Printer is always offline? HP Officejet J4500 Wireless? (29356 Views)
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 11 of 26 (5,657 Views)

Re: Printer is always offline? HP Officejet J4500 Wireless?

Uninstall the software.  Reboot.  Get the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.

I am employed by HP
Student
goladykat21
Message 12 of 26 (5,593 Views)

I'm having the same issues - how do I uninstall the software?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 13 of 26 (5,567 Views)

If you are using Windows: Start > All Programs > Hewlett-Packard > [your printer model] > Uninstall.

Reboot your PC when the uninstall is finished.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
marlinbl
Message 14 of 26 (5,342 Views)

Hi,

My printer is plugged in via USB to my macbook and it has been saying printer offline. I've tried all the restarting, replugging options and nothing has worked. I tried following the advice from the first response, about resetting the IP address, but I got confused. I was able to print out the Network Configuration page but I could not get any farther than that. According to the print-out, my connection type is "wireless." 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 15 of 26 (5,323 Views)

What version of OS X?  From where did you get the HP software for your Mac?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
marlinbl
Message 16 of 26 (5,303 Views)

It's a mac osx 10.6.4

I installed the software that came with the printer. It had been working previously, not sure what happened to it. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 17 of 26 (5,300 Views)

Did the software on the CD specifically say it was for 10.6 (not 10.5+, that does not count)?

Plus you need to be at 10.6.8.  Go to the Apple menu > Software Update over and over until there are no more.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
SFanonymous
Message 18 of 26 (5,207 Views)

[ Edited ]

Good day,

A few weeks ago, I set up a Dell Inspiron with Win 7, the HP Officejet 4500 Wireless, and a DSL router (2Wire).  Everything has been working brilliantly.

Then all of the sudden, the printer started showing offline.  After copious powering down and restarting of all components, I uninstalled/reinstalled the printer, which worked for a bit, then went offline again. (I am also suddenly having issues with the Dell connecting wirelessly to internet.  It seems as if this happens whenever I attempt to print.)

I would like to follow your instructions, but am having challenges... would appreciate some clarification.

PrintDoc wrote:

From the control panel of the printer: Setup > Network > Reset Network Defaults.

Next: Setup > Network > Wireless Setup Wizard

I don't know how to find Setup on the control panel of the printer.  (I have pressed the Tools [wrench] button and gone through all of the menus:  Basic Settings, Fax Settings, Wireless Menu, Tools (“Restore Defaults” available here), Print Reports, Help.

Under Wireless Menu: Setup Wizard, Manual Setup, Wireless ON/OFF, IP Settings, Reset Wireless.

Setup Wizard sometimes shows me my router and sometimes shows other routers in the neighborhood.

Finally, set a static (non-changing) IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). Yours is 192.168.0.100 to .199  Let's use 192.168.0.220 for your printer (check the first three sets of numbers - your router may use slightly different first three sets, like 192.168.1.x).
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank. Click 'Apply'

When I run the “HP Network Configuration Page”:

General Information:
Network Status:                      Offline
Active Connection Type:        None
URL:                                          http://0.0.0.0

802.11 Wireless

Wireless Status:                       Disconnected

I am also occasionally seeing "hpsetup" in the list of wireless network connections available -- usually when I am having issues with the primary connection.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Best,
SF

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 19 of 26 (5,188 Views)

OK, you are so close to getting this!

First, unplug the phone line to your modem/router.  Then with the phone line unplugged, pull the power cord from the back of the modem/router for a few seconds.  Plug it back in and wait for it to boot up.

Next, use the Wireless Menu >  Reset Wireless.

Next, in the same menu Setup Wizard.

This should get you connected to your router so you can follow the instructions for the Static IP.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
SFanonymous
Message 20 of 26 (5,176 Views)

[ Edited ]

<deleted by user>

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation