Question

Honor Student
candlebain
Message 1 of 23 (5,340 Views)
Accepted Solution

OfficeJet 8600 printing super slow over the network

[ Edited ]

I have a couple Macs with OSX Lion installed and am using the N911a model of OfficeJect Pro 8600. I've updated the drivers recenlty so its as current as it needs to be.

Here's a few more vitals:

OS - 10.7.3

Router: Apple Time Capsule

It's averaging around 3 to 4 minutes per page printing from any networked computer. I assume that isn't normal. How can I trouble shoot? I've seen posts about setting a static IP which I'm unsure how to do.

What suggestions do you guys have? 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 23 (5,310 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 8600 printing super slow over the network

I suggest setting a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). Yours is 10.0.1.2 to .200.  Let's use 10.0.1.220 for your printer.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Provost
banhien
Message 3 of 23 (5,306 Views)

Hi,

FYI: I ran few tests last week. You can ONLY get full speed when no other traffic on the wireless network. I think the AP has a bandwidth and many works will slow everybody down.

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
candlebain
Message 4 of 23 (5,301 Views)

I set a static IP and noticed there's a firmware ugrade I overlooked. After doing those things, its much fast. Thanks guys!

Honor Student
Stentdoctor
Message 5 of 23 (5,175 Views)

I am having the same issue with my HP Officejet 8600.  I have the printer pluged into an AppleTime Machine Router (Latest version).  I am running OSX Lion latest version.  So in my case I have my desk computer also plugged into the router.  The printer is networked because other devices communicate wirelessly with the router.  Initially, everything was great.  Now printing takes forever.  The print job spools out and the HP mac software waits forever until the job is handed to the printer.

So my issues happen both wired to the network and wireless.  Can anyone help me please?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 23 (5,171 Views)

Your printer is wired with an Ethernet cable, right?

Is your router firmware updated?  Have you restarted the router by pulling its power plug momentarily?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Stentdoctor
Message 7 of 23 (5,166 Views)

Yes, it is plugged into the router with an Ethernet cable. Yes, I have restarted the router after several minutes of it being off. My apple router reports no firmware updates needed. Any suggestions?
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 23 (5,158 Views)

Yup, let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). Yours is 10.0.1.2 to .200.  Let's use 10.0.1.220 for your printer.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Stentdoctor
Message 9 of 23 (5,155 Views)

Let me clarify - I am doing this on the WIRELESS- tab - even though I am connected "wired" to the router. I changed the wired to a fixed IP and got no results.
I will alter the wireless one too.
I will get back with you on the results.
Thanks
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 23 (5,152 Views)

Actually, if you have the Ethernet cable plugged in, the wireless will be disabled.  I don't have an 8600 to play with - is there a Network tab and then a separate IP area?

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation