Question

Top Student
rshsbpl
Message 1 of 13 (4,063 Views)

Officejet 6000 wireless keeps going offline

After a good deal of work, I have been able to connect my Officejet 6000 Wireless printer to two Mac computers wirelessly in my home.  They are a MacBook Pro and an iMac, both running the latest versions of Snow Leopard.  However, Whenever the iMac tries to print, I find that the printer is offline.  I have to push the WiFi button on the printer in order for it to illuminate, and sometimes also press the paper button or the power button, seemingly to wake up the printer.  Then it will print anything that is waiting in the queue.  This is very counterproductive, as the iMac is in another room and this necessitates many trips back and forth.  This problem doesn't seem to happen with the MacBook Pro, which is located in the same room as the printer.  Both computers are communicating with the Officejet via the same WiFi network, which is powered by a DSL connection and runs through an Apple Airport Extreme router, located within six feet of the printer.  Why is this happening and how do I make it stop?  Thank you. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 13 (4,061 Views)

Re: Officejet 6000 wireless keeps going offline

From where did you get the hp software for your Mac's?  If from a disc, was it labeled compatible with 10.6?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
rshsbpl
Message 3 of 13 (4,056 Views)

I downloaded the latest drivers from the HP website.  I almost never use the disc included with products as they're almost always out of date. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 13 (4,051 Views)

Good job on not using discs.  You are right, they are more trouble than they are worth.  As long as you never had any pre-10.6 hp software on your Mac's you are in good shape there and we can move on.

First, let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). Yours is 10.0.1.2 to .200  Let's use 10.0.1 220 for your printer's IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank. Click 'Apply'

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

Finally, let's reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
rshsbpl
Message 5 of 13 (4,041 Views)

I followed all your instructions and everything seemed to go well.  Now I can not get the wireless radio in the printer to turn on.  There is no blue light.  Pressing the WiFi button on the printer succeeds only in printing out one status report after another, all of which tell me, big surprise, that the wireless radio is turned OFF.  What to do? 

Top Student
rshsbpl
Message 6 of 13 (4,036 Views)

I checked my manual and press + held the wireless button for 3 seconds.  The blue light is now on.  I will recheck printing now and advise. 

Top Student
rshsbpl
Message 7 of 13 (4,034 Views)

The printer now seems to be responding to the remote computer (the iMac).  However, for a test page comprising six lines of black type, it took seven minutes before the printer responded and outputted the page.  There were no other jobs in the queue.  Any ideas as to what would be causing this unacceptable delay?  Thank you. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 13 (4,030 Views)

This happens on some Airport Extremes and I am not sure why.  Here are a couple of ideas:

- Make sure the gateway and DNS are blank on the printers web server.  If they are now blank, try filling them in (in both use 10.0.1.1 and leave the second DNS blank).

- When adding the printer, try a different driver using the "Print Using" pull-down.  Try OfficeJet 6500 or 8500.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
rshsbpl
Message 9 of 13 (4,027 Views)

I am currently rebooting the router and printer after entering the new values for the Gateway and DNS.  As for adding a different driver, the "Print Using" drop-downs are grayed out and unavailable.  Any idea why this would be? 

In addition, I notice that the iMac lists the Officejet as available through "Bonjour."  I would expect it to say "wireless" or "WiFi" or an internet address.  Does this mean that the iMac will NOT be able to access the printer if my other computer is not on and connected to the local area network?  This has happened in the past and is unacceptable.  Each computer needs to be able to access the print independent of the other. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 13 (4,022 Views)

OK, if this does not work and the other choices are grayed out, let's uninstall the software using the 'scrubber' option:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Restart your Mac

Now, run a Software Update.

Next, remove and re-install the printer in System Preferences, Print & Fax.

You do not need the software now since Snow Leopard has both print & scan drivers built-in. Scan from Preview or Image Capture apps. Scanning from the front panel of the printer does not yet work.

Bonjour is the correct version to choose and it will not block other computers from using the printer.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation