Officejet j6480 not connecting to wireless (2197 Views)
Honor Student
jhockin
Message 1 of 6 (2,197 Views)

Officejet j6480 not connecting to wireless

I have an HP j6480 that was working just fine.  Then it stopped connecting.  I have uninstalled the software on my main PN (running Vista Home edition) and reinstalled.  I have Verizon FIOS and a router that they provided.  It has been working for 6 months.  I have three computers that are connected wirelessly in my house.  When I run the wireless set-up, it does not detect my network and even if I put the SSID in manually, it does not find the network.  ANy suggestions?
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 6 (2,203 Views)

Re: Officejet j6480 not connecting to wireless

Do you have other devices connected wirelessly to your Verizon FIOS router?

Next we can check to see if the radio in the J6480 is operating correctly:

1. On the printer, press and release the <*> and the <#> keys simultaneously.
  2. Press 1, 2, 3. on the keypad.
  3. Use the right arrow button to scroll through the menu items until you see "Connectivity Diagnostic Menu". Press OK twice to run an internal diagnostic report.
  4. At the bottom of the report you should see a wireless survey of all detected networks.

If you see any networks, then we know the radio is operating properly.  If you don't, then either the radio is turned off (is the blue light on?) or the radio has failed.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
jhockin
Message 3 of 6 (2,172 Views)

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response.  It was connected to the FIOS router wirelessly before.  I have three other computers that connect to the FIOS modem wirelessly and are having no issues.

The diagnostic report says no wireless networks found.  The blue light for the wireless is on, so it sounds like my radio has failed.  Is this something that can be fixed or replaced?

Again, thanks so much for helping.

John

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 4 of 6 (2,160 Views)

I have to ask -- you've tried power-cycling (pull the plug -- wait a minute -- plug it back in) the printer, right?

I'm guessing the printer out of warranty -- right?

Regards,

Jim B 

( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
jhockin
Message 5 of 6 (2,152 Views)

Hi Jim,

Yes, I power cycled and yes it is out of warranty.  I guess I am out of luck.

Thank you for your help.

John

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 6 of 6 (2,113 Views)

Hi John,

Please contact me via email: wireless at hp dot com. I'd like to run one more experiment.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation