Question

Tutor
garybrian
Message 1 of 15 (13,231 Views)
Accepted Solution

Printer Keeps Going Offline

My printer keeps showing as going offline even  though I uncheck the box in that category. I have to keep unplugging and plugging the machine back on to work properly. This only started about 1-2 weeks ago. What can you suggest?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 15 (13,209 Views)

Re: Printer Keeps Going Offline

Please tell me enough about your printer, connection and operating system to give me a prayer of helping you.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
garybrian
Message 3 of 15 (13,199 Views)

I am running Windows  7 Home Edition. I use Firefox as my main browser. My printer is an HP Photosmart C7280 All-In-One and it is set up as wireless.

Hope this helps

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 15 (13,195 Views)

OK, thanks.

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter your router's IP for the first DNS entry.  Leave the second one blank.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
garybrian
Message 5 of 15 (13,172 Views)

First let me say "thanks for getting back to me". Second I have NO idea what you are talking enjoys. I am a senior who enjoys simple things on my computer. I press a button and something happens and that is about the extent of my technical knowledge. Wher would I find a Network Config Page? Where is the Networkig tab etc. What is a manual IP and thes rest of it is "greek to me".

Is this the only solution available?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 15 (13,167 Views)

OK, it is not the only soulution, sorry for throwing too much tech at you.

You said your printer is connected by wireless.  What router are you using?  Is the printer near the router so that it has a good signal?

You could try this update that is supposed to enhance wireless connectoins: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-89191-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

I am employed by HP
Tutor
garybrian
Message 7 of 15 (13,137 Views)

That particular download was unable to do anything on my wife's laptop. But I did download a utility HPPS.ex I think it was called that I think was able to do the trick. 

Thanks for all your assistance.

Student
ajax586
Message 8 of 15 (10,326 Views)

Sorry, printer is an HP Office Jet 4500 All in One, usb connected Computer is running Windows 7.  I have to shut down the computer then reboot for the printer to work

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 15 (10,316 Views)

Do you ever turn off the printer (don't)?

Is it connected directly to the PC (not through a USB hub)?

Is the printer plugged directly into the wall (not into a power strip or surge protector)?

I am employed by HP
Student
KCKinOK
Message 10 of 15 (8,958 Views)

So far, so good with this fix for my Mac and Envy 114. Let's see if it holds for iPad and iPhone. Thanks.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation