OfficeJet 7410 wireless setup (6032 Views)
Honor Student
deb57
Message 1 of 14 (6,032 Views)
Accepted Solution

OfficeJet 7410 wireless setup

I have an OfficeJet 7410 All in One on a Windows 7 system.  I want to print wirelessly from my laptop to printer.  I have installed drivers and can print when connected but do not know what to do in order to print wirelessly.  Specific help would be greatly appreciated :smileyhappy:

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 14 (6,016 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 7410 wireless setup

The easiest way to do this is to plug the printer into the back of your wireless router with an Ethernet cable.  If you want a wireless connection between the router and the printer, on the front of the printer:

Setup > Network > Wireless Setup Wizard.

Now that the printer is connected to your router (does not matter how), print a Network Test from the Network menu on the front of the printer.  Note the printer's IP address.

1. Make sure the printer is turned on and connected to your network. Verify that you can access the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address before continuing.
2. Click >> Start >> Control panel >> Devices & Printers.
3. Click the Add a printer
4. Select Local printer
5. Select Create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP Port and click Next button.
6. Under Device type, select TCP/IP Device. Under Hostname or IP address, enter the printer's IP address. Click Next.
7. Select Hewlett-Packard from the list of manufacturers and select and select your printer model. Click Next.
If your printer model was not listed, then select Have Disk, browse the HP CD that came with your printer and select the first file that starts with hp and ends with inf. Click Open then OK. Select your printer model. Click Next.
8. If you are asked, use the currently installed driver.
9. It will ask for the Printer name -- enter a new name or use the existing one. This will be the name of the printer that you select from other applications.
10. You may be asked to share the printer. Choose NO.
11. The Print Test Page box appears. Go ahead and print it.
12. Click Finish.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
deb57
Message 3 of 14 (6,013 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  I think I did not give enough details.  I am wanting to print wirelessly from laptop to printer. No router or internet involved.  Just print from the laptop in one room to the printer in another room. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 14 (5,986 Views)

Oh, OK.  On the front of the printer: Setup > Network > Restore Defaults.

Now, on your PC, look for a wireless network named 'hpsetup'.  Connect to it.

Lastly, add the printer manually as outlined above.

I am employed by HP
Student
Rhay
Message 5 of 14 (5,678 Views)

I Have a Office Jet 7410 wireless  all in one and I would like to print from my laptop with windows 7 pro.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 14 (5,673 Views)

Rhay,

OK, on the front of the printer: Setup > Network > Wireless Setup Wizard.

On your PC:

1. Make sure the printer is turned on and connected to your network. Verify that you can access the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address before continuing. Get its IP from a Network Test printed from the front panel of the printer.
2. Click >> Start >> Control panel >> Devices & Printers.
3. Click the Add a printer
4. Select Local printer
5. Select Create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP Port and click Next button.
6. Under Device type, select TCP/IP Device. Under Hostname or IP address, enter the printer's IP address. Click Next.
7. Select Hewlett-Packard from the list of manufacturers and select and select your printer model. Click Next.
If your printer model was not listed, then select Have Disk, browse the HP CD that came with your printer and select the first file that starts with hp and ends with inf. Click Open then OK. Select your printer model. Click Next.
9. It will ask for the Printer name -- enter a new name or use the existing one. This will be the name of the printer that you select from other applications.
12. Click Finish.

I am employed by HP
Student
jojo17
Message 7 of 14 (5,395 Views)

My issue is similar: To Connect the HP 7410 wirelessly to my wifi network. In my case, the printer confirms that it is connected to the network, but the network cannot find it.

I am using a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7, 64 bit, and a D-link wireless router. The router has been working well for a long time, so has the Toshiba laptop.

I have another HP printer that is not wireless, or stopped working wirelessly ages ago, and a Brother laser printer which is connected wirelessly and has worked well for a long time. Nothing is changed with either of these.

I can connect and print with the HP 7410 with USB connection, but the point and purpose is to use the printer wirelessly, away from the router or computer.

I found the following instructions in more than one place in the HP forums. I have followed them, and the results are indicated.

1. Make sure the printer is turned on and connected to your network.

I followed the Wireless Network Wizard all the way through and it said “connected” and the blue wireless light is on in the front. The printer says that it is turned on. It says that it is connected to the wireless network. Signal strength 5. – all according to the HP Network Configuration Page.

Verify that you can access the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address before continuing. Get its IP from a Network Test printed from the front panel of the printer.

I got the IP from the Network Configuration Page and entered it into the browser. It “timed out” and did not find anything. I tried 2 other browsers with the same result.

To check it from my computer – I went to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Map; the HP 7410 does not show up.

I conclude that the HP 7410 thinks it is connected to the wireless network, but the wireless network does not agree. I have no idea how to resolve this – particularly since everything from the printer side says it is fine.

Nevertheless, I went forward with the instructions, just to see if some resolution would reveal itself.

2. Click >> Start >> Control panel >> Devices & Printers. Done.
3. Click the Add a printer Done.
4. Select Local printer Done.
5. Select Create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP Port and click Next button. Done.
6. Under Device type, select TCP/IP Device. Under Hostname or IP address, enter the printer's IP address. Click Next. Done both, Hostname and IP address.

That is as far as I get. The printer is not found. I am told to check to make sure it is on and connected. Yes, the printer says it is on and connected.

The rest is not done
If your printer model was not listed, then select Have Disk, [I do not have a disk] browse the HP CD that came with your printer and select the first file that starts with hp and ends with inf. [so is there some other way to get this file?] Click Open then OK. Select your printer model. Click Next.
12. Click Finish.

I followed whatever troubleshooter links were available, such as the one below.  [Screenshot does not copy].   In any event, after the printer claims to have joined the wireless network and I click “Next” as instructed, then we have come full circle and end in the same place. The network cannot find the HP 7410 printer, but the printer confirms that it is connected.

What is going on here? What am I missing? How can I break this cycle?  Help appreciated.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 14 (5,371 Views)

I suspect that your PC's security system is in the way.  Does it have a firewall?  If so, disable it and try again.  Perhaps try disabling the whole security system.  What security system do you use?

If that does not work, restart the router and make sure it has the latest firmware

I am employed by HP
Top Student
av8rdude
Message 9 of 14 (3,860 Views)

Hello everyone!  I haven't seen this issue discussed yet....

Hello everyone!  I haven't seen this issue discussed yet.

I have my OfficeJet 7410 connected via ethernet and it is working fine with my Mac OS X and with Windows 7 installed on my iMac in a Bootcamp partition.  My only issue is that I want to connect via wireless now instead of via ethernet.  When I tried to set it up, my printer saw my network right away but it wants a WEP password of a certain number of characters and my network is set up using WEP2 and my password contains 8 letters (one capital) and no numbers.  I have tried several times but the printer will not accept my password.  It wants a different format.  Can anyone help?

By the way, I know this printer is several years old, but it is still working perfectly, including scanning both to OS X and to Windows.  I really do not want to replace it, but I need to connect via wifi now.  Thanks for any advice.

Top Student
av8rdude
Message 10 of 14 (3,858 Views)

Re: Hello everyone! I haven't seen this issue discussed yet....

Hello again everyone!  Never mind, I found the answer on another question thread on this board.  I guess I hadn't searched enough.

Anyway, here's the solution I found.  I am using an Apple Time Capsule, but the same thing would work with an Airport Express.  I just went into the settings for the Time Capsule, selected Edit, then under Wireless, I just selected WPA/WPA2 Personal, and applied the change.  After the Time Capsule restarted, the OfficeJet 7410 immediately found the network and this time my network password worked.  Now I have one more available gigabit ethernet slot available on my Time Machine for other uses.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation