Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I noticed that my PC and printer were not in the Homegroup.  So I fixed that.  But i still can't complet the software installation.  Nothing has changed.  The software still can't find my wired network pritner, even if i enter that static IP address.

I aldo tried connectng the printer to another router port and rebooting and printer and router.  Again no help.

It doesn't make sense why I can print but not scan.  Obviously the printer is visible on the network for printing.

HP Recommended

Hi there Ron,

I am thinking that a more in-depth uninstall might help this scenario. Try these steps in order:

1. Hold down the Windows Logo key () on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box, type %temp%
  2. Delete all files and folders from the temp folder. Choose skip if any pop ups appear saying any of the files could not be deleted
  3. Download the software and choose to save as, save to desktop > HP Photosmart and Officejet Full Feature Software and Drivers
  4. After the software downloads and extracts, open the temp folder again, use the instructions from step 1.
  5. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)
  6. Open folder Util
  7. Open folder CCC
  8. If you have an HP computer run the L3uninstall.exe.
  9. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer
  10. Follow these steps to reset the registry settings and options for Windows Installer.

• Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box
    • In the Open box, type msiexec /unregister, and then click OK.
    • Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box
    • In the Open box, type msiexec /regserver, and then click OK
       *Note: there is a space between the c and the /

If you have any difficulty with this step, please use this link to perform it another way. Restarting Windows Installer

11. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tool < How to Delete files using Disk Cleanup
  12. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
  13. Restart the computer
  14. Download and run the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows

Hopefully that helped with the software installation issue!

Let me know the results:)

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I tried to follow the instructions but some are different for Windows 10.  Also, there is no L3uninstall.exe.  But there is an Uninstall_L3.bat so I used that.

I followed the rest of the instructions.  The HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows did not find the printer so it couldn't proceed.  I tried running the file I downloaded just in case, but it sill doesn't find the wired network printer.

BTW, there is still an entry for the the HP Officejet 7400 series in the devices and printers page of control panel.

HP Recommended

I have a few more suggestions for you Ron.

So it seems print driver and connection are fine. The scan driver isn't being loaded as the install is not completing which is why both Solution Center and Scan and Capture fail to work. I wonder, if we take the printer out of programs and features (if it's there) and print server properties, drivers tab under devices and printers, clear the temp files, then unlock the hidden system admin account, if you reboot and log into that system account, if the printer can be installed there. If that is successful, when logging out of that account and back into your normal account the printer, scanner, and software should all function fine. I hope!:smileysurprised:

Step 1: Remove Driver:

1. Click on your Start button

ps 1.png

2. Just type Programs and Features. If a search doesn't automatically start, you may need to type Programs and Features in the 'Ask me Anything' box.

3. Click Programs and Features to launch the window.

4. In Programs and Features, a list of programs installed on your computer will populate. Please scroll down the list and look for your HP Officejet. If you see your HP Officejet listed, click it and choose Uninstall.

5. Please follow any onscreen prompts to complete the uninstall. Once the uninstall has completed successfully please close Programs and Features.

6. Next, click on your Start menu again

7. This time type Devices

8. Click Devices and Printers to launch the window.

ps 2.png

9. In Devices and Printers look for your HP Officejet. If you see if please right click on it and choose 'Remove' or 'Delete'

10. Once your HP Officejet is no longer showing in Devices and Printers please click on any device under the Printers list once just to highlight it. Click Print Server Properties at the top

ps 5.png

11. Click on the Drivers tab

12. Look for your HP Officejet driver. If listed, please click on it and choose Remove

13. Select Remove Driver Only

14. Select OK

15. Click Apply and OK under the Print Server Properties window.

16. Close Devices and Printers. Please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Clear Temp Files:

1. Click on your Start menu

2. Type Run. Click Run to launch the Run dialogue box.

ps 3.png

3. Type %temp% in the Run box and click OK

ps 4.png

4. When the Temp folder opens, select Ctrl + A at the same time on your keyboard. Everything in this folder will now highlight.

5. Select the 'delete' button on your keyboard. The Temp folder contains temporary internet files. No actual files or folders on your computer will be affected by deleting the Temp files. Should a Temp file still be used than you will automatically get the pop up to 'skip' that item.

6. Close the Temp folder once it is emptied

7. Right click the Recycling Bin on your desktop and select Empty Recycling Bin. Please proceed to the next step.

Step 3: Unlock Hidden System Administrator Account:

1. Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard and the Run box populates, type CMD and press enter
  2. CMD will populate as a search option above, just right click on it and 'run as administrator'
  3. Once CMD (Command Prompt) opens, type net user administrator /active:yes and hit enter
    on your keyboard
  4. Next, close CMD and restart your computer
  5. When your computer comes on log into the new Account that should show. It will be called Administrator and will not have a password on it.
  6. If your computer automatically logs into your Account after restart than go to your Start menu click the arrow beside 'shutdown' and choose 'switch user'. Now log into the Administrator Account.
  7. Under the Administrator Account please click here to download the Full Feature Software and Driver package for your printer.
  8. Once the download is complete please follow the onscreen instructions to install your printer
  9. Once the installation is complete please open the HP Solution Center software to confirm the the scan software opens and functions correctly
  10. If HP Solution Center software now functions fine, please log out of the Administrator Account and back into your normal User Account.
  11. Under your User Account, the printer Full Feature Software and Driver package should show fully installed. Please click on the HP Solution Center icon to confirm if it still opens correctly. If HP Solution Center opens fine please perform a test scan to confirm functionality.

If the HP Solution Center software works fine, you will need to hide the Administrator Account.

Step 4: Hide the System Administrator Account:

1. Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard and the Run box populates, type CMD and press enter
  2. CMD will populate as a search option above, just right click on it and 'run as administrator'
  3. Once CMD (Command Prompt) opens, type net user administrator /active:no and hit enter
  4. Next, close CMD and restart your computer

When your computer comes back on please test the HP Solution Center software again to confirm that everything is still functioning as per normal.

Let me know the outcome,

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I did all that and it still didn't work.

In device mnager, there is no printer listed.  However, under Other Devices, HP 7400 Series is listed twice.  I uninstalled both using device manager, then ran the software again, and this time there is no Other Devices.  Now I can't print unless I add the printer back to Devices and Printers.

This just keeps getter stranger.

Any ideas now?

HP Recommended

Hi Ron!

Yes, strange is a term I would have to agree with in this case!:smileyindifferent:

I am down to my last suggestion, which would be to try running a System File Checker Scan to try to fix and correct any system errors. If that scan does not help repair the problem, I'd then recommend getting in touch with the computers manufacturer to repair the operating sytem.

Click this link to get to the Microsoft website for the instructions on running the scan:

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files 

You can try running the scan up to three times, if you wish, just to make sure it's picking up any corrupted files. Try running the installation again afterwards.

I really, really, hope this works!

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I  ran sfc /scannow.

It found one file that needed repair - MicrosoftEdgeS.quare44x44.scale-125_contrast-white.png.  I ran dism to fix it and it worked.  Then I ran sfc again and it found no issues.

I don't see how a graphic file could cause the problem.  I ran the software again and it still can't find the network printer.

I was able to add the printer back to devices and printers so I can still print.  I guess it just used the basic print driver.

This worked so well with Windows 7.  But now still no scanning.

I'm guessing the problem may be with msconfig.  I still can't get it to make the changes you suggested, even in safe mode.  And I haven't found any way to repair msconfig.

HP Recommended

I forgot to mention.  I wonder if the printer needs a firmware update.  I couldn't find one on the Hp support site.

Here is what the printer web servier reports for the firmwae:

Firmware Version: RL6002xNx

HP Recommended

Hi Ron,

I checked the hp.com website for firmware updates, and there are none available for this printer. As for the issues with msconfig, you can try posting the issue in the Microsoft Forums to see if a Microsoft expert can figure out what is happening with it. When msconfig is repaired, try the printer installation again.

Microsoft Forums - Ask the Community

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Ron,

I am not sure if you have found a solution to your problem or not but I can tell you what I did to fix mine.

Like you, I have a wired Officejet 7410xi printer that I tried to get running on a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit machine.  This machine was a brand new (clean) install of Windows 10 (not an update from Win 7/8x) and has a brand new SSD.  I was running into the same things you were using the lastest HP Full Function package from the HP Drivers.  I can ping my printers address, I can access the web interface,  and I can manually install it via Windows Devices and Printers by setting up a TCP port and downloading the drivers from Windows Update.

Here is what I did to resolve my issue ----  Install the HP Full Fuction Software for Windows 8.  Yep, the same software that I had when I was running Win 8x at home found the printer ON WINDOWS 10 that the Windows 10 software did not.  

I would suggest HP software take a look at their Windows 10 installation and compare it to the Windows 8x to see why the 10 cant see the printer but the 8x can.

Best Wishes,

Matt Miracle

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.