Question

Student
whatznext
Message 1 of 4 (266 Views)

Officejet 6500 wireless will not print with Windows 8.1

This printer won't print wirelessly or with the USB connected. The print & scan doctor never resolve the issue. Anyone have any possible solutions ?

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 2 of 4 (231 Views)

Re: Officejet 6500 wireless will not print with Windows 8.1

Hi whatznext,

I understand you are unable to print either wirelessly or with the USB cable with your Windows 8.1. I would like to help you with this. The Print and Scan Doctor can be very helpful, I am sorry to hear that it did not help this time.

Let's delete the printer driver from the Printer Server Properties and then re-add it again.

1. In the ‘Devices and Printers’ folder

2. Choose ‘Print server properties’.

• Win XP – With no printer selected, click ‘File’ then ‘Server Properties’.
  • Windows Vista – With no printer selected, press ‘Alt’ then click ‘File’ then ‘Server Properties’.
  • Windows 7/8 and 8.1 – Select any printer in the ‘Devices and Printers’ folder and click ‘Print Server properties’ above.

3. Click on the ‘Drivers’ tab at the top of ‘Print server properties’ window

4. Choose the printer you want to uninstall and click ‘Remove’

5. Choose 'Remove driver only'

6. The next screen will give a warning, letting you know that deleting the driver package will remove it from the system. Click ‘Yes’ to say that you are sure you want to do this.

If documents are stuck in the print spooler, you may see an error, cancel any documents pending in the print queue, or try restarting the print spooler, then try to remove the driver from ‘Print server properties’ again. If it still won’t remove the package, restarting the computer and the printer should resolve this ‘in use’ error and allow the driver to be removed.

After the driver is removed, open Start > All Programs > HP folder > Printer folder > HP Setup and Software

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, thanks.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
zxt Honor Student
Honor Student
zxt
Message 3 of 4 (149 Views)

I was able to get to the driver.  When I tried to remove it I got the following message:

Unable to remove HP 6500 Officejet 6500 E709n Series, x64, Type 3 - User Mode driver.  The specified printer  driver is currently in use.

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 4 of 4 (141 Views)

Hi zxt,

Please try removing the printer icon from your device and printers. If you still get a device in use error, you may need to power off the printer and shut down the computer. Please use the following instructions to clear your print spooler;

1. Click on “Start” button. Type Services in the search box. Press enter.

windows services

2. A Services console will open. Scroll down for “Print Spooler”.

print spooler service

3. Right click on it and select “Stop”. It will stop the spooler service. Since the spooler is stopped, it will not accept and print job.

spooler-stop

4. Go to C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\PRINTERS and delete all the files inside the folder. This step will clear all the current print jobs.

Note: This step will delete all the currently processed print jobs.

delete print jobs

5. Go back to Services console. Right-click on Print spooler service and select “Start”.

start print spooler

I found these instructions on the following site, Guiding Tech.

Now that the Print spooler has been cleared and restarted, you can try again to delete the driver from the Printer Server Properties from my first post.

If you continue to experience an issue please use the following steps to perform a complete uninstall and reinstall.

1. Hold down the Windows Logo key () on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box, type %temp%
  2. Delete all files and folders from the temp folder. Choose skip if any pop ups appear saying any of the files could not be deleted
  3. Download the software and choose to save as, save to desktop > HP Officejet 6500 Wireless All-in-One Printer - E709n full feature software and drivers
  4. After the software downloads and extracts, open the temp folder again, use the instructions from step 1.
  5. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)
  6. Open folder Util
  7. Open folder CCC
  8. If you have an HP computer run the L3uninstall.exe. If you have anon-HP computer run the L4uninstall.exe
  9. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer
  10. Follow these steps to reset the registry settings and options for Windows Installer.

• Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box
    • In the Open box, type msiexec /unregister, and then click OK.
    • Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box
    • In the Open box, type msiexec /regserver, and then click OK

If you have any difficulty with this step, please use this link to perform it another way. Restarting Windows Installer

11. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tool < How to Delete files using Disk Cleanup
  12. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
  13. Restart the computer
  14. Download and run the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows

The HP Printer Install Wizard for Window was created to help Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 users download and install the latest and most appropriate HP software solution for their HP Printer.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue. Thanks.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation