Question

Top Student
ErikR
Message 1 of 9 (3,298 Views)
Accepted Solution

Photosmart C4599 won't connect to wireless network

System details: Windows 7 64-bit, HP Photosmart C4599 Limited Edition. Wireless network (Netgear router) with visible SSID and MAC-filter.

As the titel states: My wireless printer will not connect to my wireless network anymore. The reason by it is "anymore" is because it used to work. But my wireless router started to lose the internet connection - and I read somewhere that it might work to change the broadcast channel of the router (changed from channel 11 to 13). And it helped.
But since then the printer has not been able to connect. I tried change it back - and lost internet connection but the printer worked (somewhat).

I figure that I have to reset the printers wireless setup, I just don't know how to do it.

Grad Student
PanteraMoon
Message 2 of 9 (3,270 Views)

Re: Photosmart C4599 won't connect to wireless network

Hi ErikR,

It sounds like you might be having issues with your router.  How old is it?  If you run a continuous ping (type "ping -t <router ip address>" at a command prompt), are there many spikes in response time or dropped packets?  You can terminate the ping by pressing Ctrl+C.  I would let it run for a minute or so to evaluate the response of the router.  It might just be time to replace it.  I would also run a wireless network test from the printer.  I found a link to your user guide for your printer which will tell you how to print the wireless network test as well as restoring the network defaults.  Both of these options will be under the wireless section of the setup menu from the front panel of the printer.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01516322.pdf

If I have solved your issue, please feel free to provide kudos and make sure you mark this thread as solution provided.

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP.
Top Student
ErikR
Message 3 of 9 (3,262 Views)

The router is about 4 years old, I think.

I did the ping test. And got:

Packages sent 135, recieved 135, loss 0% and a average response in 4ms. 

I have already done the (incorporated in printer) wireless network test. It just said unable to find/connect to wireless network (or someting like that).

Top Student
ErikR
Message 4 of 9 (3,259 Views)

I have just tried with the installation CD again - via the use computer configuration for printer.
The installation guide says "wireless printer installed properly" and asks if I want to print a test of the wireless network, which I did. The guide then says that the installation failed - and the test print says SSID not found.

I have tried everything now! What next?

Grad Student
PanteraMoon
Message 5 of 9 (3,254 Views)

Was the computer you used to do the ping test wireless?  If you run the wireless network test from the printer, does it say "wireless working pass" and wireless radio on pass"?  I am leaning toward an issue with either the router, the router's wireless radio, or the printer's wireless radio.  You said you had problems with the router and fours years is getting up there.  Could you try testing the printer on another router to see if it has the same issue?

If I have solved your issue, please feel free to provide kudos and make sure you mark this thread as solution provided.

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP.
Top Student
ErikR
Message 6 of 9 (3,243 Views)

Yes, the computer was connected wirelessly.

Well. My printer is setup to danish language - but it says wireless activated and wireless working and then at SSID found it says failed.

Yeah, I had problems with the router on broadcast channel 11 - but I read somewehere that some devices might interference with the signal. And I changed the broadcast channel to 13. And it works perfecly now.

And by the way the router works for my desktop pc,  2 laptops, a smartphone and PS3 - so it is only the printer not working.

I have only got this router - so I can't check another router. 

Grad Student
PanteraMoon
Message 7 of 9 (3,241 Views)

Ok.  I think the issue might be with the channel then.  It might be too high of a frequency for the printer to communicate properly.  You can have heavy traffic on any channel, it just depends on what's around you.  I would recommend trying channel 1 or 6.  You should be able to download a wifi analyzer for your smart phone to see which channels have less useage.

Top Student
ErikR
Message 8 of 9 (3,224 Views)

I tried a wifi analyzer that said I had heavy usage on channel 13 - so that did not help much

But: I also tried changing the channel to 2 instead. And now everything works again. It must have been a too high channel frequence, I guess.

Thanks for your help!

Grad Student
PanteraMoon
Message 9 of 9 (3,213 Views)

That's awesome!  Glad I could help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation