Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Im Having trouble Connecting My Hp Officejet Pro 8600 To My Apple Mac , Version 10.5.8. Can You Please Give Me Assistance ..

HP Recommended

I have a fix for this issue, after going through to HP.

The answer is to turn off the sleep mode.  If you are happy to do that then do the following.

Press the COPY button on the screen.  This highlights the HOME key (to the left of the screen at the top) and the RETURN key (to the left of the screen at the bottom).

Note where the HOME and RETURN keys are as you will need to press them in the following sequence, whilst they are unlit.

HOME, RETURN, HOME, HOME, RETURN.

This will open the 'Engineering Menu'.

Select the 'Underware Menu' :OpenSmile:

Scroll right arrow until you see SYSTEM MENU.

Scroll right arrow until you see SYSTEM MODE TIMEOUT.

Select OK and use the left arrow to set the SYSTEM MODE TIMEOUT to 0 (zero) seconds.

Click OK.  Then click the RED X until you get back to the main screen display.

Your machine will now not go into sleep mode.

HP Recommended

Man I've tried the "disable sleep mode" work-around, I've tried setting a static IP address on the printer with a DHCP reservation on the router, but no luck.

I'm happy to say that over a month later, the static source-NAT work-around has been consistently successful.  Does not fix the problem that the HP8600-eAIO loses the ability to ARP for a default gateway as best as I can tell since the printer cannot route, but it allows for networks in my house/lab to continue to talk and recieve responses from the printer.

Sorry it took me a while to respond to the request for more information on how to setup NAT rules but hopefully better late than never if even all I'm going to say is "you have to Google it..." 😉

I don't want to paste a bunch of links here because not sure if that will be frowned upon from the forum admins, but if you simply Google "linksys source-nat" (or replace linksys with your home router vendor), you'll see lots of helpful links come up.  Specifically with the linksys search, there's a youtube video "Tutorial to opening your nat with a linksys router" and it will walk you through, with commentary, on what you need to do and why you're doing it. 

Regardless of your router vendor, if it's fairly recent, I think it should have some NAT'ing capability.  You'll just need to do your homework to determine if you can accomplish this with it.

Not going to get people across the finish line I realize, but every vendor, and every model router is going to be different, therefore the steps to completing this task are going to be different and I couldn't possibly outline it for all... so hopefully a nudge in the right direction is enough to get most folks interested enouigh in trying, started.

Good luck all... and sure wish there was something from HP in all of these helpful threads, but unless I missing it still seems like they're off in the shadows selling more printers.

Oh well.

HP Recommended

I have had the same issue for weeks with this new HP8600.  Drops off the wi-fi router, even though wi-fi led shows connceted.  Will not print, etc.  Only way is to power off and on again.  I seems to me it started with the recent update to the HP.

Saw where some folks went into MFG menu and changed the system mode timeout to zero, and that did not seem to work for them.

Had a static IP from the beginning.  That has made no difference.  I will try resetting the router next.

Frustrating.  My previous HP had no issues, and could wake up on a LAN request, unlike this HP8600.  I will likely take it back for a different brand.

HP Recommended

Yes, completely agree that HP should issue a recall and we should all get new printers. The amount of time I've spent rebooting the printer and reinstalling printer driver software would pay for a new printer tenfold, not to mention the frustration of a printer that works only intermittently. To top it all off, it scolds you for unplugging it even when that is the only way to wake it up again so it will work. Amazingly poor product for this generation of wireless printers.

HP Recommended

Besides a static IP, make sure it's outside the DHCP range of your router. That's what fixed it for me.

HP Recommended

Excellent point.  Although there are numerous utilities that can list the active IP addresses on your LAN, they have to be ACTIVE at the moment you are checking to be visible, Similarly, when your router is assigning a new address, the router will have only the IP's listed in its' pool of DHCP assigned addresses already, and if your static and dynamic IP ranges overlap, there is a good chance you will get two clients with the same IP address and neither will have reliable connectivity.

HP Recommended

Yes, the use of an address outside of the DHCP server does not work.

Apparently HP(tech support and engineers do not work either.  this long delay to resolve this issue is unsustainable and unprofessional.

HP Recommended

I too was suffering from this connectivity issue, but I think I have found a solution. At least one that works for me.

It all has to do with the lease time of the IP address, supplied by your DCHP server. I think the problem is that the printer, when idle, doesn't renew its lease on the IP address, as it should.

I solved this by setting the lease time for any IP address on my wireless router to 100 days.
So far, so good: the blue wireless light on the printer has stayed on and doesn't blink any more.

It goes without saying that it still is ridiculous that HP hasn't solved this issue. A simple addition to the firmware, making sure that it renews its lease every few minutes. Come on, HP! Every 30 dollar printer on the market does a better job at this.

So, HP Support. Make me and everybody else suffering from this silly issue happy, and do something about it.

Can't be that hard, can it?

HP Recommended

Thanks a TON! This worked.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.