Question
Problems with your HP printer after upgrading to Windows 8.1
Replies (142)

Intern
WLCummings1
Message 131 of 143 (1,201 Views)

Re: Problems with your HP printer after upgrading to Windows 8.1

I give up - my cartridge is ending so i have to buy a new one or buy a new printer that works on 8.1 - Sorry HP but your ignoreing this problem helps me make up my mind so now will look at Lexmark or Epson or well you get the picture. I now have a perfectly good printer as long as you are not running 8.1 M1522 any offers?

Student
sh630
Message 132 of 143 (1,102 Views)

I had the similar problem: after installing windows 8.1 the scanner of HP Officejet Pro 8600 can not communicate with my computer, but communicate with computer win 7 well.

Top Student
Catie
Message 133 of 143 (960 Views)

I have an HP CM 1312 and it has stopped working altogether. I have uninstalled the drivers and attempted to re-install but installation fails. I've run the HP Print and Scan Doctor but that doesn't help. The drivers available on the HP website are from 2009; the issue looks like an incompatibility with Windows 8.1  I use this printer/scanner for my business so it being off-line is having an impact. Help! How can I fix this???

Top Student
Catie
Message 134 of 143 (955 Views)

Here is how I am now printing... found this from Redleg77 (thank you!!!)

"You have probably tried what I am going to suggest but here is what I can say. Go to control panel and devices, right click on your printer icon and remove  your printer. then add it back in by using the add printer link. A window will open , answer the questions in accordance with how your printer is connected to your computer. After the printer icon appears again right click on the icon go to printer properties and click on print test page. Your computer should recognize the printer when it is connected hope this helps "

One more step: when you go to print something, make sure the destination printer is the one you've just reinstalled. 

Honor Student
lab0254
Message 135 of 143 (948 Views)

This has been my solution as well, but it's ridiculous to have to reinstall the driver every time I use the computer. It's happening both at work and at home. Why can't HP come up with a solution?

Top Student
Catie
Message 136 of 143 (940 Views)

completely agree. This issue has been going on for months, but no updated drivers to fix the issue and some ominous comments earlier in this thread:  

"HP has told me they will not update drivers for 8.1. If you have a new printer you should be able to escalate to HP support. We with printers not under warrantee cannot escalate or even talk to support." 

"HP has decided to not support Windows 8.1 and Microsoft has decided to eliminate the ability to easily go back to 8.0. Refreshing to 8.0 requires you to reinstall ALL software you did not by from the Microsoft STORE."

"This is clearly a problem with the printer, and not Windows. HP - please take notice!"

Looks like HP has decided not to deal with this issue. Do they want everyone to just go out and buy a new printer? We may well have to do that, but I'm guessing we won't be buying HP... 

Honor Student
lab0254
Message 137 of 143 (937 Views)

And I've JUST bought both of the printers -- one last week. There needs to be some kind of warning from the box stores that these printers won't work with Windows 8...

Top Student
Catie
Message 138 of 143 (929 Views)

Ooooh - I thought this issue was older printers they didn't want to support anymore. Had no idea it's new ones too. BIG black eye, HP!

Top Student
CJBW
Message 139 of 143 (877 Views)

Photosmart 7160 works fine in XP & Win 7 but in Win 8.1 it also prints top few lines (like yours) but then mine sends out one line of wingding symbols at the top of every sheet loaded in the tray. Queue shows that it has confused number of pages, quadruples them eg 8/2. If I cancel the jobs it goes into a deleting loop so have to turn off printer at switch. But, printer turns itself back on to print the single line of symbols on a few more sheets - never had it turn itself back on before now. Uninstall and reinstall and hard resets mean that I get a few documents printed then it reverts to the above error state. The HP scan doctor says nothing is wrong, even witht he print job stuck there. 

Honor Student
Lajode
Message 140 of 143 (2,245 Views)

HP Scan Doctor finds nothing wrong with my device either.  The device (HP 950c All-in-One) is listed, and once chosen the Scan Doctor progresses to the half way point, then spins its wheels -- needing to be terminated.  I once let it run while running some errands for a few hours, and upon my return discovered it in the same state as when I left.

Quite frustrating.  I am surprised to hear that even newer printer purchases are having these issues with Windows 8.1.

The long and short of it is this: software is now released in an unfinished (calling it buggy would be generous) state, and the public are all beta testers.  In retrospect, it would have been wiser to have stayed on Windows 8, and only moved to Windows 8,1 when it was stable.  On the other hand, one would think that "8.1" implies a minor release or fix -- not such a major change that you cannot go back (at least easily).  Also, there was no mention of the experimental nature of 8.1 when my new Dell Inspiron 1737 suggested I "upgrade"...

=Lajode
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation