Photosmart 2710 printer wants WEP key, changed to WPA. (1425 Views)
Student
TiffanyTea
Message 1 of 13 (1,425 Views)

Photosmart 2710 printer wants WEP key, changed to WPA.

I need to set my HP Photosmart all-in-one printer up on my new network.  Just changed providers, have new router and newer security - WPA now instead of WEP.  The only option my printer gives me to set up the new wireless connection is to enter a WEP key.  I don't have one now!  I have a WPA password, but it won't accept that.  It keeps telling me it needs a 5 digit or 13 digit WEP key!  HELP!

Distinguished Professor
sabretooth04
Message 2 of 13 (1,401 Views)

Re: Photosmart 2710 printer wants WEP key, changed to WPA.

[ Edited ]

Re install the printer using your CD and follow the instructions that came with the printer here.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=420428&

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I used to work for HP, but now I'm retired.
Top Student
GaryMF
Message 3 of 13 (1,275 Views)

Im having the same problem.  Moved and now have FIOS and want to keep using my WPA key which is a phrase. 

BUt the printer wont' stop asking for WEP. 

I'm using Mac and OSx 10.7. 

I lost my install disc and hte link says you basically just use OSX for the driver. 

I've tried everything... resetting the printer factory defaults, now i'm hooking up via ethernet..... but the printer wont' stop asking for WEP. 

I called HP and they were rude and not helpful. After first saying "this printer only takes WPA not WEP" I said great, thats waht I want but then they cahnged their tune and swapped it when I said it is asking for WEP.   THen they said it's out of warranty and refused to help!!!!

Someone please tell me how to get the printer to go back ot using WPA!!!

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 4 of 13 (1,257 Views)

GaryMF,

What printer do you have?

Thanks,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
GaryMF
Message 5 of 13 (1,252 Views)

i have the Photosmart 2710. It's an all in one fax/printer/copier. the one this thread is about

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 6 of 13 (1,249 Views)

I believe they were confused when they said that the printer only takes WPA. That is true of some of the more modern printers, but definitely not this one. This printer was manufactured before WPA was used as much as it is today, if it was even used at all at that time. That is why it is asking for WEP, because that is the only kind of encryption that it will accept. 

When you switched to FIOS, i'm assuming that they also gave you a different router. The old one was probably configured with WEP, that is why your printer worked fine. When you switched to FIOS, they gave you a new modem that was set up using WPA encryption. If you would like the printer to work, you will need to go into the router settings and switch the encryption type to WEP. You ISP should be able to assist you with this if you need help. If they will not, post the brand and model of your router in here and I will see what information I can find. 

Thanks,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
GaryMF
Message 7 of 13 (1,246 Views)

Thanks for your reply.  I could switch my router to WEP but  can WEP be a phrase or it has to use hex?   I already set up my iphone and laptops to use WPA and it's a simple phrase. 

i also heard WEP is not secure.    

The weird thing is someone on this or another thread posted instrucitons for hte printer that said there is a step where the printer askes you to specify if it's WPA or WEP by pushing 1 or 2 (or 2 or 3)....... it's in an HP document 

so that is why I thought this printer could take either one because it was int he HP documentation. 

What I did to solve it for now is, I have my FIOS router on WPA, but I have an apple time capsule which until now was not acting like a router.  So I turned it on as a 2nd router with WEP transition mode and am using the printer on that network. 

i'd rather just use the FIOS one, so let me knwo if ti's possible to 1)  switch the printer to WPA like that manual suggests or 2) if WEB can be a phrase not HEX.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 8 of 13 (1,219 Views)

WEP can be set a a phrase, it doesn't have to be hex. However I did see this note in one of the guides...

"For Macintosh users: If the network is set up with an Apple AirPort Base station and you are using a password instead of WEP HEX or WEP ASCII to access this network, you need to get the equivalent WEP key. Your network administrator can get the equivalent WEP key by running the AirPort Admin utility."  

It says if it is set up with the Airport Base station, but it may also apply to other network setups as well. 

WEP is not as secure as WPA and WPA is not as secure as WPA2. 

After looking at the support guides on HP's website, it looks as if it should take WPA though. Unless the guides are off. Sometimes the guides are general for a whole line of printers and some of the steps are off. I do have some steps I pulled from one of the guides that we could try real quick though.

1. On the control panel of your HP all-in-one, press the Setup button.
2. Press 8, and then press 4.
3. Select "Enter a New Network Name (SSID)", even if you already see your network SSID. If necessary, use the down arrow to highlight it, and then press OK.
4. Enter the SSID. Use the arrow buttons on the HP all-in-one control panel to highlight a letter or number on the visual keyboard, and then press OK to select. 
NOTE: You must enter the exact uppercase (capital) and lowercase (small) letters. Otherwise, the wireless connection will fail. 
5. When you are finished entering the new SSID, use the arrow buttons to highlight Done on the visual keyboard, and then press OK.
6. Next, press 3 to select WPA encrpytion and enter your key. 
NOTE: The WPA key is also case senative, you must use either uppercase or lowercase, depending on what your key uses.
7. When you are finished entering the WPA or WEP key, use the arrow buttons to highlight Done on the visual keyboard, and then press OK.
7 Press OK to confirm.

Try those steps and let me know if they work!

Best of luck,
Kyle

Signature
Top Student
GaryMF
Message 9 of 13 (1,214 Views)

Thanks Kyle. The issue is it never gives me Step 6. it just goes to WEP "Enter WEP keky"

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 10 of 13 (1,211 Views)

At step 3 are you just choosing your current Network Name (SSID) or are you selecting "Enter a New Network Name (SSID)" ?

Those steps are any for if you go with the latter, as the "Press 1, 2, or 3 for so-and-so" is not presented as an option when selecting your SSID out of the list.; only when you enter it manually. 

Then again...I don't have this printer with me and I'm just going by the user guide on the web site. That guide could definitely be off.

Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation