Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Many routers that have USB ports only support portable hard drives on that port.  Check your router's specs to be sure it supports printers.

Once you verify it supports printers and you plug it in, you should be able to add it just like a network printer.  What operating system are you using?

Also, remember, that USB port wil NOT support scanning, only printing (if that).

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

My router specs is here at: http://www.netgear.com/service-providers/products/cable/gateways/cg3000-cg3100.aspx#tab-techspecs

My OS is Windows 7 for one of laptops; I have a mac book air.

Thanks a lot!

HP Recommended

From the manual for your router: "USB port: The USB port is a USB host and can be used for connecting a USB hard drive, flash drive, or printer."

It should work (for printing, not scanning).

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

OK. I tried yesterday, and it did not work. Could you give me some help for that?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Open System Preferences (from the Apple menu), go to Printers & Scanners.

Click the plus sign to add a printer. Select the Defualt tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and then next to the "Use" pulldown, select the printer model (not AirPrint). Wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.