Question

Honor Student
Calfisher
Message 1 of 6 (2,281 Views)

Printer loses wireless connection when it goes to sleep?

My printer loses wireless connection to my router when it goes to sleep and I have to input the WEP key again.  As long as the printer is awake it works fine.  The wireless light remains on.

Printer is HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus and the router is a Verizon 7500.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 6 (2,274 Views)

Re: Printer loses wireless connection when it goes to sleep?

Can you change the router settings?  WEP is not in the least secure and may lead to connection problems like this.  If you cannot get into the router settings, you may want to contact Verizon and tell them you are not comfortable with WEP.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Calfisher
Message 3 of 6 (2,267 Views)

I am actually using WEPA with a 15 character key.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 6 (2,257 Views)

If you mean WPA, that is good.

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS. This is Google DNS. You can choose another external DNS if you wish.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Student
clofe
Message 5 of 6 (2,214 Views)

Thanks, my printer's static IP was set within DHCP range. I've now changed to be outside the range. Lets see if it has solved the problem.
Student
Pugnicious
Message 6 of 6 (2,030 Views)

I have the same issue with an HP 6500 officejet.   My printer looses it's passphrase and needs to be re-entereed.     So my setup is on wireless g using WPA2.

I don't understand HP's workaround of assigning a static IP address.    If I wanted a static pool, I'd of setup my wireless network with static addresses!    It's funny that my 14 other devices including 2 DVRs (which also go to sleep with hard drive power down) don't lose their dynamic IP addresses.

OK, so HP is this an admitted bug ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation