OfficeJet Pro 8500 keeps going off the network (Disconnected) (20460 Views)
Student
Rob007
Message 71 of 88 (4,234 Views)

Re: OfficeJet Pro 8500 keeps going off the network (Disconnected)

I don't have the wireless problem  as i have the network wired only version but mine seems to be simular as in the print drivers for the 8500 series refuses to connect to the printer over the network.

I can ping the printer and get replies just fine.

I can open the printers web server just fine allthough i don't know what hp had set for the user and password.

To put it simply, everything shows the printer as being connnected to the network EXCEPT for the hp software regardless if its the installation software or the drivers, it's only the hp software that shows the printer as not being out there.

I have a officejet pro L7500 series printer connected to the same network and it works flawlessly. no problems printing to it with any of the computers regardless if the computers are wired or wireless connected to the network. I have used hp products for years without a lot of issues until this one printer that apperently everyone is having issues with in relation to network printing.

Oh and i've used the drivers downloaded off the website too in hopes of getting the most up to date but it seems that hp is not bothering with fixing the problem, so, it looks like the 8500 will be returned as defective and a different brand purchased to replace it.

Top Student
riwatsuki
Message 72 of 88 (4,203 Views)

I started to experience issues with my Dlink 655 Extreme N router on a wireless PC so I ended up getting a Netgear WNDR3700.  Surprisingly, the connection with the HP 8500 A909N has been solid.  There are two separate bands one at 2.4ghz and the other at 5 ghz.  Both are broadcasting the N band so my orginal thought of the 8500 having issues with N band, might not have been universal.  I am now assuming it was the implementation of the Dlink router that was causing the disconnect.  I was an early adopter of the N-band technology and the Dlink version I had was before they ratified the standard.  The Netgear was not cheap, but it has alleviated my discontent with the HP 8500 and some headaches with another wireless PC so it was worth the investment.              

Tutor
kingster1969
Message 73 of 88 (4,184 Views)

From a wireless perspective, I've posted what I found that worked here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-networking-and-wireless/HP-Officejet-Pro-8500-Wireless-A909g-Lo...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Linux by choice, Windows by corporate order...
Student
tristramT
Message 74 of 88 (4,153 Views)

I haven't gone through the entire discussion here in detail, so forgive me if this is not exactly appropiate. I have an OfficeJet 7310 with a wired connection to my LAN and recently got a new D-link router. I am seeing a problem with the printer be disconnected from the network, partucularly when I power it on. Resetting the router solves the problem. This is my hunch at the moment;  The HP software does not send out a DHCPDISCOVER packet, it always starts with DHCPREQUEST. When the router see this it responds with a DHCPACK but the release, renewal, and rebinding times are all set to 0 despite the DHCP server function in the router being configured with a more useful value. This apparently results in the printer not setting it's IP address but going through a constant cycle of sending immediately sending another DHCPREQUEST packet.  That is, until I reset the router. The router then takes tthe next DHCPREQUEST from the printer and replies with a DHCPACK that has the configured lease time. Communication and printing can then commence. I am investigating further. The recommendation in the short term is to put the printer on a fixed IP address.

Tutor
ShelleyS1
Message 75 of 88 (4,140 Views)

I have a 7380 which continually went offline. It was, of course, when it "went to sleep". I did give it a static (fixed) IP address but, unfortunately, that didn't work either. I tried everything HP (and everyone else) suggested. I've since disconnected it and, for the first time in 20+ years, sadly gone to another manufacturer's printer. But I wasn't using the 7380 wired, as you are. Perhaps you'll be successful in having your 7310 work properly, with a static IP, using a wired setup. Good luck!

Top Student
riwatsuki
Message 76 of 88 (4,090 Views)

kingster - thanks for pointing this out.  Now I am curious about tweaking these settings to see if that is the fix.  I have been solid with the Netgear router wihtout changing a thing on the HP Printer - Wireless setting, but I just might hook up the Dlink for another try to satisfy my curiosity.   

Intern
steve3948
Message 77 of 88 (4,077 Views)

Well I have a Netgear DG834N, all the wired networked PC's running XP are fine, but the Laptop connected Wireless to the network and running Windows 7 just keeps losing the printer every couple of hours or days it's never the same.

I have to add device and it finds the 8500 but solution centre will work unless I install the whole package all over.

Getting to be a right pain I can tell you.

Tutor
ShelleyS1
Message 78 of 88 (4,071 Views)

[ Edited ]

For what it's worth (and, as mentioned previously, I wasn't using the 8500 series but this problem is affecting a multitude of HP networked printers - hardwired and wireless) I had problems with three different, properly installed operating systems and properly installed and updated HP drivers and software - XP Pro, Vista and Sys 7 Pro. They all would, at different times and none at the same time, lose their connection with the printer. And, as always, the only way to regain it would be to restart the router. I even went so far as to buy different routers, attempting to see if the problem could be focused on the router. But it wasn't - the problem lies with HP and their printers/software. Personally, I believe if they would simply find away to keep the printer from powering down ("going to sleep") all would be fine, but that still would not solve the inherent problem.

Intern
steve3948
Message 79 of 88 (3,823 Views)

Since adding a fixed IP for the printer in my settings for the Netgear DG834N I have not had a problem.

This seems to have worked for me.

DNH Student
Student
DNH
Message 80 of 88 (2,918 Views)

I have been having same problem on wireless 8500, and my XP - also wireless.  The printer drops off line all the time and I just go to the printers and fax on the control pannel, select the printer and select "USE PRINTER ONLINE".  This is annoying.  The wrinkle is that I have a Mac laptop on the same wireless network and the printer never drops off line to that computer (so it seems that the problem is probably in the XP printer driver)>

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation