Question
OfficeJet Pro 8600 scans have vertical lines.
Replies (94)

Student
Winchester
Message 21 of 95 (4,338 Views)

Re: re vertical lines

Worked for me. Unplugged my Officejet Pro 8600 for a couple of minutes and the vertical streak problem during scanning is gone. I had the problem only on color scans both with the ADF and flatbed.

Tutor
Roses66
Message 22 of 95 (3,941 Views)

Re: OfficeJet Pro 8600 scans have vertical lines.

I have vertical lines also but only when I use the feeder and I have tried turning it off and on again however this does not help. This is very annoying so if someone has a cure, pleae let me know.

Regents Professor
garytech1
Message 23 of 95 (3,936 Views)

Hi Roses66,

I understand that your printer is getting vertical lines when using the ADF.  I would take a look at the document below and try the steps for cleaning the ADF.

Officejet 8600

Let me know how it goes. 

Tutor
spouses
Message 24 of 95 (3,931 Views)

I wrote in another message stream last year about this. The CCD sensor that scans the page is sensitive to electrical noise. Do not have the 8600 share a plug or power strip with anything that has a motor, such as a paper shredder. The noise builds up on the CCD and that is why unplugging the 86000 and waiting a few minutes also cures the problem....the electric noise on the CCD dissapates.

Those old enough to remember the old TV system will remember the video noise that was on the TV screen whenever Mom ran the vacuum cleaner. This is the same kind of electrical noise

Student
jingles436
Message 25 of 95 (3,352 Views)

Had the same problem this morning and was at my wits end trying to scan an important document.

Unplugged the printer and cleaned the glass and scanners now working.

Thanks for the advice :smileyhappy:

Student
SusanlM
Message 26 of 95 (3,314 Views)

The problem with the vertical lines is not static.  It is dust build up.  I just had our IT guy come to my desk.  I had a small speck of dust on the end of my flatbed scanner, as well as buildup on the scanner cover.  I wiped it down with a soft cloth, retried the copying and scanning function and it fixed the problem.  You must also keep the rollers in the ADF clean periodically with a wet cloth, to remove dirt and dust.

Tutor
820Rich
Message 27 of 95 (3,067 Views)

Mine is NOT dust unless I am supposed to break the thing to get anything else open... I have cleaned, swabbed and used forced air to work on every orafice of this printer and can't get the vertical line to disappear !!!

Any other ideas out there?

Top Student
FDaye
Message 28 of 95 (3,064 Views)

I have had my 8600 for about 2 years now, the lines popped up about a year ago, and I tried everything that was suggested. The only thing that works consistently is unplugging it for a few minutes and plugging it back in. I never know that there is a problem until I scan and when the preview comes up w/lines, it is very frustrating and time consuming to do this.....I am at the point that I have to unlug twice a week or more.

HP, is it possible to get a better solution to this problem? 

Tutor
820Rich
Message 29 of 95 (3,047 Views)

Yes I agree -- after unplugging the darned thing for an HOUR... it was then fine.  But this morning - first autofeed copy was fine... then the lines started again... and this is just on an autofeed copy... I am getting frustrated -- of course it is about 1 year and 6 month old -- is getting a new one the only solution?????

Top Student
FDaye
Message 30 of 95 (3,041 Views)

How about a replacememt due to manufacturer's defect?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation