Question

Tutor
jack96161
Message 1 of 15 (3,479 Views)

Photosmart 5520 cannont connect to network

Have spent days on this and 10+ hours on the phone to Manilla for tech support -- no one has come up with a solution.

We ran down all the usual problems with firewalls, made sure there was no MAC filtering, etc., etc. and made many. many attempts to do this in a dozen different ways -- no joy.

I have a home network that has performed flawlessly for several years - NetGear RangeMax router WPN824v2, Mimo 2.4Ghz 802.11g -- an HP Pavillion PC running XP SP3 is attached to router with Ethernet cable, other devices are attached wirelessly -- e.g., an older Apple MacBook, a new Apple iPad2, and visitors who are given the WEP password regularly use the Network with a number of devices  with no problems.

I purchased a Photosmart 5520 to provide a wireless printer for my network -- followed all the steps to install, got all the way to discovering the printer on the network -- but the software indicated it was unable to connect to the printer. Im a retired former HP employee with 40 years experience as a computer scientist with Internet experience that dates from ArpaNet, but I'm clueless when it comes to wireless stuff...

Spent days installing, re-installing, on-line with both NetGear and HP support techs and still no connection. The printer display shows it is connected (blue light), the last attempt as guided by an HP tech was to manually insert an IP for the printer (10.0.0.245) -- the printer Network Configuration Page shows all the correct information, including the correct SSID for my network and correct MAC for my router -- in short, it looks like it's happy with everything.

and installed on the correct network.

The Wireless Network Test Results also look good -- everything is PASS, Excellent, etc., and again identfies the correct network -- all is good until the last line of that configuration information:      "- Internet       Not Connected"

Browsing to (and attempts to ping) the assigned printer IP (10.0.245) fail, so I guess the printer thinks it's on the network, but in fact is not?

Over on the embedded server for my router at 10.0.0.1, all the information looks fine, and under attached devices, NetGear indicates:

Attached Devices

#  IP Address  Device Name                               MAC Address
1 10.0.0.2      HSD-1                                        00:17:31:e1:05:cf
2 10.0.0.3      IPAD                                           18:20:32:98:8d:93
3 10.0.0.6      TIVO-750000190237EFB   00:11:d9:39:b1:dd
4 10.0.0.245 7EFB                                          28:92:4a:08:4c:86

Notice the last entry -- IP assigned to the printer and same MAC as displayed on the printer. Clearly the printer and router have connected and exchanged information at some point.

HOWEVER... the Photosmart installation software still cannot "discover" the printer and fails to connect. Needless to say, the iPad and other devices can't find it as well.

Is there ay way to determine if this printer is simply faulty in some way and I need to return it? I'm running out of time (and patience!)

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 15 (3,466 Views)

Re: Photosmart 5520 cannont connect to network

I think your printer is fine and it appears connected.  It may not be able to access the Internet (for features and updates), but let's worry about that later.

First, download and run this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03286146&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

What does it say?

I suspect that your antivirus software's firewall may be in the way.  Go to the antivirus control panel and disable its firewall.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
jack96161
Message 3 of 15 (3,457 Views)

I should have mentioned that I've been unable to install the HP Print and Scan Doctor -- it loads and starts, but half-way through searching for devices it falls over with no indication of why -- I'm running the latest XP SP3 and have no problem installing anything else...

I have tried disabling my Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security anti-virus completely with no effect. Even did yet another software install with TM disabled at the time -- same results.

I agree that it appears that the printer is OK, which is why I've delayed returning it, but all the NetGear techs, all the HP techs, and I have run out of things to try. Incidentally, the router was a gift from a personal friend -- one of the founders of NetGear and cuttent Chief Technical Officer. He set it up and if this is a router configuration error, I'll have great fun rubbing it in !!!

Question -- if the printer is installed and connected, why can no other devices (like an iPad2 or MacBook) see it as well?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 15 (3,450 Views)

So can you get into the router settings?  If so, see if some kind of Isolation is enabled (AP Isolation, Wireless Isolation or the like).  Disable it if you find it.

The fact that the Print & Scan Doctor does not install indicates that there may be something corrupt in your XP system (this would not be a surprise if the XP has been installed for more than a year).

Can we use the MacBook a bit?  It is not only connected wirelessly, it is more stable than XP and (hopefully) does not have any 3rd party antivirus/firewall that would get in the way.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
jack96161
Message 5 of 15 (3,436 Views)

I can get to the router settings on NetGear just fine -- I didn't set them up in the first place and frankly, this is the first time I've ever bothered -- it has just worked.

Yes, this PC almost certainly has some glitches that have developed over the last few years. I keep it current with XP SP3 updates and patches, but it has been a workhorse I use to develop and maintain a few websites on. I've been afraid to tear down and rebuild it until I have reasonable backup -- like a new PC?  In which case I'll just install Linux on this one.

Unfortunately, the MacBook is my wife's ancient non-Intel version, which we definitly need to replace since more and more things are not supported on it. It is running OSx Leopard and can't be updated to anything else.

In the router configuration, it's set to use WEP, automatic authentication. Something called "enable Trend Micro Security Services is enabled, but it appears to simply allow NetGear to access the results of any Trend Micro anti-virus scans -- I haven't tried turning that off yet. Under Wireless Router Settings, both Wireless Router Radio  and SSID Broadcast  are enabled, as are Port Forwarding.

Under WAN settings, there is a check box for Disable SPI Firewall that is unchecked -- what might this be?

Also, UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) is enabled -- I know there have been security concerns over using this, but I make extensive use of Google Voice VOIP and I think this mat be necessary for that.

Do any of these router setting look suspicious?  Also, my "installer" left the SSID as default "NETGEAR" (after all, it is his company...) and among the 18 networks that can be detected here (hi-tech neighborhood), there is one more with the same SSID -- however, it's signal strength is much lower, and I've made sure to connect (using my WEP password) to the correct one.  Can't believe taht makes any difference, but there it is...

Many thanks for any clues you can give me...

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 15 (3,432 Views)

Oh, thanks for the thorough post about your router settings!  There are a few items in there that look suspicious.  Let's change them and then re-test.  Make notes so you can put it back the way it is currently if it does not work out.

1. Do not use WEP, it is not secure at all and can lead to connectivity issues.  Change the router encryption to WPA/WPA2 and create your own password - make it a strong one - at least a dozen characters, numbers and letters, upper and lower case.

2. Change your SSID to something unique.

3. Change your router from Auto or its current channel to channel 11.

4. I would disable the Trend Micro Service.

5. The WAN firewall is for keeping bad guys out from the Internet, leave it be.

Let me know how it goes.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
jack96161
Message 7 of 15 (3,422 Views)

OK... here's what I tried:

For the moment, I disabled WEP and ran the router with no security.

Disabled the Trend Micro service.

Changed the router to Mode: b and g, channel to 11 (choices are:  b only,  g only,  b and g,  or auto 108mps --

(it was set to auto 108mps and channel 6 -- in this mode, channel 6 is fixed and can't be changed).

Results: 

First tried to ping the printer address (10.0.0.245) -- timed out.

(Am I correct that if it was really connected, I should be able to?)

Tried to run HP Printer Setup & Software utility -- asked to Convert a USB connected printer to wireless...

it detected that the printer is already connected -- (to my network,,,), asked if I wanted to use this network,

I said yes, and it attempted to Search for printer, but failed with Unable to Find the Printer

Back at the printer, I printed another WIRELESS NETWORK TEST RESULTS which looked like it did before, again warning that the printer is not connected to the Internet. Only change was it indicated channel 11.

The only thing on your list I didn't try was changing the SSID -- I'm paranoid about loosing Internet connection entirely.  NetGear provides a neat means of saving all your setting in a .cfg file so I did so before I started. Then it dawned on me that if I completely screw the router up and can't get back on the Internet, how do I log into the NetGear embedded server to reset it??? Aha!!!  I copied the settings onto a thumb drive so that worse case I could use someone else's PC and connectivity...

So far, everything else still works -- just not this blasted printer!!!   What now? Can it really be confused by two SSIDs being "NETGEAR"?  The other one has a much weaker signal, is protected by WPA-PSK security and I have no clue who it belongs to.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 15 (3,419 Views)

Thanks for all of that.  Unfortunately, I think we shoud pick on Trend Micro.  Uninstall it completely using the uninstaller in Start > All Programs > Trend Micro.

Restart your PC.

Finally, test again (yes, with no antivirus protection...you can unplug your ISP line if you feel better about it).

I am employed by HP
Tutor
jack96161
Message 9 of 15 (3,409 Views)

As suggested, I completely uninstalled Trend Micro, restarted the PC, and.... same results.

- Can't ping the printer address (10.0.0.245) -- which I can do with everything else installed on the network.

- Running Printer Setup & Software fails at the same point -- can't discover the printer.

- Printer works only on a USB connection, which makes it redundant for my purposes -- not what I bought it for.

At this point, I'm back to suspecting a faulty printer -- it simply is not responding to any attempt to address and access it, and I need a printer that can be accessed wirelessly. I have several other printers that work fine hard-wired.

Is there a way to do a hard hardware reset to take the printer back to its out-of-the-box settings so I can start over from scratch?  At this point, with all the things the HP tech support people had me do to try to get this working, I have no idea what may have been set in some of the ROM firmware -- certainly the IP address they had me set manually survives every restart of the printer, including power off (i.e. unpluggin the power cord) and restart, so some of the internal settings are in ROM, not RAM. Can they be erased without shipping it back?

I can understand that something in my PC may be preventing the PC from wireless access to the printer, even though every other wireless device seems to attach and function properly on the same network. But -- when the printer gives every indcation that it is connected to the network but fails to respond to a simple ping, and attempts to access any embedded server with its assigned address fails as well -- it really does look like a faulty product.

Barring any ideas you may have for adjusting printer settings that might make a difference, I'm ready to box it up and ship it back to HP.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 15 (3,398 Views)

Yeah, I understand.  You have been through a lot and have tried about everything I can thnk of short of re-loading Windows.

On the front of the printer: Setup > Tools > Restore factory defaults.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation