Question

Top Student
KeithAZ
Message 1 of 7 (6,572 Views)

OfficeJet 6700 - "Unable to communicate with printer" message after install

[ Edited ]

I am on a hybrid network with Windows 7, 64-bit. Printer is hard-wired to the router (ethernet) but laptops are wireless. Installation doesn't allow for a hybrid option, just wireless or wired, so I installed as wired.

I just installed the OfficeJet 6700 - installed OK.  I also updated software/firmware during the install process.

Windows' "Devices & Printers" recognizes the HP as being installed.

Printer is able to produce the network configuration page, etc. so we know the printer is functional, but when I try to print I get an "Unable to communicate with printer" message.

Windows' "Devices and Printers" troubleshooter thinks the driver is not installed, but as I mentioned, I just installed software from the CD.

UPDATE: I was able to install & print without problems on my wife's Win7, 64-bit laptop. Something about mine seems to be the issue. Also, HP Print & Scan Doctor reports that everything checks out OK, but when I try to print a test page at the end of the good doctor's diagnosis, I am still "unable to communicate with printer."

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 7 (6,510 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 6700 - "Unable to communicate with printer" message after install

What brand and model is the router?

Are any other error messages received?

Make sure the newest firmware is installed for this printer.  The update was released just a few weeks ago, so the printer may not have it.  It is designed to provide various fixes and enhancements for the printer.  One of enhancements includes improved ink usage.  Even if this does not correct this specific issue, it will help in the long run.

Was this installed from the CD?  Try uninstalling the printer completely and reinstalling using the download (Windows 7) to install the printer.  Try using the wireless option instead of wired.  While previous installers provided wireless and wired networks as one option, the new installer may be telling the computer to communicate through a specific NIC.  

Let me know what happens.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
KeithAZ
Message 3 of 7 (6,499 Views)

I updated the firmware during the initial install 2 days ago. Embedded Web Server is showing firmware version MPM3CN1232AR.

As suggested, I downloaded the driver from the website:

HP Officejet Full Feature Software and Driver
OJ6700_619.exe
012-01-30 , Version:24.2.0

I have also reinstalled the 6700 on the network using the wireless option.

Able to use "Scan  to Computer" feature on my laptop, but still no printing. Now not receiving any error messages, just sends the file to print queue - then nothing.

Connected USB/wired to the printer & the "Installing Device Driver software" dialog popped up. Once it finished, it created a second copy of the printer in my "Devices and Printers" list. I made this new copy my default printer. This one now prints OK as long as I keep the USB cord connected, but won't print if I unplug the cord. Like before, it sends the file to print queue - then nothing. As soon as I plug in again, it prints whatever is in the queue.

I was able to print (both wired and wirelessly) the test page from the Embedded Web Server on the "new" copy.

Switched back to the "original" copy of the printer and made it the default. Plugged the USB cord in again. 

Was able to print (both wired and wirelessly) the test page from the Embedded Web Server on the "original" copy but was not able to print any  other docs or txt files.

I'm still able to print (wirelessly) from my wife's laptop (Win7, 64 bit), so all is good there.

Feel like we're making a little progress, but hope to get untethered from the USB cord!

Thanks!

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 7 (6,475 Views)

Since a USB connection works for both printers on the computer, it sounds like the installed printer is set to use a printer port instead of the network port.

First, I recommend setting a static IP address for the printer according to step six of this document from HP.

Once the static IP address is set, perform these steps on one of the printers in Devices and Printers:  

1.  Go to Devices and Printers.

2.  Right-click the printer.

3.  Select Printer Properties.

4.  Select Ports at the top.

5.  Click on Add Port...

6.  Standard TCP/IP Port.

7.  Click on New Port...

8.  A install wizard will open.  Click Next.

9.  Enter the IP address of the printer (the static IP address that was set).  Port name should copy the IP address field (it may add something to it, but the default for Port Name is fine).

10.  Click Next and a summary will appear.

11.  Click Finish.

12.  Click Ok or Apply on the smaller windows that were opened.

13.  Make sure this printer that was modified is set as default and try to print.

Let me know what happens.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
KeithAZ
Message 5 of 7 (6,472 Views)

Sorry this is so long, but I tried to be through in my testing.

Followed your suggested steps.

I had previously set a static IP address, but just to be thorough, re-set it again with the same address.

I unplugged the USB cord from the laptop.

I began with the device labeled "HP OfficeJet 6700 (Copy 1)," which was set as the default printer.

After entering the IP address & clicking Next, it searched the network and returned this message:

Additional port information required

The device could not be identified.

The device is not found on the network. Be sure that:

1. The device is turned on.

The network is connected.

The device is properly configured.

The address on the previous page is correct. (re: the page where the IP address is entered)

If you are sure the address is correct, select the device type below.

I selected Standard (Generic Network Card) and clicked Next.

Summary dialog appeared and I clicked Finish.

Clicked OK/Apply.

Attempted to print. Like before, it sent the file to print queue - then nothing.

Right-clicked on the "Copy 1" device and selected Troubleshoot. Returned the message: Make printer "Fax HP OfficeJet 6700 the default printer" - even though this copy is already the default printer. (Usually when the original copy is set as the default, this copy is automatically re-named "Fax HP OfficeJet 6700.") I chose "Apply this fix."

Summary page said "Troubleshooting has completed." I closed the troubleshooter and attempted to print. I closed the Devices & Printers window so it could refresh. Re-opened Devices & Printers. Now the default printer is named "Fax HP OfficeJet 6700." The other device is grayed out and is simply named "HP OfficeJet 6700."

Attempted to print. (I'm testing w/ Notepad and .txt files)

I have 3 choices in the Notepad's printer dialog box but only 2 devices showing in the Devices & Printers window:

~ "Fax HP OfficeJet 6700" - This is the default printer in the Devices and Printers window. I clicked on Print & rec'd an error message: "Send Fax - HP Officejet 6700. There is a problem communicating with the Printer. Check your USB connection & verify that the printer is ready." Notepad's print dialog box shows status as Offline. I canceled all documents in the print queue.

~ "HP OfficeJet 6700." When I choose this printer option, Notepad's print dialog box shows status as "Paused - Offline." I clicked on "Print" anyway, and like before, it sent the file to print queue - then nothing. This is the printer that shows as grayed out in the Devices & Printers window. I canceled all documents in the print queue.

~ "HP OfficeJet 6700 (Copy 1)." There is no printer by this name in the Devices and Printers window even tho' it shows in Notepad's print dialog box. Notepad's print dialog box shows status as "Ready." In Devices & Printers, when I right-click on the one labeled "Fax OfficeJet 6700" (the default device) and choose "See what's printing," 2 HP devices are listed - the one labeled "Copy 1" and the one labeled "Fax." I clicked on "Print" and like before, it sent the file to print queue - then nothing. I canceled all documents in the print queue.

I plugged in the USB cord again and re-ran the same series of tests.

~ "Fax HP OfficeJet 6700" - This is still the default printer in the Devices and Printers window. Notepad's print dialog box shows status as "Ready." The fax window opened, waiting me to enter the recipient's name, add a cover sheet, etc. I closed the fax window. The .txt file was in the print queue for the "Fax" device, so I canceled all documents in the print queue.

~ "HP OfficeJet 6700." When I choose this printer option, Notepad's print dialog box shows status as "Paused - Offline." I clicked on "Print" anyway, and like before, it sent the file to print queue - then nothing. This is grayed out in the Devices & Printers window. I canceled all documents in the print queue.

~ "HP OfficeJet 6700 (Copy 1)." Again, there is no printer by this name in the Devices and Printers window even tho' it shows in Notepad's print dialog box. This is one of 2 choices in the device labeled "Fax" - the default device. Notepad's print dialog box shows status as "Ready." I clicked on "Print" and like before, it sent the file to print queue - then nothing. I canceled all documents in the print queue.

Next, I used the printer's touch screen interface and turned the wireless connection off, leaving the USB cord plugged in.

~ "Fax HP OfficeJet 6700" - Status: Ready. The fax window opened, same as before. I closed the fax window & canceled all documents in the print queue.

~ "HP OfficeJet 6700 - Status: Paused - Offline. I clicked on "Print" anyway, and like before, it sent the file to print queue - then nothing. This one shows as grayed out in the Devices & Printers window. I canceled all documents in the print queue.

~ "HP OfficeJet 6700 (Copy 1)" - Status: Error. I clicked Apply, then Print. Again, this is one of 2 choices in the device labeled "Fax" - the default device. Like before, it sent the file to print queue - then nothing. I canceled all documents in the print queue.

Reconnected to the wireless network & verified that the IP address had not changed.

Tried again to print using "HP OfficeJet 6700 (Copy 1)" - Status: Ready. I clicked Print and again, it sent the file to print queue - then nothing. This is still listed as one of 2 choices in the device labeled "Fax" - the default device." Like before, I canceled all documents in the print queue.

Next, I right-clicked on the one labeled "Fax OfficeJet 6700" (the default device) and choose "See what's printing" and selected the device labeled "HP OfficeJet 6700 (Copy 1)." In the print queue window, when I click on "Printer, one of my options is "Set as Default Printer." As soon as I did that, the device in the Devices & Printers window was renamed as "HP OfficeJet 6700 (Copy 1)" - no longer named "Fax." I tried to print again. Once again, file was sent to the print queue but never printed.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 6 of 7 (6,461 Views)

If the device being printed to is labeled as Fax, then it will not print since it is being sent to the fax side of the machine.

I will look further into this, but an automated tool may be the best option in the mean time.

Try using the Print and Scan Doctor on the non-fax printer.  The tool is designed to resolve many printing issues automatically.  If it does identify an error and does not fix it, it should give more information about the issue and how to fix it.  

The behavior indicated the printer software was using the wrong port, but manually creating the right port had no effect on the issue.

The printer works on a different computer and not yours.  Are there any different programs the other has (or doesn't have) when compared to yours?  The issue is purely software or the printer would not work on any computer.  

Verify that the computer is connected to the same network as the other computer.  

Also, go to Setup>Network>View Network Summary>View Wireless>Print Details.

What IP address and subnet mask does it have listed?

On the Computer, go to Start and search for cmd at the bottom in the search field.  

Select cmd and a smaller black window should open.

Type ipconfig and press enter.

Locate the section that matches your network connection (Ethernet for wired or wireless).

What IP address and subnet mask does the computer have?

Signature
Top Student
dorsborne
Message 7 of 7 (4,418 Views)

SOLVED!

HP please investigate this and issue a patch to fix ASAP.

It appears that connecting this printer to a router which supports WPA and WPA2 in it's wireless security settings can cause issues when trying to connect from a PC on the network.  From my experience this is periodic - sometimes the printer will be able to access the internet, sometimes the PC will be able to connect to the printer but this was really only occasionally.

To solve ths issue login to your router and change the security setting to WPA only and then reconnect the printer and any other wireless devices.  The printer can then be discovered from the Printers and Devices menu automatically and installed on any other PC without issue.

I think there must be a bug in the WPA/WPA2 code that the printer uses as it really struggles when working over wireless with my PC's.  For reference my router is a BT HomeHub 2 and my PC's all run Windows 7.  I can replicate this issue by switching back to using WPA/WPA2 security on the router.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation