Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

OK -- I know this ground has been covered, but I've used every fix recommended here & still come up empty-handed. Here's the deal: I have two Macs: a Mac Pro (base) and an iMac (remote). Mac Pro runs OS X.5; iMac runs OS X.6 (Snow Leopard).Cable DSL from wall to wireless router (Belkin pre-N); cable from router to Mac Pro; HP 960c and OJ 6500a connected to Mac Pro via separate USB connections. HP 960c and OJ 6500a work fine w/ Mac Pro (wired). HP 960c worked fine (via wireless) w/ iMac until I upgraded to Snow Leopard -- no surprise b/c HP 960c doesn't have (and won't have) Snow Leopard driver. Wireless connectivity for iMac is fine EXCEPT for OJ 6500a. I've tried everything -- scrubbing & re-installing software from Apple website. Connecting via IP address instead of standard (automatic) method; After installing using IP address, i get: "(IP address) is currently unavailable. Please check if it is turned on & connected or try again later." or "Network host is busy." I try to send a print job -- it goes to the 6500 but is 93% completed then permanently paused. Printer icon bouncing on dock w red star & numeral "1" on it. In list of printers, 6500 has a red house, rather than a green one.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK -- I found the answer on the Apple website & boy is it simple: (1) delete the printer drivers from both machines, (2) turn off "sharing" on the host machine, (3) install drivers on the host machine, (4) install drivers on the remote machine, (5) turn on printer sharing. Voila! It's all a matter of the order in which you do things...

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

Have you tried connecting the printer by an ethernet cable rather than a USB cable?

I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
HP Recommended

First, tell my what model number Belkin wireless-router you have.  Also, what type of encryption are you running?

Next, it wasn't clear if the issue is that the Officejet 6500 is not connecting to the network or if the you can't communicate to the printer once it's on the network.

I'd like to try some troubleshooting to identify where the issue is.

• From the Officejet 6500, press the setup button, select Network then select Restore Network Defaults.
  • From the same Network menu, select Wireless Setup Wizard.  The printer will scan for wireless networks.  Does it find yours?  Can you connect?
If the printer connected to your network, tell me the IP address of the printer.
You can find this by printing the Network Configuration page from the 6500.  Now, let's check if your Mac can access the printer.
Can you access the printer's internal web page?  You can do this by browsing to the printer's IP address or since you have a Mac, you can use Bonjour to find the printer's web page (from Safari, select Bookmarks, select Show All Book Marks, select Bonjour then double click on the printer in the main Safari window).

If the printer did not connect, let's do a wireless survey:

Press the <setup> + <#> keys together. This will generate an internal diagnostic report that has a wireless survey on the bottom half of the page. Tell me the names, channels and RSSI of the entries in the table labeled "Undirected Scan".  Also tell which network is yours.

We'll follow-up after your reply.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
HP Recommended

Belkin router # F5D8230-4 v. 2000. No encryption. I'm not quite sure how to answer.

The printer is connected to the Mac Pro via USB cable. The Mac Pro is connected to the wireless router via ethernet cable. The wireless router is connected to cable internet (Comcast) via ethernet cable. I want to do the reverse with my iMac: connect to router via wireless network, then connect to the Mac Pro, and, finally, connect to the printer -- so that I can send a print job from the iMac & have it print on the HP 6500.

Both my iMac & Mac Pro "see" the printer (i.e., it appears as one of the printer choices in the pull-down menus for both).In response to your directions:

A. I was able to restore network default

B. From the Set Up Network menu, I only have three options:

1. Print wireless config page

2. Restore network defaults

3. Advanced setup

a) Set Link Speeds

b) IP Settings

(No "Wireless Setup Wizard"  Note: This is not wireless version of HP 6500)

The printer didn't connect to the network

i can't access the printer's internal web page. The page I get only has "About Bonjour" as one of the choices.

Internal Diagnostic Report:

Unfortunately, I didn't generate a wireless survey. This is what I got:

HP Officejet 6500 E709a

Connectivity Status

Serial Number:

[Networking]

Printer Name: HP8EBB35; Active DNG Server(s): none; Active Default Gateway: none; MAC Policy: Multiple Hot Multiple MAC

-----Network  Interface Adaptor Summary

Name: Eth0   Type: Wired 802.3  Addr Source: Disconnected;  IP Address;  Subnet Mask;  gateway;  DNS Server(s)

Note: Automatic or manual IP address assignment only occurs for an adaptor if it is currently connected.

Wired (802.3) Adaptor Information Detail

===============================

-----Configuration------------

Enabled at power on: yes;  Link Config. : Auto link speed;  Auto Crossover: on;  Auto or Manual IP Address: Automatic;  Auto or Manual DNS Server: Automatic

-----Status---------------------

Adaptor Name: Eth0; Adaptor State: Inactive:  Link Status: Disconnected;  Adaptor MAC Address: 00:25:B3:8E:bb:35

HP Recommended

I don't know much about computers and printers but, by process of elimination, the problem resides somewhere in the Mac Pro. I know the iMac (remote) connects wirelessly w/ the wireless router, b/c it's able to receive the Internet & send e-mail, etc. We also know that the Mac Pro connects via ethernet cable to the wireless router, because it also accesses the Internet & sends e-mail. So, the problem isn't the router. The only thing the iMac transmits to is the wireless router; there's no direct connection to either the Mac Pro or the printer (it's not wireless). The printer is connected to the Mac Pro via USB cable & works fine.

The combinations that don't work are the printer > Mac Pro > wireless router > iMac AND iMac > wireless router > Mac Pro > printer. Therefore, something in the Mac Pro is preventing the signal from getting to/from it to the printer and to/from it to the wireless router.

If I try to print a job from the iMac, I get a message that the printer's offline; if I print a job from the printer to the Mac Pro, the printer's online.

HP Recommended

Well... here's some more info. I also run VM Fusion on my iMac and was trying (once again) to at least connect Windows to the printer. Well, it turns out that I have to install the HP printer software (for the Mac Pro) FROM THE iMAC WIRELESSLY. And when I'm asked if I'm connecting my iMac via a network or via USB, I'M SUPPOSED TO CHECK USB, even though I'm connecting through a wireless network. Gee, this is so obvious. Why didn't I think of it sooner? And when I did these things, guess what? My Windows (VM Fusion) docs print.

But the G-- **bleep** iMac (using OS X.6 -- and yes, it's been upgraded) doesn't even recognize that there are any printers on the network -- even when I've tried to connect via IP address.

When i was running OS X.5, I had absolutely no problem connecting wirelessly with an HP 960c. In fact, I didn't have to do anything. No special software drivers, no wireless wizard -- NOTHING. I just  hit "print" and it was one of the printer choices.

WHY IS THIS PRINTER SO DIFFICULT TO INSTALL? Truly, I'm about to return it to NewEgg and get an Epson or Canon that I can use. I have no need for a 25 lb paperweight. There's no reason why HP's customers should have to sign up to a discussion group in order to get esoteric instructions on how to use a supposedly simple piece of hardware.

Is anybody listening?

HP Recommended

While I don't have a virtual Windows environment on my iMac, I'll speculate that there is a built in firewall or NAT mechanism built into VM Fusion that effectively isolates your OfficeJet 6500 from the Windows session.

You might look for a VM Fusion configuration that allows direct connection of Windows network applications, like the HP printer driver, to your home network.

As for the connectivity issue on your Mac, can you access the 6500 from your Mac by browsing to the printer's IP address?  You can get the printer's IP address by pressing setup, then Network, then Print Network Configuration Page. 

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
HP Recommended

I think your problem may be the HP software from 10.5 still hanging around your 10.6 machine.

You said that you tried scrubbing, but I wanted to post this process just to be thorough:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Apple keys and click on Uninstall
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled, which is why we don't run this thing all the time)
Click Continue
Let the scrubber do it's thing.

Now, run a Software Update.

Next, reset the printing system (right click the printer area in System Preferences, Print & Fax) and re-install the printer.

You do not need any HP software since Snow Leopard has both print & scan drivers built-in. Scan from Preview or Image Capture apps. Scanning from the front panel of the printer does not yet work.

Finally, the HP 960C does have a 10.6 driver available from Gutenprint.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

Still no go.

After following the directions, I tried printing a Word doc wirelessly from my iMac (to the Belkin router <ethernet cable> Mac Pro <USB cable> printer). The Printer Status window says that the 6500 is "Copying print data..." which then changes to "Unable to get printer status (Forbidden)!" (The printer icon on the dock has a red star on it.) If I right-click on the printer icon, I get a pop-up window with a check mark next to "Auto Quit". It also says "Printer Ready" in grayed-out type.

Just for kicks, I also installed the DeskJet 960c using the Gutenprint driver you had mentioned. I tried printing with it & got exactly the same results. Are we getting closer?

HP Recommended

Getting closer...hmmm, not sure 🙂

Can you see the printer by putting its IP address into a browser?

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.