PLEASE HELP!!! Printer won't connect/stay connected! Driving me INSANE! (9755 Views)
Student
dolphie409
Message 1 of 13 (9,755 Views)

PLEASE HELP!!! Printer won't connect/stay connected! Driving me INSANE!

I recently purchased an HP Photosmart Plus wireless printer for college and it had been working perfectly fine until last night, when I desperately needed it to work, of course. Every since yesterday the printer refuses to print anything. Every time I try to print from my laptop it says that it cannot communicate with the printer and I have tried everything the help section says to do about this. NOTHING IS WORKING. I tried turning it off and on a few times. I tried disabling and then enabling the wireless radio. I tried removing webservices and then putting them back. I do not know what else to do and this is a MAJOR problem! The computer says it is connected to the internet (hence how I can be posting this now) and the printer also currently says that it is connected to my wireless as well. But like I said, when I go to print the computer comes back with an error that says something along the lines of "unable to talk to printer, cannot communicate server". I have tried and tried again and I need this to work. There is no reason that I can find why it shouldnt already be working since I used it two days ago to print and things went just fine but it isn't...so please, please, please PLEASE, someone, help me!

Grad Student
Essika
Message 2 of 13 (9,742 Views)

Re: PLEASE HELP!!! Printer won't connect/stay connected! Driving me INSANE!

Shut down your computer

Unplug the printer

Unplug your router, wait 5 - 10 sec plug it back in

Plug in the printer

Power on the computer

Wireless menu,

Restore network defaults

Wireless menu

Wireless settings

Wireless Setup Wizard

IF YOU'RE ON A MAC!

Reset your print system (This will delete ALL print drivers)

Apple menu

System preferences

Print and Fax

Hold CTRL on the keyboard

click in the white box on the left (where the printer names are listed)

Release CTRL and click on reset print system

After deleting the printers, click the "+" sign to re-add the printer.

Be sure to select the wireless or bonjour printer.

Trained on Mac and Windows for inkjet printers.
**Although I work for HP, I do not represent them in these forums**
If I've resolved your issue please mark as Accepted Solution so others can use my advice! ^.^
Top Student
Meengin
Message 3 of 13 (9,730 Views)

On a different printer I has a similar problem, it wasn't a printer issue but a firewall issue.  When Norton 360 did it's usual update it also reset it's Firewall settings and because the printer was listed as "Unknown Device" it defaulted it's permisions to Restricted.  might be something to look into.

Real simple fix with norton just clicked on edit trust changed it to Shared and renamed it Printer.

Knowledge is a fountain of wealth and mine only cost me a couple of bucks in late fees.
Top Student
trivalleyplumbi
Message 4 of 13 (9,418 Views)

I am not able to print anything off the internet.  My HP Officejet 6500A Plus in new, from Best Buy, and I can't get it to print off the internet!

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 5 of 13 (9,409 Views)

If you are able to print from your other programs, but not your browser, then give this a try:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01812475&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4083977&tmp...

If you are not able to print at all:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02114788&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4083977&tmp...

007OHMSS

I am a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
Honor Student
nancybstan
Message 6 of 13 (3,691 Views)

I have the same problem, in that my wireless printer won't stay connected to internet.  

I have to turn off, wait, turn back on, unplug, etc.  EVERY TIME I USE THE PRINTER and if I have more than ONE page to print, I must do it repeatedly.

This happens when faxing, also.   I had a 16-page fax that took around 2 hours to send in it's entirety. 

It is maddening.

This photosmart estation printer is great when it works, which is about 1/10th of the time.

If anyone has another suggestion, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Honor Student
need-n-r-gee
Message 7 of 13 (2,314 Views)

I have the 6500a plus. Kept disconnecting also. Drove me nuts for a while also. Tried everything. HP download fix didn't fix it either. Finally, I got a long eithernet cable and connected the printer directly to the wifi modem. There is a connection in the back of the printer. This fixed it. It stays connected all the time now to all the wifi computers in the house. Apparently, the problem was between the modem and the printer rather than the computer to the modem/printer.

Honor Student
nancybstan
Message 8 of 13 (2,309 Views)

Thanks, somebody else told me to do that, also.   I have not done it yet, but it makes sense.  Thank you for your reply!

Student
Janellsue
Message 9 of 13 (1,778 Views)

printer wont connect/stay connected....help

Honor Student
jacrane
Message 10 of 13 (1,732 Views)

I have a  H. P. photosmart D110 that has periodically had to be unplugged while on to reset but always worked. Now every day I have to turn off the computer, unplug the modum and the wireless connector. Wait awhile and then turn everything on and it then works. If I don't it says the computer can't connect to the printer. The wireless connection isn't being made without resetting every day. Is there some way to stop this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation