Printer keeps printing (HP Officejet pro 8500 A909g) (9146 Views)
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 21 of 54 (3,972 Views)

Re: Printer keeps printing (HP Officejet pro 8500 A909g)

I think the reason for this issue is the print spooler. This is the service on your PC that is responsible for managing print jobs and deleting print jobs once it's printed by the printer. Please go to THIS website and download and run the Microsoft Fix It utility, and run the Full mode. Please note that once this is done, ALL printer icons will be removed from the printers folder. So you'll need to reinstall all the printers you are using. For HP printers, just insert the installation CD/run downloaded file and click on 'Add A Device' or 'Install' to install the printer again.

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Tutor
jarroyo11
Message 22 of 54 (3,935 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried this utility in FULL mode and also tried doing the cleanup manually and it did not make a difference.

Tutor
pwg95
Message 23 of 54 (3,931 Views)

Welcome (??) psquid ... Question: Are you also using Vista? I've purchased a Windows 7 upgrade (3-computer pack) but haven't had a chance yet to put it on any of our PCs. I'm hoping the problem will be solved with that upgrade -- so I'm hoping you're having the problem with Vista also, and not 7!

And thanks, dexter, for the new thing to try. Since my desktop is the last that I plan to install Windows 7 on (have to clear hard drive space), I will try your solution as soon as I can to see if it works. Will report back -- or maybe someone else will have a chance to try it before I'm able to.

Thanks much!!

Tutor
pwg95
Message 24 of 54 (3,932 Views)

OK -- just after I posted, I saw jarroyo's new post....  so guess I won't bother trying that one after all. Thanks for the update!

Tutor
jarroyo11
Message 25 of 54 (3,925 Views)

Well, here is what I did last night which is something I had tried before, but with a new twist:

1) Went to printer properties (right mouse click on the printer icon when you get to a list of your printers)

2) Selected the Ports tab.

3) For the port that the HP is using, I selected it by clicking on it and did a "configure"  Make sure you do not click on the little box that has the check mark or it will deslect the port.  Just click on the description somewhere so it is selected.

4) For protocol selected LPR

5) Under LPR Settings I set the Queue Name to the printer host name.  In my case, HPPrinter (probably your case too).  This time I clicked the LPR Byte counting Enabled

6) Clicked OK to exit and save the changes

Everything works fine.  If I go back an un-select the LPR Byte counting Enabled, the problem immediately appears again (so of course, I went back and clicked).  So this time I feel pretty good about it.  Please, give it a go and see if it works for you is it has worked for all of my Vista machines.  Seems like LPR protocol with the Byte Counting Enabled is the key.  Good luck

Top Student
psquid
Message 26 of 54 (3,911 Views)

For those that asked, yes I am running Vista with all the current updates.  I have the Windows 7 upgrade, but since it doesn't seem to resolve the problem, I'm waiting.

I tried jarroyo's suggestion, but only get an error message when I attempt configuring the printer.  Yes, I have admin access.  I am connecting to the printer wirelessly if that makes a difference.  I was so hopeful, too.

Thanks for the input.

God hates a coward
Tutor
jarroyo11
Message 27 of 54 (3,912 Views)

What was the error you are getting configuring the printer?

Tutor
jarroyo11
Message 28 of 54 (3,916 Views)

To the HP Team:

I noticed that all the Vista Machines that installed the printer using a "WSD Port" work fine.  But for some reason, when it installs it as a "Standard TCP/IP Port" the problem shows up.

I do not know how to install it as a WSD port once it is installed as a Standard TCP/IP port....

Top Student
psquid
Message 29 of 54 (3,893 Views)

Error message is "An error occurred during port configuation.  Access is denied".

God hates a coward
Tutor
jarroyo11
Message 30 of 54 (3,862 Views)

Hmmm.  Rather odd.  Since you checked to make sure you were running in administrator mode, I am not sure I can figure out why you are getting the error since it is telling you that it doesn't think you are an admin (or have enough rights).  If you right-click on the printer icon does it give you an option of "Run as Administrator"?  If so try that.

If you have UAC turned on, you might want to try turn UAC off and trying again? (you can turn it back on after you are done if you would like).

You can always try deleting the printer and adding it again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation