Question

Intern
kvetch
Message 1 of 11 (3,668 Views)
Accepted Solution

Photosmart 7525 connect via USB & wireless

I just got a new HP 7525 and would like to know if I can access the printer using the USB connection for my primary desktop PC; and also have other PCs/devices occasionally and randomly access the same printer via a wireless connection using my router.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 11 (3,661 Views)

Re: Photosmart 7525 connect via USB & wireless

Yes, you can use the printer with both the USB and wireless connections simultaneously.

I am employed by HP
Intern
kvetch
Message 3 of 11 (3,652 Views)

1. I have the printer set up using USB connection from my main PC (Win 7 Pro SP1 64bit, with Norton NIS 2013), --this connection is working fine.
  2. I've set up a secondary PC (Win XP Pro SP3, 32bit, with Norton NIS 2013.  This connection works fine if I disable  the NIS firewall.  With the firewall enabled the wireless connectivity to the router is lost/blocked.

I'm not sure what firewall settings are required to allow the wireless connection.

Any help would be appreciated.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 11 (3,628 Views)

If you have a wireless router (with a built-in hardware firewall) you really do not need the NIS firewall.  Disable it.

If you do not want to do that, you will have to configure it to open ports for the printer.  Consult the NIS documentation for how to do this.

I am employed by HP
Intern
kvetch
Message 5 of 11 (3,613 Views)

[ Edited ]

I would prefer to continue using the NIS firewall.  Perhaps you could expand on "... configure it to open ports for the

printer ... "; which ports are required?

Also, some additional info, I have since installed the HP s/w on additional PCs to use this printer.

2 desktops:  8300  = Win 7 Pro SP1 64bit         =  USB to PC  (NO wireless at all)

8250  = Win XP Pro SP3 32bit       =  Wireless  (printer to router);    RJ45 (router to PC)

2 laptops:     5010  = Win 7 Pro SP1 64bit          =  Wireless  (printer to router);   Wireless  (router to PC)

6000  = Win XP Home SP3 32bi  t=  Wireless  (printer to router);   Wireless  (router to PC)

ALL use the same version (up to date) NIS 2013

PC 8300 (Win 7) works fine with 7525  ( but it uses no wireless connections

PC 8250 (Win XP) cannot work with router via wireless connection  IF (and only if) the NIS firewall is on

PC 5010 (Win 7) works fine via wireless

PC 6000 (Win XP) works fine via wireless

Questions:

1. Why does only one Win XP machine work?
  2. If the NIS firewall ports on the 8250, for the HP 7525, must be OPENED, what are the port numbers?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 11 (3,603 Views)

OK, this may help: http://h30507.www3.hp.com/t5/Network-Inkjets-from-the-Inside/Personal-Firewalls-and-Opening-Ports/ba...

I am employed by HP
Intern
kvetch
Message 7 of 11 (3,591 Views)

Thanks for the link/info you provided --it looks promising.  However the document/blog seems to have been written a few years ago, and since that time it appears that www.hp.com (referenced about midway in the article) has been changed/updated/modified.  As a result some of the 'instructions' do not perform has they may have been originally intended.  For example, "... Move the mouse over the “Support & Drivers” tab near the top of the page ..." does not yield a space to enter the product name (cz046a, aka 7525).  Thus, there is no field "... Questions or keywords ...".  Additionally, atempting to enter "... networking ..." in the available 'search space' results in hits for HP's networking products.

Would it be possible for you to provide the link to the intended page(s) the article was supposed to point to for the HP Photosmart 7525 CZ046A?

Or perhaps a simpler question.  The article refers to port 9100 (which the also referenced Port List document identifies as an HP printer port). 

Does this port serve all of the 7525's needs (print, scan, etc)? 

Or, are there additional ports that need to be opened?

Intern
kvetch
Message 8 of 11 (3,575 Views)

[ Edited ]

Problem Solved.

Did some more digging into Norton Internet Security (Network Options) and found that if I changed the Network Trust Level and the printer Trust Level to SHARED the printer can be accessed wirelessly in all modes (print, scan, fax).

I had previously been using 'FULL TRUST' which does work on the other XP machine and the W7 machines.

Not sure I understand the differences between 'SHARED' and 'FULL TRUST'.

Honor Student
rwden
Message 9 of 11 (2,844 Views)

didn't answer question
Retired
Lil_Lisa27
Message 10 of 11 (2,829 Views)

Hello,

I am unsure of what you mean by "didn't answer question". Could you please provide further details.

Thank you

I worked on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation