Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have 6 computers that all need to print. If i hardwire the printer, then the comptuers on wifi cant print, the printer says that it cant be connect to wifi. If I have the printer conntected to the wifi then only the comotuers that are either on wifi or conntected directly to the printer can print. How do i  make it so all computers can print?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Greetings @pixielscriblr 
Welcome to the community:)

I will do my best to help you with connecting your printer to your computers!:)

Please let me know which printer you have, and the OS info from the computers you are wanting to connect the printer too.

What's my Operating System?
How Do I Find My Model Number?

Thank you 🙂

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

my os is Windows 8.1, win 7 and mac (im not sure which version) the printer I am working with is a HP laserjet Pro CM1415fnw color MFP. I have the model number if you need it. 

what im finding is that when i use the usb cord to connect it to the windows 8 computers the computer says it doesnt recgonize the usb. I am out of ideas on how to fix this.

HP Recommended

Hi @pixielscriblr ,

My co-worker asked me to look at your post, since you have a Laserjet CM1415. I understand that the USB connection isn't being recognized, when using the wireless at the same time.

You can have USB and Wireless setup together, but you can't have Ethernet and Wireless setup together, the connection cuts off the wireless signal.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet and the USB cable is connected directly to the computer.

The USB cable shouldn't be longer then 6 feet.

Is the cable a 2.0 or 3.0 cable?

Try another USB port on the computer.

You should have two icons for the printer in the Devices and Printers window. One for the USB and one for Wireless. Make sure you are selecting the proper driver when printing.

Check the power management on the computer to see if that is causing the issue if you are using a Laptop.

Go into the device manager, under universal serial bus controllers, for each USB root hub, right click and left click on properties, for power management remove the check mark for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". It allows the computer to limit or turn off power for this device.

How do I get into Windows Device Manager?

Are you able to print from each computer through a USB connection when directly connected to the computer?

Please provide in detail the results if you are still having issues.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

the printer is plugged in to the computer with a longer than 6 ft. cable, but this is an office so it has to be longer in order to reach the computers. 

Also, tryed to have the computer fix the usb error i was getting, but it couldnt fix it.  One of the computers has no problem working off the long usb cable.

I have also checked the windows features and made sure that was all squard away. 

My labtop does pick up 2 different CM1415 printers but there are 2 different ones in the office. I am awear that the printer can not be both internet and eather net and has to be one or the other. But, Im still not able to print from my laptop if the printer is hardwired, and not able to print from the other computers if the printer is on wifi.

is it a network setting that i am missing?

HP Recommended

Hi pixielscriblr, 

I have provided a document to go through to see if it will help with the connection issues.

Print Jobs from Your HP Laserjet Printer are Stuck in the Print Queue.

Disregard the title. Download and run the Print and Scan Doctor. It will diagnose the issue and might automatically resolve it.

Try a shorter USB cable to see if that makes a difference.

This document is for wireless printing issues. I would setup a Static IP on the printer also.

Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection.

You can always run the Add Printer Wizard to add the network printer back in and give it another name. There might be a conflict with the drivers.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I tryed what you sent me to fix the issue, and im stil not abel to get the computers to connect to the printer vi the wifi. I can get the computers to print if and only if the printer is connected via eathernet cord.

HP Recommended

Hi pixielscriblr,

If I am understanding this correctly, you are not able to print over the wireless connection anymore, but can print through the Ethernet connection. Follow the steps below if you want to setup the printer over the wireless network please.

Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the printer.

Turn the IPv6 off on the printer.

On the printer's display, select Setup, Network Setup Menu, Network Services and turn off the IPv6 setting.

Restore the printer defaults.

On the printer's display, select Setup, Network Setup Menu, Restore Defaults.

Run the Wireless Setup Wizard.

On the printer, select Setup, Network Setup Menu, Wireless Menu, Wireless Setup Wizard.

Then run the Add Printer Wizard from Devices and Printers to setup the printer on the computers.

Test the printer.

Let me know how that goes.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

hi,

I was able to do what you asked last night after work, I am still not able to get the hardwired comptuers to print when the printer is on wifi.

HP Recommended

Hi pixielscriblr,

Sounds like a conflict. Make sure the users are signed in with Admin Rights.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836, they can remote into the computers to see what is causing this issue. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.