Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have realized that HP will not support basic functionality for their premium printer products. So I have shifted to Canon MG-series instead and it has been working perfectly from day one, without any problems when connecting wireless to a network using several AP's with same SSID name - regadless if these AP's use same channels or not (in fact they should not be configured using same channels, as this can affect network performance).

HP Recommended

Sounds like a perfect solution to me!  HP, you listening?

HP Recommended

One way i found it working is to configure the AP router (closest to printer) with the "lowest channel" number while other AP using same SSID to have "higher channel" numbers.

In my case, i have 3 AP with same SSID. Originally the AP closest to printer had channel number 11 whereas others were configured for channel number 1 and 6. I faced the problem mentioned in this thread for many months and was frustrated with the printer behaviour. During trial and error, i realised that the problem gets resolved when i modify the channel number of closest AP from 11 to 1.

HP Recommended

QUOTE:  My suggestion would be to hard-wire the printer to one of these location using an Ethernet cable and installing the printer Network > Ethernet and see if this alleviates some of the confusion.

WHAT??  Isn't the reason we buy a printer with wireless network connectivity to not need to hard wire to an ethernet port?

HP Recommended

I just want to add that in my case, every client WORKS with my multiple SSID setup EXCEPT my HP printer.

I've read multiple threads about this problem and there are multiple HP printers that have these issues. Statements like using an ethernet cable for a wireless printer and pointing out that there won't be any firmware update because "the model will be replaced soon", make me angry.

If there's not going to be a firmware release to tackle this problem, I will sell my printer and never buy an HP product again.

HP Recommended

Please check my response on 26th May. I think this may help. 

"One way i found it working is to configure the AP router (closest to printer) with the "lowest channel" number while other AP using same SSID to have "higher channel" numbers.

In my case, i have 3 AP with same SSID. Originally the AP closest to printer had channel number 11 whereas others were configured for channel number 1 and 6. I faced the problem mentioned in this thread for many months and was frustrated with the printer behaviour. During trial and error, i realised that the problem gets resolved when i modify the channel number of closest AP from 11 to 1"

HP Recommended

I have confronted this issue repeatedly with all of HP's wireless only printers. Just recently we had an issue with 3 HP 7520's in a home with 3 WAPS. 2 of the WAPs were Pakedge W3N and the third a Linksys E300 router configured as a WAP.

Only one of the printers created a real issue becuse its location had some signal from two or more WAPs. The closest WAP (20ft) was a Pakedge W3N which worked perfectly with iPads, laptops and various other wireless devices yet, the printer preferred connecting to the E300 WAP in the Attic (80ft through two floors). The WAP in proximity was on channel 1. The Attic on channel 6 and a distant WAP also Pakedge on channel 11.

We removed the pakedge on channel one and brought the E300 from the Attic and connected it in its place. The printer worked fine.

We then purchased another E300 (assuming we had a faulty acces point) and installed that in the Attic on channel 1. The problem returned.

For some strange reason, regardless of channel or manufacturer, the printer attempts to connect to the weakest WAP. The only thing that crosses my mind is the physical cable distance from the WAP to the router. But that would be absolutley foolish as a reference of connectivity.

We have replaced this printer with an HP 6700 which provides wired/wireless connectivity.

We have advised all of our clients NOT to purchase HP wireless only printers.

They have made what was once difficult an absurd disaster.

HP Recommended

@Vikesh wrote:

Please check my response on 26th May. I think this may help. 

"One way i found it working is to configure the AP router (closest to printer) with the "lowest channel" number while other AP using same SSID to have "higher channel" numbers.

In my case, i have 3 AP with same SSID. Originally the AP closest to printer had channel number 11 whereas others were configured for channel number 1 and 6. I faced the problem mentioned in this thread for many months and was frustrated with the printer behaviour. During trial and error, i realised that the problem gets resolved when i modify the channel number of closest AP from 11 to 1"

Tried this, didn't work.

I'm sorry but if the printer errors ("More than one access point/wireless router has been found that matches your network name (SSID). If this is not intended, your HP printer may connect to the wrong network.") upon detecting multiple AP's under the same SSID... Than this is BY DESIGN, thusly a FAULT on HP's behalf and this should be mentioned in the specifications (period)

You can not request a channel number change from a user who is not tech savy or does not have the authority to change the channel numbers, like a student in a dormitory for example. Who would be plenty if you can't afford more than 100$ on a printer by the way.

I've bought a Brother: worked out-of-the-box on my triple AP network.
And gave the HP 3070a to my family who only have one AP.

@jarnodb wrote:

... pointing out that there won't be any firmware update because "the model will be replaced soon", make me angry.

I think this is a throw-away buy-a-new-one just-replace-it statement which will want me to avoid a vendor in the future.
My phone, my laptop, even my car gets software updates. And my new Brother printer too.

@jarnodb wrote:

If there's not going to be a firmware release to tackle this problem, I will sell my printer and never buy an HP product again.

HP Recommended

"One way i found it working is to configure the AP router (closest to printer) with the "lowest channel" number while other AP using same SSID to have "higher channel" numbers."

I know it has been a while, but this suggestion worked for me.  Thank you!

I have a few Apple airport wireless devices around the house and was having problems, this solutions fixed the issue.  When using the iphone airport utility, I was able to fix the 2.4Mhz channels, but still allow the 5Mhz channels to be 'auto'.

HP Recommended

I ran into this exact same issue after I added a second access point with an old router. I have been able to get around this problem (at least it's been working for a bit now) through the following:

Followed the solution for a separate wifi issue here, in order to prevent wireless connection timeout. 

Then, I temporarily changed the SSID of my second access point. I then ran the wireless setup for the printer again, making sure to select my primary router. After doing so, I was able to connect to the printer on the computer having issues. I then changed the name of my second access point back the same SSID. Since doing so, I have maintained connection.

It seems that temporarily clearing up the printer's "confusion" to initially connect to a certain router is enough. I don't know if my first step of disabling timeout is required, but it's possible that if the connection timed out it would run in to the same connection issue.

This is still a sort of hack workaround, and I'm very dissapointed that HP hasn't come out with a fix, even if the networking is so "complicated."

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.