Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a P1006 connected to an Apple Airport Express on a home network. The Airport Express has a static IP, and the router is configured so that it also knows that the Airport Express has a static IP.  I have a similar configuration with a second printer (Epson) that works reliably.  However, print jobs sent to the P1006 vanish.  I have used this arrangement in part to keep down the cost of replacement printers in the future (since they need not be purchased with built-in network connectivity.)  I had some earlier connectivity to the P1006 earlier by using Windows Bonjour, but because of a wish to also be able to print to this printer from a Windows Mobile 6.1 Pocket PC using Jetcet (the PPC does not have Bonjour) tried going to direct IP printing.

This has not worked.

I have considered replacing the Airport Express because I know that HP printers have traditionally had an issue with being able to print from wireless print servers (given the additional cost and reliability this always seemed odd to me) and thought that perhaps using an HP print server might solve the issue.  Although this slightly undercuts my goals, if it would consistently work with HP printers perhaps it would make sense.  I looked at the HP 2101nw Wireless G Print Server, compatibility with the P1006 looks questionable.  However, a post in this forum on December 19, 2008 in a thread called Re: Wireless Print Server compatibility for HP LaserJet P1005 seems to be a cut and past of other info from the HP site and lists the P1006 as compatible.

Can someone clarify this?

If the HP2101nw and the P1006 are not compatible, is there ANY print server that will work?  For example, the HP Jetdirect ew2400 802.11g?  Or, it need not be wireless though that would be preferable.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

More data.  I came across an HP flyer for this printer that lists connectivity (this morning was the first time I found this in my online searches):

Connectivity
J7942G HP Jetdirect en3700 External Print Server (USB, 10/100TX)
J7951G HP Jetdirect ew2400 802.11g Wireless and Fast Ethernet External Print Server
J7988G HP Jetdirect en1700 External Print Server

The latter two have sales on right now that may make this worthwhile.  Do these REALLY work?

HP Recommended
BUMP
HP Recommended
I'm using the P1006 with a Zonet ZPS2112 multi-port print server. It was straightforward to get it working with Windows XP. But Vista was a challenge. I finally had to plug the printer into the Vista laptop's USB port and let Vista install it as a plug-n-play device. Once that was done, I unplugged the printer from the laptop and back into the print server. Then I went to the printers applet in the Vista control panel and changed the port for the newly installed printer from USB to the TCP/IP port I had set up for the print server. It was a pain, but it worked. And just in time... I was getting ready to take the printer back.
HP Recommended

This could help you.

I was having trouble installing a HP P1006 Laser Printer on an Apple Airport.  I worked for many hours with no avail.  When plugged into the USB on the MacBook Pro, it printed great.

I noticed when the printer “self installed” using the USB, the name of the printer is

HP-P1006; and when I install the printer on the AirPort, it is called

Hewlett Packard HP-P1006.  Having nothing to loose, I selected the Hewlett Packard HP-P1006 using Bonjour, then in the name below, I deleted the name Hewlett Packard_ leaving only the name HP-P1006.  In other words, matching the name of the printer when using the USB.  Too my amazement, it worked.   I can now print wirelessly on the HP-P1006.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.