Question

Top Student
skeener11
Message 1 of 13 (2,873 Views)

Officejet 6500a plus will not connect to my network

I have an Officejet 6500a plus that I bought at Costco last week. I am trying to get it to connect to my home wireless network. I have PC's and Mac's connected successfully to this network. The wireless router is a Netgear MR814v2. I have tried the front panel/wireless wizard method of connecting-- it finds my SSID, but fails when it attempts to get connected to it. The diagnostics say that MAC filtering may be enabled. I have opened my router (no MAC filtering, no WEP/WPA enabled). I have tried the USB connection method (on both the PC and the Mac) to get the printer on my network, but with no success. I have tried powering off printer, router, etc. Still no success.

Please help! Thank you!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 13 (2,846 Views)

Re: Officejet 6500a plus will not connect to my network

Do you not have any security on your wireless?  You may want to enable security (WPA) with a strong 13+ character password.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
skeener11
Message 3 of 13 (2,843 Views)

I turned anything and everything off on the router in order to eliminate what might be the issue with getting connected. Will turn it back on if/when I do get connected (and hopefully stay connected).

Thanks.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 13 (2,833 Views)

Hmmm, make sure the router has the latest firmware and a fresh reboot.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
skeener11
Message 5 of 13 (2,814 Views)

Hmm...looks like my router is at the most recent firmware level available. It's a relatively old 802.11b router. :smileysad:

Any other thoughts besides a faulty device?

Thanks!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 13 (2,802 Views)

The device I would suspect is faulty is the router.  New routers are VERY inexpensive, it may be time for an upgrade.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
skeener11
Message 7 of 13 (2,769 Views)

Thanks for your input...you feel that even if this router has been working fine for all of the numerous home computers that have come through the house that it still may be faulty in the case of getting the wireless printer to connect to it? Is this a backwards compatibility issue with the printer and the 11b network possibly?

Thanks!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 13 (2,748 Views)

Possibly.  However, it may be that the router allow access to the Internet, but not between devices connected to the router.  Have you tried to communicate between two PC's on this network?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
skeener11
Message 9 of 13 (2,654 Views)

Thanks for your input again, it is much appreciated. Bear with me while I try to understand your suggestion though...getting my wireless printer to connect to my wireless network/router seems to be a different issue than 2 devices talking to each other over said network, no? If so, then what else could be the problem here --- not that I'm ruling out the router as the problem, it just seems that since I have no other problems with PC's and Mac's and 2 TiVO devices connected to it with no problem, then why only this printer? And if you are saying that you think that any issue w/2 devices talking on this network is the root of this problem, then please explain what this printer is trying to do on my network other than just get a connection?

Thanks in advance for the education!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 13 (2,632 Views)

Well, the printer is really trying to do two things - connect to the Internet and connect to other devices on your network (router) - namely your PC's (and the PC's to it).  This will be required to print, scan, etc.

It may not be because your router is old, but perhaps faulty in allowing connections between devices.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation