Question

Honor Student
dms269
Message 1 of 53 (43,030 Views)

Printer won't connect to wireless network

I recent bought a HP Photosmart Premium and have been trying to connect it to the wireless network that the other computers are set up on. I go through the wizard, enter the password, but then it says there is a problem. I printed a network test report and it is pass up until the "No Filtering" section. At the top it says that MAC address filtering may be a problem. I logged into the router and checked and MAC filtering is not enabled.What should I check next?

The wireless router is a D-Link 615.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 53 (43,013 Views)

Re: Printer won't connect to wireless network

Tell me about your network - encryption type (WEP, WPA, etc) and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc).

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
dms269
Message 3 of 53 (42,986 Views)

It is a dsl network.

I believe is is wpa. I'm not 100% sure. When I look on the router's page under security settings under wireless LAN it says "security type: wpa_psk".

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 53 (42,979 Views)

Sometimes DSL providers have more control over the router than the printer likes.

- Unplug the telephone line from the router
- Turn the power off on the router, wait 30 seconds, then turn the power back on.
- Go through the normal process of connecting the printer to the router.
- Now find the IP address of the printer (it should be on the self-test printout), type it into a browser.
- On that screen you will find a Networking Tab, then on the left Wireless, then the IPv4 Tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address). If you do not know, use the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank
- Finally, plug in the phone line, reboot the router and test.

I am employed by HP
Student
dougb33
Message 5 of 53 (42,565 Views)

I'm having the same problem.  I am running WPA-PSK network.  Router is DIR-615.  Printer is HP D110  Every time I try to connect the printer to the router I get the same error about No filter "FAIL"  MAC address are not on.  When I created a direct link between my computer and the printer the printer connected wirelessly.  But I can not get it to connect to my wireless router.  Any ideas?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 53 (42,548 Views)

Yup.  Here are a few:

1. Make sure you are broadcasting 802.11g.  Others are OK as well (like b and n).

2. Make sure you are broadcasting your SSID.

3. Do not use MAC filtering.

4. Reboot your router.

I am employed by HP
Student
speeddriven
Message 7 of 53 (42,191 Views)

Thank you for the posted every one. I Had the same problem. hp printer did not connect to dlink dir601 router. I just reboot my router and bammmm there it was looked at my printer and it was already connected. thank you again.

Student
kaganda
Message 8 of 53 (40,745 Views)

i have the same problem. my MAC computer used to detect my wireless hp printer. and now i am having trouble. it wont recognize my WPA passphrase. im pretty sure it was the correct one coz i have not changed it. on my network test report. everything is pass but the security is saying FAIL.  my wireless router is cisco. hope you can help me. thanks.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 53 (40,736 Views)

OK, first, print a Wireless Network Test from the Network menu on the printer.  What does it say in about the wireless radio?

What changed?  Did you get a new router or change the WPA passphrase or physically move your printer?

I am employed by HP
Student
danlittle2001
Message 10 of 53 (39,219 Views)

Hello, I had to get a new modem, I got it set up ok and i use two laptops and two smartphones on it. The problem i'm having is my hp 3050 j610 series printer is having problems on the network now. I had to remove the printer from my computer then reinstall it so i could program the printer to sync up to my new modem. If i turn the printer off and then back on it works fine for a while, but if it goes into what i call standby mode neither one of my laptops can communicate with it, and what happens is if i shut off the printer then turn it back on it will then print all the pages that i've been sending it so at this point i've got paper flying everywhere. Please help!!!!

I'm not very techno smart so please explain very detailed as to what i need to do.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation