Printer won't connect to wireless network (41298 Views)
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 11 of 53 (11,217 Views)

Re: Printer won't connect to wireless network

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). You can find the DHCP range of the router using its internal settings page or in its manual.  If you don't know, change the last numbers (after the last . ) to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Student
kalamathius
Message 12 of 53 (10,283 Views)

Hi,

this is the first time im writing here. i need help and would be grateful if you guys could help me. a few months ago i has baught an HP P1102 wireless laserjet printer, it was working fine until a week ago there was some printing problem so it had to go to the service centre. when it came back it couldnt connect to the wireless network, every single time i go through the setup, it says unable to logon to the provided SSID. i took it back to the service centre and it worked fine over there. when i braught it back, it is giving me the same issue. kindly advice.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 13 of 53 (10,275 Views)

Its probably your router. What brand/model router are you using?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
cns518
Message 14 of 53 (10,127 Views)

same problem.  D110 printer would time out and lose wireless connection.  new 6700 would not hook up - said the "fail filtering" thing.  I have a netgear at&t modem router.

all my computers, tablets, and smart phones would see the network.  the printers would not.

my netgear router has two numbers on the bottom.  the "device access code" was the password necessary to make computers see the network.  The "wireless network key" was the password necessary to make the printer see the network.  Then I needed the HP software to make the printer see the computers.

all that stuff about MAC filtering just confuses the issue, and the HP fixes are way too complicated.  I found that using the correct code on the correct device solved the problem. you are dealing with three different issues,

1. computers seeing the network (Device Access Code)

2. printers seeing the network  (Wireless Network Key)

3 printers seeing the computers (HP installation software)

all three are now happy at our house.

Student
mjk821
Message 15 of 53 (9,920 Views)

I'm having same problem. I have an HP C7280. Everything worked fine for years. I changed my DLink Router (DIR 615) to have a password and also changed the WPA in printer. It worked ok until I shut it down printer. When restarted it would not connect to network. I removed the WPA from printer and password from router and still same problem. If I restart the router everything works ok until I shutdown printer, then the problem begins again.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 16 of 53 (9,907 Views)

On the front of the printer go to Setup > Wireless (or Network) > Restore Network Defaults.

Now, in the same menu, find and run the Wireless Setup Wizard.

Finally, make sure the router has the latest firmware.

I am employed by HP
Student
gestures
Message 17 of 53 (9,115 Views)

I have a Hp Officejet 4620 and I recently bought a new router. Before I got the new router, my printer was printing perfectly with our old wireless network and connecting easily. But after I received my new router, my printer was still connected to the old network, so I set the network back to default. Now I cannot seem to connect my Hp Officejet 4620 to my new wireless network, and as a result I can't print anything. Please help, thanks.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 18 of 53 (9,065 Views)

What router did you get?  Does the new router have 802.11g enabled?  Is the network name being broadcast?

I am employed by HP
Student
johnsonw
Message 19 of 53 (8,877 Views)

"wireless network test report" says "no filtering" FAIL.

Says MAC address filtering may be enabled but it is not.

What do I do next?

JohnsonW
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 20 of 53 (8,872 Views)

What router?  What printer?  What operating system?

Here are some ideas:

1. Make sure your router is using 802.11g mode (among other is fine).

2. Change the channel to 11.

3. Make sure the router is broadcasting its network name (SSID).

4. Ensure that DHCP is active.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation