Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I too am using Snow Leopard, but why should that matter? (should it?)

The printer dozes off and will not awaken no matter what i do, unless I walk up to it, press a button on the panel or cycle the power...kinda defeats the purpose of having a wireless printer...especially if it keeps nodding off in the middle of my workflow constantly!

I havent been able to find a suitabe answer for this anywhere..the Static/dynamic IP thing made no difference..

Shouldn't there be some hidden setting somewhere that makes the thing stay online?

HP Recommended

I think I am having the same problem as everyone else??? 6500 Wireless via wired LAN won't print but Windows 7 shows print job complete NO ERROR MSG

HP Recommended

As with others posts Setup -  scroll to 7. Preferences then OK; scroll to 4. Set Prompt Delay Time then OK to Off does not work.

Is there any way to preven the printer from entering "SLEEP" mode?  This is a pretty straightforward question; either YES or NO.  If YES then please explain HOW.  If NO, then a firmware modification is called for to correct this.

HP Recommended

I made my 6500wireless go sleep as it should (blinking power button and other lights off, time display updating ok) with a connection in infrastructure mode over my 5 year old router finally. Printer wakes up as well as required. For this normal behaviour i had to switch WLAN DTIM interval from the default 3 to 40. Too bad my router doesn't save that setting and worse it's only available over telnet to the router.

If anybody can suggest a router that works with the 6500wireless, i would be happy to hear about it. HP only says they never had problems like we have with their routers they tested, but they can't publish the tested models. Little bit tokenistic i must say....hope they will think it over some time soon and try to keep customers...

HP Recommended

Joining in the chorus of complaints! 

Our configuration: Dell running Vista 64 bit, Verizon wireless router, the printer is in the same room as the Dell and the router but is not hard-connected; it's using the wireless connection.

I did set up a static IP address as others have suggested and while that seemed to make it slightly less likely to lock up (or at least, the time between lockups was usually longer) - AND *sometimes* it would respond even when in flashing-light mode.... it would still lock up.

I found another thread in one of these forums that suggested changing the settings to Setup / Network Setup / Advanced Setup / Set Link Speed / 100-Full (the default was 'automatic').  I did this last night, and when I came downstairs this morning, the light was flashing.... but when I pressed the power button IT RESPONDED.

I don't know which of the two (static IP, link speed auto-negotiation) fixed the problem... or even if it *is* fixed... but it's better than it has been in the past. Crossing fingers here....

HP Recommended

HP told me that this is a known problem with the 6500 and to wait for a fix.  I solved my issue by directly connecting the 6500 to my router/switch via ethernet.  If you go strickly wireless your 6500 will not wake up from sleep mode.

Nice feature isn't it - like it is a wireless printer so one would think HP would test this before the product is released??? DUH

HP Recommended

I'm connecting my 6500 to a WIRED connection on a work network, and I have the same problem with the printer going to sleep (power button blinks on and off) and not waking up when I send a print job. I have to power cycle the printer before it starts to work.

Does anyone know if this problem exists when you have the printer connected via USB?

HP Recommended

I knew that the problem was with the fact the printer was going into sleep mode, but I could not find any way to turn that function off.  Thank you for this post!

HP Recommended

I was wrong.  It lasted longer than before, but then it did the same thing -- went to sleep!

HP Recommended

Has this problem been solved?

I have bought a 6500 a couple of weeks ago and it freezes after about 2.5 days. After a few of these and a 2h chat with HP support (no solution) I took the printer back for a replacement. The new one does exactly the same.

It just happened that the first printer was installed using DHCP and for the new one I assigned a static address. Either way, it freezes.

I am using a Netgear WGT624T as an AP and a RT314 DSL router (wired). Connection is over wireless. Printer side:  WPA-PSK (auto),  encryption (auto - AES or TKIP); router side: WPA-PSK, Auto108Mbps mode.

Btw. The printer goes to sleep after a short while. If i try to print to it, it wakes up fine. Only after a longer time (around 2.5 days) it freezes and doe snot wake up. No buttons work any more (power or any other front panel). The only option is to pull the power cord.

I posted another message as the main topic. Sorry, I did not find this thread before.

Marek

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.