Photosmart Plus series - B209 Wireless (10727 Views)
Top Student
deer717
Message 1 of 16 (10,727 Views)

Photosmart Plus series - B209 Wireless

I recently purchased an HP Photosmart Plus series - B209 printer. I went through the installation CD, got the printer up and running, connected the printer to my laptop and printed a test page. When it got to setting up the wireless aspect, it gave me all kinds of error messages. I've uninstalled all HP software, tried setting up a new printer through the control panel at the printer's hpsetup IP address, made my own ad hoc connection from my computer, which I then had my printer connect to, and I still get error messages such as:

Your computer is unable to communicate with your printer at 169.254.46.108. This may be caused by firewall software. If you are using firewall software, verify that UDP port 427 is unblocked for both inbound and outbound traffic.

Your PC can not communicate with your printer at address 169.254.46.108. Check all cable connections. Check that the printer, PC and router are powered on and connected to the network.

I do not use a firewall, but I use Malware Bytes, Super Antispyware, and Spybot S&D (none of which block ports). I'm running Windows XP SP 3 on a Toshiba.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 16 (10,715 Views)

Re: Photosmart Plus series - B209 Wireless

That IP address indicates that the printer is not connected to your router.

What kind of router do you have?  Does it have WPS (Wi-fi Protected Setup)?  If so, use that!

I am employed by HP
Top Student
deer717
Message 3 of 16 (10,676 Views)

I think I must have misinterpreted the printer's capabilities. My girlfriend recently got another hp printer, which created its own wireless access point. I connected her computer to the ad-hoc network "hpsetup", and was able to configure the network from there. Her wireless works. With mine, hpsetup was created, and I located it as an ad-hoc network on my computer. I tried using hpsetup as the SSID when setting up my wireless connection from the printer to the computer, but it returns similar messages. So I tried creating my own ad-hoc on my computer and having the printer connect to it (I verified that it showed up on the Network Summary pages).

Elsewhere, I've connected multiple wireless printers to laptops without the need of an external router through ad-hoc networks. Does that not work with this printer?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 16 (10,734 Views)

ad-hoc should work just fine.  Are you sure ad-hoc networks are allowed in your computers settings?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
deer717
Message 5 of 16 (10,726 Views)

I just got done with a lengthy and rather unenjoyable test to make sure my ad-hoc abilities are functional, and from what I can tell, everything checks out. I even went through and reset everything- I disabled all internet connection, set up my computer as an ad-hoc terminal, allowing shared printing and network sharing along my LAN connection, re-set my firewall (and turned it off again). I tried again to connect to my printer, and was met with an error message about the IP address being incompatible with my ad-hoc connection's IP address, and to reset my printer, and wait 60 seconds. I did so, and the next time through I got:

Scan communication problems detected. You may experience limited functionality when scanning from your printer to your PC.

If you are using firewall software, verify TCP port 9500 is unblocked from your PC to your printer at 169.254.46.108.

If you are using firewall software, verify TCP port 9290 is unblocked from your PC to your printer at 169.254.46.108.

Print communication problems detected. You may experience limited functionality when printing to your printer from your PC.

If you are using firewall software, verify TCP port 9100 is unblocked from your PC to your printer at 169.254.46.108.

Problems encountered while configuring your printer. You may experience limited functionality such as faxing (if applicable) and accessing the network toolbox.

If you are using firewall software, verify TCP port 9220 is unblocked from your PC to your printer at 169.254.46.108.

Status communication problems detected. Your PC may not be able to retrieve the printer status and ink levels properly.

If you are using firewall software, verify UDP port 161 is unblocked from your PC to your printer at 169.254.46.108.

To fix the issue(s) try to power your printer off and on.

Seems like a giant circle, as far as I can tell.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 16 (10,652 Views)

Do you have two firewalls - one Windows, one in your security system?  Your problem is in your computer and probably another firewall that is active.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
deer717
Message 7 of 16 (10,651 Views)

I've checked all of my anti-spyware/malware software, I can't find anything that looks like a firewall or that blocks ports. And I'm sure my computer's Windows firewall is off.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 16 (10,636 Views)

What are you using for your main security software?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
deer717
Message 9 of 16 (10,618 Views)

I use several, depending on my needs, but I never keep many running.

I use WinPatrol, SUPER Antispyware, Spybot S&D, and Malware Bytes. I don't use Norton, McAfee, or anything like that.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 16 (10,603 Views)

I look at the errors you posted and it sure seems like a firewall issue to me.  Something is blocking it.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation