Question

Tutor
alan_b
Message 1 of 45 (10,122 Views)

Photosmart B210 wireless connect made...lost...made...lost...

I am losing my patience with this new printer. We recently bought a Photosmart Plus B210. Initially the setup was easy and flawless and we were printing/scanning wirelessly immediately (2 Macs, OS 10.6.6, AIrport Time Capsule router).

After a week or so of intermittent printing, we lost wireless connection. I restarted the printer, unplugged it, restarted the computer. Nothing. Then I went to the HP Utility and saw that the printer was deselected for whatever reason, so I selected and made a connection. This same scenario was replayed a couple of times in the following weeks. Once I went so far as to download the newest HP driver and that goosed the B210 back into operation. 

Today I went to print something and, yet again, the beach ball kept spinning and nothing emerged from the printer. A check of the utility showed the printer was, once again, not connected. I selected it but was told it was not available. So these are all the measures I took to reconnect:

--restarted printer twice.

--unplugged/replugged printer

--printed Configuration Page: all was in order

--printer Network Test Report: all diagnostics: "PASS"..."Excellent" signal quality

And still I cannot print wirelessly. I can do so manually (via copy). I can scan manually. But despite all indications to the contrary, the wireless connection is not producing results. Even when I bring up the printer dialog box it tells me the printer is ready.

What on earth is going on here???

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 45 (10,089 Views)

Re: Photosmart B210 wireless connect made...lost...made...lost...

First, are you sure that all of the software, including the one originally installed, was labeled as being compatible with 10.6?

Let's reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
alan_b
Message 3 of 45 (10,068 Views)

Re: driver. Yes, I downloaded the driver from the HP site "HP Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers - Mac OS X v10.5 and v10.6"  And in fact just did it again and reinstalled before replying here.

Followed your recommendation and did the delete/add process of the printer list. I attempted to print something and in the job window it said "Printing 'Untitled.' Printing page 1, 32% complete..."  and there it stopped. I now have the utility icon bouncing in the dock because it's "Unable to connect to printer; will retry in 30 seconds..."

This is the worst this printer has acted yet.

PS--I write this 20 minutes later (after having already sent the above reply but somehow it never got transmitted)...after reprinting all that network report and junk and still getting a big thumbs-up on my connection health I tried the only thing left I could think of: re-running the Setup Wizard off the on-printer touchpad. I reconnected to the network and now I am able to print again. While I'm glad to be able to again, this sort of nonsense is unacceptable.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 45 (10,066 Views)

OK, note that the instructions to reset the printing system are different (and more thorough) than deleting and re-adding a printer.

Perhaps the printer became disconnected from your router somehow?

I am employed by HP
Tutor
alan_b
Message 5 of 45 (10,064 Views)

Clearly it had but why did the 3 separate network reports I got from the printer itself previous to that say that everything was connected perfectly? Why did the job window keep insisting the printer was ready? This certainly makes its email print capability useless if you never know when this thing will stop talking to the network for no apparent reason.

Glad I only paid $99 for this thing but I got what I paid for.

Honor Student
Sadjad
Message 6 of 45 (10,019 Views)

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Just got a new HP Photosmart plus b210 and setuped everything. I can even connect to the printers setup page by putting its IP address in the browser and it says everything is ok.

About the setup configuration:

Everything is passed and signal quality is Excellent.

Channel: 11

Network Name(SSID): my network name.

IP Adress: 192.168.1.100

Configuration source: DHCP

Communication Mode: Infrastructure

Authentication Type: WPA-PSK

Encryption: Automatic(AES or TKIP)

I am using a linksys cisco wag 120n wireless router.

Can someone please help ?

Many thanks.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 45 (9,994 Views)

OK, I recommend a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range).  Linksys is 192.168.1.100 to .149  Use 192.168.1.200 for your printer.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway and first DNS. Leave the second one blank.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
albrs
Message 8 of 45 (9,873 Views)

I have the same problem!

I tried all the IP steps (HDCP and static IP), all the driver reset (uninstall and reinstall), firewall settings and all configs said here.

I made ​​all possible settings on my router.

My home network is: a cisco router with tree PCs conected by wi-fi.

During a day, the printer connect and disconnect several times (by "Russian roulette": one computer connected to the printer while the others are not connected).

And i have XP, Vista and win 7 OS systens on the tree pcs.

I am disappointed with this, they thought the system was stable.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 45 (9,862 Views)

Make sure the firmware on the router is updated and restart the router.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
albrs
Message 10 of 45 (9,838 Views)

Hello,

I upgraded the firmware on my Cisco router WAG120N and still keep dropping the link between the printer and router.

The link drops when the printer goes into energy save mode.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation