Question

Honor Student
Brooklyn
Message 1 of 19 (11,700 Views)
Accepted Solution

Photosmart C6180 Cannot Detect Wireless Network

I've had a Photosmart C6180 for over a year, and until recently it connected wirelessly just fine.  But starting about a week ago, it no longer detects the wireless network.  I have powered off the printer and the wireless router several times each, to no avail.  Running the "Wireless Setup Wizard" on the C6180does not help; the printer's screen simply shows "Searching for wireless router . . ." indefinitely, until I cancel the function.  The wireless router sits about four feet from the printer, in a direct line of sight.  In addition, I access the Internet wirelessly using the same router, and continue to do so successfully, so the wireless router itself is functioning.  I recently updated the firmware on the router as well (after this problem began).  Running the Wireless Network Test Report on the C6180 yields a "PASS" for "Radio On" but a "FAIL" for "Radio Working." The radio shows as "on" under the Wireless Radio heading of the Network Menu.  My router is a Belkin Wireless G Router Model F5D7230-4.  The printer prints just fine with a wired connection, but the wireless connectivity was a primary reason behind my purchase.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 19 (11,699 Views)

Re: Photosmart C6180 Cannot Detect Wireless Network

make sure the printer is connected to a wall socket and not to a surge protector. if it is connected to a wall socket, then unplug it from the wall socket. then press the power button 3-4 times and then plug it back into the wall socket. try connecting to the network again or check the wireless test.

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
Brooklyn
Message 3 of 19 (11,695 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion, DexterM.  Unfortunately, that did not work for me.  The printer is now plugged into a wall socket, but still cannot find the wireless network.
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 19 (11,687 Views)

ok, then unplug the power able from the printer while the printer is turned on. then press and hold the '#' and the '6' button and plug the cable back in. dont release the buttons until the display goes blank. once it does, release the buttons and turn on the printer. it will go through the alignment process, and will complete after a few mins.

once it is done, try to connect to the network. if it fails, then the printer is probably defective, and may need to be replaced.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 5 of 19 (11,648 Views)

If the wireless network test shows "PASS" for "Radio On" but a "FAIL" for "Radio Working.", it is very likely that the radio in the printer has failed. There's one more test to try:

Make sure the radio is on (setup, network, radio, on, verify the blue LED is on) and then press the <setup> + <#> buttons together. This will print an internal report. At the bottom of the page, you'll see a list of detected wireless networks. If the list is empty and you know you have a working wireless-network and that you're not hiding the SSID, then you have a defective radio.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
kirbydoo
Message 6 of 19 (9,656 Views)

I turned to this site because I have been having wireless connection problems with my Photosmart C6180. Some of these posts have been helpful. I have been power off and using the # and 6 to reset. Then I get the radio back on. I ran the test with the # and Set up. It gives me 4 possible wireless networks. But it will not connect. I know I have the correct SSID and WEP because I use the same information to get onto the internet with an office laptop. But I can't get a connection with my printer anymore. It worked great for a long time. I have changed any settings. It just quit connecting one day. Any ideas?
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 19 (9,638 Views)

What kind of router do you have (brand and model number)?

My first suggestion is to change your WEP to WPA or WPA2 if at all possible.  WEP can be broken with freeware in about 10 minutes.  It also may be the source of your printer problems.  When you make this change you will have to tell all of the router's wireless clients about the new password type and password itself (you can make it up - use at least 12 characters, letters and numbers, upper and lower case). 

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
kirbydoo
Message 8 of 19 (9,627 Views)

We have ATT Uverse.  So the ATT router created the network that also opperates the cable and internet.  It's a 2wire router. Specifically 2WIRE177. It has a network password. It also has a mac address and a system password. But to log onto the internet I don't use any of those that are on the sticker. i have another 26-character passcode. I assume it's a WEP. Maybe it's not. Those terms confuse me. How do I know? (Before, I had a linksys wrt54gs but I don't think that serves any puposed aymore.. although I still have it running... not sure why?).

'

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 19 (9,615 Views)

For right now I would shut down the linksys router, if it is not being used, it may just be getting in the way.  Does it happen to have the same SSID?

Try the wizard from the front panel of the printer again.  If that does not work, try this:

• Unplug he telephone line from the 2WIRE router
  • Turn the power off on the 2WIRE router, wait 30 seconds, then turn the power back on.
  • Go through the normal process of connecting the printer to the 2WIRE device.
  • From the printer's front panel, access the "Advanced Setup" menu under "Network"
  • Select "IP Settings", acknowledge the warning and select "Manual IP Address"
  • Select "IP Address" and change the last IP address group (octet) to something higher or lower. Specifically for your 2WIRErouter, select 192.168.0.60.
  • Press Ok and plug in the telephone line into the 2WIRE router.
  •  
    If  this does not work we are going to have to find a different way to enter your WEP key.  Let's save that for later if we even have to do it.

I am employed by HP
    Student
    a_muir_at_heart
    Message 10 of 19 (8,663 Views)

I have been fighting with my printer for a week. I was in the 11th hour - about to call it quits - then found your suggestion.

May i just say you are B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L. You save me several hundred dollars today and saved my family from suffering the agony of my defeat. Thanks just doesn't say enough.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation