Photosmart Premium C309A Wireless can't get through firewall (3643 Views)
Top Student
The Mouse
Message 1 of 9 (3,643 Views)

Photosmart Premium C309A Wireless can't get through firewall

I have a new Photosmart Premium (wireless) and it is going offline and then when I change it to online through the control panel feature on the computer, it still won't print.  It gives me the message "Printing", then after a minute or so, "Document Failed to Print".  In talking to HP, they determined it can't communicate because of the firewall.  Ok so now I know the problem, but for the life of me, I can't find the proper name of the program and it's path to put in as an exception for my firewall.  I am using Panda Internet Security. My operating system is Windows XP Home.  The HP person, Amy in online chat said she couldn't help me and just disconnected. UGH!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Student
j-imboden
Message 2 of 9 (3,563 Views)

Re: Photosmart Premium C309A Wireless can't get through firewall

I am having the exact same probem.  I entered my printer's IP address and port number in the firewal and that didn't work.  I have completely disabled by fireware and still nothing.  The sofware finds the printer but cannot attach to it. 

I have the printer attached directly to my switch via an ethernet cable.  I notice that when I try to connect via one of my laptops wirelessly, it turns on the wireless adapter and I keep turning it off.  I want my printer connection to go thru my wired network.  I really thought this would be easy, but it is anything but that.  Help, otherwise I will take back the printer and find another solution.

Thank you very much,

John

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 3 of 9 (3,526 Views)

Unfortunately, I believe the Panda Internet Security suite may not be compatible with network printer SW.  A simple test would be to temporarily uninstall the Panda SW and then reinstall the printer SW and see if printing works.

In general, the security SW (aka firewalls) on the PC needs to allow 3rd party programs, like HP printer drivers, to have access to the local network.  How this is configured is specific to each firewall vendor.

Currently, our software uses the following ports to communicate with the printer. Note that each port name consists of a protocol (either UDP or TCP), a number, and a connection type (either inbound or outbound):

• TCP 9100 outbound
  • UDP 427 inbound
  • UDP 427 outbound
  • UDP 161 outbound
  • UDP 139 outbound
  • TCP 139 outbound
  • TCP 9220 outbound
  • TCP 9290 outbound
  • TCP 9500 outbound

You best bet is to contact Panda support and ask them how to configure their firewall to operate with the HP Photosmart Inkjet printers.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
jackoclubs
Message 4 of 9 (3,308 Views)

I am having the problem also.  I went through the phone suppoet during which I was advied to add some ports to the firewall.  This didn't help at all.  My simple request is to pront from my computers through the wirless newwork.  The set up is an HP running Vista connected to wireless router via Ethernet.  hp printer c309a is on the wireless network with a MAC running Leapard, and aMSI netbook running XP.  If I shut down everything and power up the router first, then the printer, then the (network host) PC, then I can print for a while.  Then a bit later I get the same results I am reading about here for others like, "printer offline" and ?print failed"  I gotta tell you, hp has been a real empty chair here,  I trid chat and phons support.  I would greatly appreciated some help here.  I ran printer as adminstrator and made sure the printed document box was un checked, but nothing.  I am really frustrated/

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 5 of 9 (3,298 Views)

Can you access the C309a's internal webpage from all of your computers?

When you can't print from your Vista computer, can you still print from your Mac?

What kind of wireless-router are you using? 

( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
jackoclubs
Message 6 of 9 (3,288 Views)

I don't know of the internal webpage.  Please describe how I may try to access it.  I believe neither the MAC nor the MSI print when the HP admin is also not printing.  I also believe that the MAC and the MSI will sometimes also not print when the admin HP is printing. I will do some specific testing if that will help.  This is a netgear wireless router "Super G" WGT624.  Thanks for picking up the thread.  Anything you do that may help will be apprecited.
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 7 of 9 (3,279 Views)

To access the printer's internal web page you'll first need the C309A's IP address.  You can find this by:

1. press <setup> from the printer's front panel
  2. select Network
  3. select View Network Settings
  4. select Display Wireless Summary

Note the IP address.  From the browser (e.g. Internet Explorer) on your computer, type the IP address in address bar and see if it opens the printer's internal web page.  If does, then we know that the printer and your computer can communicate with each other.

The next time you cannot print from your MSI PC or your Mac, see if you can access the printer's internal web page from each of your computers.

Finally, what kind of wireless-router are you using and is your wireless network encrypted with WEP or WPA-PSK?
Honor Student
jackoclubs
Message 8 of 9 (3,266 Views)

Yes, I know the IP address and will try that in a bit.  The encryption method isWPA-PSK

Thank you

Honor Student
Bafi006
Message 9 of 9 (2,699 Views)

Hi,

I am having the same problem.  I am connected through a wired connection and the connection goes on and off.

It so strange!  How could it be a firewall issue while the connection goes on AND off every 5 minutes or so??

Wouldn't the firewall either let it go through or not let it go - permanently.  I believe this has to be something else.

I am using Windows XP and  the Windows XP built-in firewall.  Can anyone @ HP HELP???  This is SOOO frustrating.  I saw many people complain about that issue, but could not find *ANY* reasonable solution. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation