Question

Honor Student
DickJ
Message 1 of 4 (1,525 Views)

Printer not connected

Installed new Photosmart Plus B210a with Apple Time Capsule router and Macbook Pro. Configured for Air Print. Updated software for Mac OS X 10.7.1. Worked great wirelessly initially. Next day get "Printer not connected" error message. Have been through this repeatedly. Appreciate any help.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 4 (1,489 Views)

Re: Printer not connected

Is your printer connected wirelessly to the Time Capsule?  Print a Wireless Network Test from the front of the printer.  Is it actually connected to the TC?

If so, then you may have a software problem, still having software for pre-10.7 on your Mac.  If so, you must uninstall the software using the 'scrubber' option:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall <<<< Scrubber Option
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Restart your Mac

Now reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
DickJ
Message 3 of 4 (1,452 Views)

Yes, it is connected wirelessly to the Time Capsule. Wireless Network Test says all is wonderful. Am using latest downloaded software for OS X 10.7. Works great for a while and then all of a sudden it reports it cannot connect. If I shut printer off and on and reboot the Macbook Pro it works again. Then after a while it will lose the connection again. I believe the problem has something to do with the Time Capsule. A previous HP wireless printer worked OK with a Linksys router. When I switched to the Time Capsule this problem started. I replaced the previous printer with this ePrint HP PHotosmart Plus B210a thinking it might solve the problem, but it hasn't.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 4 (1,445 Views)

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). Yours is 10.0.1.2 to .200.  Let's use 10.0.1.220 for your printer..
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway and first DNS. Leave the second one blank.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

Delete the printer in System Preferences, then re-add it using the 'Default' tab, not the 'IP' tab.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation