Question

Honor Student
jjensen
Message 1 of 8 (9,780 Views)

Photosmart Plus B209a wireless connection (printer rediscovery) problem

I just bought a Photosmart Plus B209a and can't get it to connect wirelessly.  I'm using a Lenovo laptop with Windows XP (version 2002, service pack 3) which is connected wirelessly to a Verizon FIOS router that is 64-bit WEP encrypted.

I run the wireless set up instructions and it has no problem finding my router, but I received errors telling me that my firewall might be blocking port 407.  I have added the printer's IP address to the list of exceptions and even turned the Windows firewall off and it doesn't help.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the software and a couple of times I got the connection to work, printed the test page (it said the connection was successful with no problems found), but then it said it was waiting for SLP reply from 192.168.1.3 (the printer's IP address) and the I got the following error message:

"Printer rediscovery problems detected.  Your PC may not be able to track  online status changes of your printer.
If you are using firewall software, verify UDP port 427 is unblocked from your printer at 192.168.1.3 to your PC.
To fix the issue(s) try to power your printer off and on."

I've spent a lot of time on this and not sure what else to do.  I'd really appreciate any suggestions you may have.  I tried to include any info I thought you would need, but please let me know if you need to know anything else to help.

Thanks!

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 8 (9,770 Views)

Re: Photosmart Plus B209a wireless connection (printer rediscovery) problem

We had a lot of trouble wtih the Version FIOS wireless routers.  What model do you have?

Next, please download our Network Diagnostic Utility located here.  Run the tool from your XP machine and verify that it finds the printer (select the "Run Network Printer Diagnostic" button).

Now select "Show Advanced Tools" and then select "Display Detected Wireless Networks".  Tell me the names (SSID), signal quality and channel numbers for all of the detected networks.  Also, tell me which one is yours.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
jjensen
Message 3 of 8 (9,729 Views)

Thanks for your response Jim.

The Verizon router is model # MI424-WR Rev. D by Actiontec.

When I run the diagnostic tool, my computer does find the printer.

"Tell me the names (SSID), signal quality and channel numbers for all of the detected networks.  Also, tell me which one is yours."

SSID, signal quality, channel number

HWYN0, 100%, N/A (this one is mine)

Focus, 88%, N/A

Playa Lago, 56%, N/A

cap08, 24%, N/A

The diagnostic tool doesn't give any of the channel numbers (all say N/A as indicated above), but the two times I did connect and printed a wireless network test report, the channel was 1. I can send you more of that info if you think it will help.

Thanks,

Jon

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 4 of 8 (9,722 Views)

I think the issue is the SW firewall running on your computer is interfering with the HP SW.

What brand of SW firewall are you using (e.g.. Norton/Symantec, McAfee, Zonealarm, etc).

I think we can work around this.  First, lets set the printer up with a static IP address.  Open the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address.  The NDU tool that you ran earlier will tell you the printer's IP address.  So can also find the printer's IP address by printing out the B209's Network Configuration Page.

From the printer's web page, 

1. Select the Networking tab, then Wireless 802.11, then IPv4 Configuration.
  2. Select Manual IP and enter a manual IP address for your printer. Enter the existing IP address of the printer but change the last group to the value 172. For example, if the printer's IP address was 192.168.1.12, then select 192.168.1.172 for the static IP address.
  3. Enter a value of 255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask.
  4. For the default gateway and DNS servers, leave these blank..
  5. Select Apply.

Now temporarily disable your SW firewall and run the SW installation again.  It should find your printer.  After the installation completes, you can re-enable your SW firewall.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
jjensen
Message 5 of 8 (9,707 Views)

I have McAfee On Access Scan, but I'm not sure that it as an associated firewall so I'm not sure how to turn it off. I turned the Windows firewall off, followed your instructions, and received this error message:

"The printer attempted to join the network but is not receiving any data.  This may be caused by MAC address filtering. If MAC address filtering is enabled and you would like to keep it enabled, add the MAC address of your printer to the list of permitted devices for your wireless access point or router before continuing.  Print the Wireless Network Test report from your printer to find the MAC address of your printer."

I hit retry an got this error message:

"The gateway IP address 0.0.0.0 of the printer does not match your router. Reconfigure the setting on your printer to match.

Your computer is unable to communicate with your printer at 192.168.1.172. This may be caused by firewall software. If you are using firewall software, verify that UDP port 427 is unblocked for both inbound and outbound traffic.

Your PC can not communicate with your printer at address 192.168.1.172. Check all cable connections. Check that the printer, PC and router are powered on and connected to the network."

Sorry this is such a pain, I appreciate the help and look forward to receiving more possible solutions from you.

Thanks,

Jon

Honor Student
jjensen
Message 6 of 8 (9,599 Views)

I was able to fix this by adding the printer manually myself and specifying the new port at the printer's IP address as you suggested doing here (post at 11-13-2009 08:53 AM):

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-networking-and-wireless/Hp-Photosmart-All-in-one-Plus-wireless-...

Thanks for your help,

Jon

Tutor
dziedzicmj
Message 7 of 8 (6,966 Views)

I had problems with connecting B209a wirelessly and got the same message about MAC filtering (which is a complete crock).

The problem might be that the printer does not support 11n (only 11g). I could not find on the HP site any spec that would say what level of 802.11 this printer supports, but I verified that running an AP with 11n only won't get the printer connected, but if you enable the 11g/11n mixed mode will.

Solution:

Make sure that your AP is running in a mixed 11g/11n mode. The rest should work.

MD

Honor Student
mrsaxman99
Message 8 of 8 (324 Views)

So I just found *my* solution to this common problem (printer can't connect wirelessly, even though the ssid of the network shows up on the usb-to-wireless config utility) was with the mixed mode on the wireless network.

My router is a "dual mode router", so it has a 2.4Ghz side and a 5.0Ghz side.  Obviously the printer needs to connect to the 2.4Ghz side (b/g/n). 

most dual band routers are set up to use b/g/n on the 2.4Ghz side, and n on the 5.0Ghz side.

Simply change the 2.4Ghz band to b/g (instead of b/g/n), and the usb-to-wireless config utility will successfully join the printer to the network.

If you have 802.11n devices, they will have to use the 5.0Ghz network....which is much faster anyways, so no real problem there.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation