09-13-2010 10:58 AM - edited 06-03-2011 11:30 PM
If you are having difficulty making a wireless connection to your home network, check whether you are using the WEP security method with Shared Key authentication. These HP wireless printers do not support this security method, which is the least secure of the methods available. If you are unable to connect for this reason, the printer will indicate that the problem may be caused by MAC address filtering, which is misleading. To correct this problem, configure your wireless router to use one of the following supported security methods, all of which are superior to WEP/Shared:
· WEP key encryption using either Auto or Open authentication
Changing your router configuration from WEP/Shared to either WEP/Auto or WEP/Open while using the same WEP key, will allow most other wireless devices on your network to connect without your having to change their configurations. However, you might take this opportunity to update your security to WPA or WPA2 which are both far more secure than WEP. If you change your security type from WEP to WPA or WPA2, you will need to reconfigure all other wireless devices that connect to your network with the new settings.
After changing your router's security method, before attempting to connect your HP printer wirelessly, we recommend that you either restore network defaults from the printer’s control panel or turn the printer power off and then on again.
For help with your specific printer visit HP Customer Care: www.hp.com/go/customercare
Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
I am employed by HP
- HP Printers - Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection
- HP Web-Connected Printers and Supported Cloud Services for HP Printers
- HP LaserJet Printers - 'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the HP Printer Will Not Print
- Setting Up the Printer for a Wireless Network for the HP LaserJet Pro P1102w Printer
- Setting Up the Printer for a Wireless Network for the HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One, ENVY 5530 e-All-in-One, and HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 4510 and 5520 e-All-in-One Printer Series