Question

Honor Student
Directus
Message 1 of 54 (9,247 Views)

Printer keeps printing (HP Officejet pro 8500 A909g)

I'm currently running a HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 A909g wireless all-in-one printer off a wireless network - my laptop running Vista Basic.

My printer has started the Christmas season by printing the document I send to it repeatedly... whether this is a windows problem or something specific to the printer I don't know - has anyone come across this before? 

There are no error messages on the printer, it's just happily printing page after page... (until I kill it in the print dialogue).  Advice appreciated! :-)

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 54 (9,241 Views)

Re: Printer keeps printing (HP Officejet pro 8500 A909g)

Navigate to the printer's internal settings by typing its IP address into a browser.  Check around in there to see if there is a number or copies setting that is off.

I am employed by HP
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 3 of 54 (9,237 Views)

On the printers folder and right click on your printer.  Select Properties and then Print Test Page.

Do you get multiple copies of the test page?

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Tutor
pwg95
Message 4 of 54 (9,230 Views)

I bought this printer a week ago, got it set up fine -- and it did the same thing to me! I spent several hours on the phone with tech support, and they were baffled (said it hadn't happened before) ... so shipped me a replacement, which I just set up -- and it's doing the same thing!! With Word, it seems to stop at 2 copies, but in testing an e-mail printout from the web, it got up to 8 copies and would have kept going if I hadn't stopped it on the computer. (Cancelling on the printer control pad didn't stop it.)

I'm not looking forward to another hour on the phone in the morning -- do I just return the printer and try a different model??

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 5 of 54 (9,221 Views)

Why spend an hour on the phone tomorrow?  You have us :smileyhappy:

Go to Start > Printers.  Right click on the printer and choose Printing Preferences.  In there see if your driver has set the number of copies to something other than 1 as a default.

You may have to uninstall and reinstall the software to solve this one.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
pwg95
Message 6 of 54 (9,217 Views)

If you can solve this, you'll be doing better than the tech guy and his supervisor who tried last week!  :smileyhappy:

There's nothing in the printer preferences that indicates # of copies ... (plus it's not always printing the same wrong number of copies...)  With the original model, I had first installed it on my laptop (an HP running Vista Home Premium), so the guy had me try installing on my desktop (a Dell also running Vista), and it did the same thing. He had me try a lot of different things, most of which I don't remember -- but something going into the spool (?), and changing something in the printer settings ... When nothing worked, they decided it was faulty internal software in that printer -- hence sent me a replacement.

I got this to replace my aging OfficeJet 5510, which has been a workhorse for almost 10 years in my home office -- and I'm not sure what to do! Any help or other suggestions are more than welcome, but I have to return the original 8500 by Tuesday so they won't charge me ... but if the replacement isn't working either, I may have to return that and take the original back to Staples....  :smileysad:

Thanks!

Intern
docsmody
Message 7 of 54 (9,208 Views)

I have an 8500 Wireless and do not have this problem.  However, what happens if when printing, you specify # of copies to be 2 or 3?

Does it still print more copies?  Have you checked your paper size settings to make sure they match?  Since its been replaced once, I am thinking its a software issue.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Tutor
pwg95
Message 8 of 54 (9,194 Views)

When I tell it to print 2 (in Word), it prints 4! I've checked and rechecked all the settings I know of ....

The only thing that makes me feel any better is that someone else is having this problem, so I know it's not just something with me! Thanks, original poster!

Tutor
jarroyo11
Message 9 of 54 (9,176 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am having this very same problem and have been chasing it since August.  Here are some of the characteristics I have notices:

- I have several machines attached to this printer.  All of them using the wireless connection.  It only happens in Windows Vista (Home premium in my case).  All my windows machines do not have this problem at all

- No multiple copies option has been setup

- Seems to happen with Windows Office applications (Word, ppt, publisher), Internet Explorer, and .pdf files.  In the windows office, my word and power point are version 2002 SP3.  Publisher is version 2003.

- I have installed, deleted, re-installed drivers several times with no luck

- I uses A909n (8500 premier)

- Files might or might not reproduce the problem.  I can print the file and it will give me multiple copies.  I can then close and immediately open and print and I will not get multiple copies

- In my case the number of copies seems random.  Usually in the 6-12 copies range

How do I live with this?  Well it annoys me, but when I print if I notice that I am getting multiple copies, I go to the printer queue on Windows and delete the job.  Since my main computer is XP, the problem is not so huge, but my wife's computer is one of the vista computers and she likes to abuse her "IT guy" (me).  So it is certainly an annoyance.  I am convinced it is the printer driver, but I cannot prove it.

Anything you want me to try, I would be willing to (except re-install windows... I ain't doing that for a printer).

Tutor
pwg95
Message 10 of 54 (9,170 Views)

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your experience, jarroyo! Especially since the first tech support guy I spoke to said they had never heard of this problem before!  I plan to upgrade to Windows 7 at some point -- so I wonder whether it's a problem with that? If not, I could maybe live with it, as you have, until then ...

Otherwise, I was thinking of simply downgrading to the 6500 (virtually identical, but slightly slower speeds and smaller paper tray) -- but maybe I should check the forums first to make sure it doesn't do the same thing!

Since the supervisor in India never called me back this morning (and the tech rep I got this time was a dingbat -- kept asking me if I had paper in the APF ... which has nothing to do with printing from the computer!) ... and since you say you've been chasing the problem for months, I don't think I'm going to get a solution.  :smileysad:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation