Question

Top Student
ktb615
Message 1 of 5 (2,962 Views)
Accepted Solution

PSC C4780 - Connects to Wireless Router, Then Disconnects, Repeat...

So I have a C4780 that is having a problem similar to what other people are experiencing with different models.

It seems like the printer cannot stay connected to the router for more than 30 seconds.  I will watch the display on the printer and the signal strength will be full one minute, and gone the next minute.  While it is full strenghth, I am able to connect to the printer's webpage from my computer and print from my computer.  Whenever the signal goes away, so does my ability to communicate with it.  I am using a Linksys WRK54G wireless router.   Also connected to it are my HP Pavilion dv7-1132nr laptop and my Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.  Neither of them lose connectivity to the router or the internet during this.

When I installed the printer, it gave me three errors.  It told me to unblock the following ports from my PC to my printer:

UDP 427 @ 192.168.1.102

TCP 9220 @ 169.254.21.72

UDP 161 @ 169.254.21.72

I tried opening these in my firewall as well as completely disabling the firewall.  Neither approach worked.  However, I don't believe the problem is between my PC and the printer, but rather the router and the printer.  Either the printer does not want to stay connected to the router, or the router does not want the printer connected to it.

It's late and I've been working on this all day, including an hour and forty minutes on the phone with tech support.  If anyone can think of any information I left out (I'm sure there is plenty), I'll be glad to provide it.

Thanks,

Kevin

Intern
RedRedRed
Message 2 of 5 (2,951 Views)

Re: PSC C4780 - Connects to Wireless Router, Then Disconnects, Repeat...

I've seen similar issues.  I haven't hunted this issue down completely, yet, and hate to give you the 'shotgun' perscription, but it is better than you losing use of the printer.

The 169.254.x.y address is problematic for the software driver.  The following three things have helped other people a lot.

1) Give the printer a static IP address - one that is on the right subnet (192.168.1.x)

* You have to tell your router AND the printer what the IP address is, so the router won't give it out to someone else, and so the printer knows what it is.

* I don't have that model printer in front of me, if you can't figure it out, let me know and I'll track down instructions.  If you can't figure out how to set your router, I will try to find a reference in its manual.

2) Make sure your computers only have one connection to your router.  If you are hard-wired AND wireless to your router, it may confuse the driver's networking code.

3) Go to your firewall and unblock things as the installer instructed, but replace every reference to 169.254.x.y with 192.168.1.102 (assuming you give the printer the 102 number in step #1 above)

Having said that, you may be right in your assertion that the problem is between the printer and the router.  Your description of the signal strength indicator is strange.  How far is your printer from the router?  How does this distance compare to other network devices on your network?  Are there any walls or bookshelves between the router and the printer?

-- Brian

(I am an HP employee, but this post is my opinion.)
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 3 of 5 (2,943 Views)

From what I've seen, the printer gets a 169.254.xxx.xxx IP if the router channel is set to Automatic, or any channel other than 1, 6 or 11. So try changing the channel to 11 and run the wireless setup wizard again. This has resolved the issue for me many times.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
ktb615
Message 4 of 5 (2,940 Views)

Thanks for both replies.   I woke up this morning with a fresh start and noticed that the printer seemed to be acting fine when both computers were turned off.  This led me to the same conclusion you had Brian.  I gave the printer (and both computers) static IPs on the network and now everything seems to be working fine.  I'm a bit shocked that the DHCP server couldn't work that out on it's own, but oh well.  Everything is working now.

Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I may try your option as well at a later time Dexter.  Never hurts to find two ways to fix a problem.

Thanks for the help, and as a pointer if someone else has this problem, my best solution was to give my computer a static IP first outside of the range of the DHCP table so that it wouldn't conflict.  Then I was easily able to connect to the printer's internal webpage and set its static IP as well.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Intern
RedRedRed
Message 5 of 5 (2,916 Views)

Glad to see it's working out for you!

Once you feel comfortable that this is a long-term work-around, can you accept one of the solutions?  That way others that are having these same symptoms will see "Solved" on the thread header and won't have to hunt so much for a solution. 

-- Brian

(I am an HP employee, but this post is my opinion.)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation