco.  Said the black and white cartridge was good for 1200 copies at a cost of 2.7 cents a copy!!!

Top Student
ajish4
Message 29 of 46 (8,803 Views)

haneth wrote:

I took this from another thread.  It worked for me!

"

OK, there is something going on, probably with your router settings. Here are some suggestions:

1. Make sure you have 802.11g enabled - along with other modes is fine, but 'g' must be present.

2. Use WPA encryption or WPA/WPA2 encryption.

3. Do not use MAC filtering nor hide the broadcast of your SSID.

4. Change the router channel to 11.

"

WHOA,

Well, I just changed the router to Channel 11, and POOF! It now works COMPLETLY!

Even the SCANNER works too! EVEN ON MY VISTA LAPTOP!

Thank You HANETH!

Sorry to say, as far as cost, I paid full price at Staples. $249.00 AND I treded in my PSC 2510 and received $50.00 for it. So, $200.00 plus tax out the door.

Honor Student
webpdq
Message 30 of 46 (7,758 Views)

Obviously this printer has BIG PROBLEMS. I so hate it right now. Hopefully it is fixed. Been trying to get it to work consistently for several months.

I changed the channel of my router to 11 and it started working too. We will see if it continues to work. In the past, it would print once and then I would have to start troubleshooting all over again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation