Question

Top Student
Myra
Message 1 of 7 (4,719 Views)

Problem setup wireless for all in one J6450

Purchased for the holidays a new officejet all in one model J6450 having problems with installation of wireless network.

2 laptops on an existing wireless DSl. Router and dsl service from AT&T. SSID is Mayra using wep. There is a network key.

When the computer CD software for the asks for the manual connection of the USB cable, I connect to my laptop and the following happens:

1) (choose printer) I click on J6450 which is the only printer on page

It then gives me another screen as follows:

2) next screen asks to enter ssid from a list shown and mayra is on that list so I click on my ssid mayra and click continue.

I immediately receive an error  is being used by another user.

I'm not sure if the J6450 will allow for multiple laptops to be part of the network when initially installing the printer. I have worked on this for a few hours with AT&T and the wireless network/ssid/wep/key are all good on both laptops.

I need someone to tell me if the j6450 can be setup to work with multiple laptops on an existing wireless network when you try to initially install for the first time, because I think that the J6450 is seeing a second computer and this might be the problem.

Can't seem to find someone at HP to give me the assistance that I require. I have been on the phone with tech support twice. If the J6450 does not work with a second wireless laptop I need to return the printer. Maybe this has happened to someone else and there is a way other than disconnecting the wireless on the second laptop and reinstalling wireless.

The assumption that the problem is the second laptop is mine. None of the two tech support have told me this is the case, but I can't figure out what else could be going wrong.

p.s. I even changed the SSID and tried a second time and I get the same result when installing the CD on the same page as the first time.

Thanks in advance

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 7 (4,708 Views)

Re: Problem setup wireless for all in one J6450

Yes, you can have multiple laptops connected to your J6450 printer.  I have a printer similar to your J6450 and I have three wireless Macs an two wireless XP machines on my network.

Can you give me more details on the error you saw?

Also, did I understand that you were able to install the printer on one laptop but not the other?

Regards / Jim B

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Top Student
Myra
Message 3 of 7 (4,690 Views)

Thanks for your reply.

I am running windows Xp professional on both laptops.

The software did not load on either laptop successfully.  I actually uninstalled the program from both. I tried loading the cd on my laptop and when I received the error I tried it on the other and received the same message. 

The program cd loads well until I get to the section of networking and have to choose from the list of networks. My network mayra is listed and when I pick and  continue the software program gives the message that this SSID  belongs to another user. I also tried on the same screen in the section where you can also enter  the network name  and get the same message..

This is an initial installation since I got the printer for the holidays. I have not been able to load it successfully to establish the wireless which is the reason I wanted the printer.

The questions boils down to during the initial installation of the printer and because I already have 2 existing laptops the cd will not let me use my SSID.

I have a friend who recommended this all in one J6450 and she had no trouble with the initial installation because she and her husband share the same computer (laptop) my situation is different since we each have our own.

I'm still certain that there is a glitch in the software that on an initial isntallation it will only allow you to install wireless printer if you only have 1 computrer. After the initial installation of that 1 computer It will allow you to add a 2nd, 3rd...... So in my case I already have 2 laptop in the network and thinks that the 2nd belongs to someone else and not the same household. Maybe is picking up my husbands external network card as a different user and not same household.

Hope this makes my situation clearer.

Thanks

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 4 of 7 (4,641 Views)

Let's try a slightly different setup method for your Officejet J6450.

First, use the wireless setup wizard on the printer's menu to connect the printer to your network.  It's outlined in this web page as Method two: Install the product without the HP software CD.  Basic steps are:

1. Make sure that the Ethernet cable is not connected to the product.
  2. Press the Setup button on the control panel.
  3. Press the right arrow button ( ) to select Network , and then press the OKbutton.
  4. Press the right arrow button ( ) to select Wireless Setup Wizard , and then press the OK button.
    The Wireless Setup Wizard opens.
  5. Press the right arrow button ( ) to select the name of your network (SSID) found in Step one, and then press OK .
  6. If prompted, enter the WPA or WEP key.
  7. After the product is connected to the network, press OK .
  8. Install the software on each computer that uses the network.

Since the printer is on the network, it will skip the part of setting up the printer's network configuration and should just install the SW driver.

Regards / Jim B

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Top Student
Myra
Message 5 of 7 (4,616 Views)

Thanks for your follow up.

The initial installation issue has been resolved by placing the second laptop in the trunk when my husband went to work. I was able to install the printer on my laptop and latter that evening in his. Go figure!

Myra

Student
Leslie
Message 6 of 7 (4,368 Views)

Hi I'm trying to enter my wpa key and all is going well until I try to enter the $.  I can not find that symbol on the printer - am I blind?  Help!
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 7 of 7 (4,359 Views)

Leslie wrote:
Hi I'm trying to enter my wpa key and all is going well until I try to enter the $.  I can not find that symbol on the printer - am I blind?  Help!

I want you to follow Step Two, Method One of THIS document. this way, you can type the WPA key on your PC, which will make it easier.

also, pay attention to the Note under Step 6.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation