Question

Honor Student
Rajj
Message 1 of 9 (17,427 Views)

Officejet J6480 wireless connectivity

Two days ago I bought a brand new J6480 and after reading all the threads in this forum was surprised that I am not the first one having problems connecting to this printer wirelessly. I have already spend 4+hrs without any luck trying every solution the other threads in this forum have prescribed.

I am shocked that inspite of all the issues (of this printer wireless) connectivity with the "HP Office Solution" center HP has not tried to provide a comprehensive documentation of how to go about resolving the connectivity issues. I sincerely hope an advanced user or a HP personnel would post step by step detail on how to connect the printer successfuly on a  wireless network, possible issues and solutions

I am an above average techie and I know I have been following all the instructions/solution prescibed correctly.

I hate to go through the motions of packing this baby and sending it back- too much work, The printer has the features I need if it will work.

Thanks in advance to ones who try and help me.

Rgds

Rajj

PS: BTW I was able to successfully connect the printer via the USB connection option 

Honor Student
mrmatz
Message 2 of 9 (17,411 Views)

Re: Officejet J6480 wireless connectivity

Rajj

I am having the same problem.  I can connect only via the USB.  The software does not sequence in the same way the manual descibes.  For example, I am never prompted to 'disconnect' the usb.

It's frustrating and consuming too much time.

It would be great if HP had some comprehensive information about this problem.

Regards

Steve

Honor Student
Rajj
Message 3 of 9 (17,400 Views)

Steve-

This is going to sound corny, but after I wrote the thread I kept trying different ways to connect this printer wirelessly and one of those steps worked, I am connected and am thrilled. Hope i do not run into issues.

Here is what i did. I started from the windows printer page ("Control Panel-Printer" ) and "File-Find Printer-Add a Network Printer" The modem found the printer wirelessly and then I specified the driver location(CD drive) This time Vista loaded  the driver correctly(finally), I was able to then print wirelesslyusing the windows print option

To connect with the the HP Solution center(to use scan feature etc) I had again go through the motions of loading the software (the one I downloaded from the HP webpage-do not use the cd) this time the solution center found the printer wirelessly (no asking for USB connection) and voila it is functional.

I know I have not been very descriptive (as some of the advanced users are)- but I hope this helps. I have invested more than 6+hrs now to get this to work, would be glad to answer additional questions  and help out. 

HP documentation and sofware sucks! and looks like they are not putting it any efforts to fix this.

Good Luck

Rajj 

Honor Student
mrmatz
Message 4 of 9 (17,383 Views)

Rajj

Congratulations on your success.

You solution seems limited to Vista however and I am using XP. I will try downloading software from the HP website as I work through the problem.  This is day 4 with no wireless connection.

Regards

Steve 

Intern
tpanc13
Message 5 of 9 (17,365 Views)

mrmatz,

I didn't see a problem entry for you, so I am replying here.  http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Networking&thread.id=1115 documents my wireless problem. On about 14 days now, but I can get it workingUNTIL I power off my PC or just RESTART the PC. ALWAYS I have to power-cycle my router to establish even a XP-to-printer connection BEFORE I can ever print. I am curious, is the PC you are trying use hardwiared (network cable) to router?

If I change my hardwired PC to wireless, everyhitng works every time. If I go back and use network cable to router instead of PC wireless, I am back to not being able to get to printer without bring my network down and reinitializing (Power-cycle). 

Honor Student
mrmatz
Message 6 of 9 (17,353 Views)

Hello

I spent some time on the HP chat support system this morning that has taught me a few things about how the system configures and what gets missed by the installation software.

My baseline conditions: windows XP OS, wireless communication netword viz router, HP J6480 all-in-one, it recognizes my wireless network and has correct SSID, installation software from HP has established one J6480 icon on my 'Printer and Faxes' screen via the control panel, printer only functioned for me if attached via USB, wireless not working

I have been able to solve my problem by doing a few things:

one, find out the printer's IP address, plug IP address into browser, verify that printer IP works and that printer is 'visable', critical step: right click J6480 icon on the printers and faxes screen, select properties, select 'ports' tab, click 'add port', select Standard TCP/IP Port and 'new port', follow installation wizard and enter J6480's ip address, go back to right to J6480 icon on 'printers and faxes' right click, select tabs, make sure new TCP/IP port is checked, click 'apply', go back to 'printers and faxes' screen, right click J6480 icon, select 'Enable printer.'

This worked for wireless printing.  I have not solved the rest of the wireless functions i.e. scanning etc.  That will be for another day.

Regards

SM

Student
phagg
Message 7 of 9 (15,244 Views)

Rajj,

You're a genius!  I bought this printer several weeks ago, and have spent WAY more than 6 hours trying to get the wireless communication going.  I had two HP live 'chat' sessions, each 3-4 hours long, and they were totally useless!!  These guys said the problem was windows vista and not an HP problem.  Never mind that my laptop is an HP pavillion and it came with vista already installed!  Like I had a choice.  I was so frustrated.  Today i decided to sacrifice one more saturday afternoon and if it didn't work, it was going back to the store!  I found your blog and followed the steps, and it finally worked! 

I have not yet tried the HP Solution fix, but will try that too.

Buyers beware!  HP documentation and support is LOUSY.

Pat 

Student
atthezoo
Message 8 of 9 (9,057 Views)

Hi-

Can anyone with a j6480 write the specific directions down to use the menu on the printer that enables it to find the network.  My LCD is bad and I cannot read the prompted directions.

Thanks

Student
Doreendo
Message 9 of 9 (2,982 Views)

Thank you it worked like a charm .. Doreendo

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation