johnp116
Message 41 of 143 (3,170 Views)

Re: Problems with your HP printer after upgrading to Windows 8.1

but i have windows 8.1

Tutor
paulshakes
Message 42 of 143 (3,132 Views)

I have tried to download the hp software for windows 8.1 and get the program to the point where I click Install. At that point I get a message that says " The system cannot find the file specified". It gives me 2 options. Retry or Cancel. It will not work by pressing Retry and obviously Cancel aborts the installation. This worked before when I had windows 8. I am running the 7410 all in one officejet through my network. It picks up the ip address, but using the fix doctor? it says there is a driver problem? Any ideas? thanks

Retired
Cheetah12
Message 43 of 143 (3,128 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello johnp116.

As I stated in my previous post, this document only goes up to Windows 7. I realize you have Windows 8.1, but you can still perform these steps.

In this document, click on Windows XP. I will provide the steps for Windows 8.1 as applicable:

Step one: Where it states "Register Windows Components", instead of click on the windows icon where is referring to Windows 7. For your computer, you will press on your keyboard the Windows Key and R together (this will bring up the Run menu). Now perform Solution One step in the run box.

Step two: "Unregister and reregister Microsoft Windows Installer". Same procedure, open the Run box as I listed above and type what it states in this document

Solution Two: "Temporarily disable services, and then reinstall the HP software". Open the Run box again, then type what this document states.

Step two: "Temporarily disable Windows Update". Go to the Control Panel on your computer and just follow the steps listed.

Step five: "Enable startup programs". Open Run box, then type in what it states.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

I worked on behalf of HP.
Tutor
paulshakes
Message 44 of 143 (3,117 Views)

I held the windows logo and R got the RUN to open. Typed in Register Windows Components and clicked Ok and the reply was windows cannot  find Register, so if I did that wrong, kindly use simple steps for me. Otherwise no solution.

Retired
Cheetah12
Message 45 of 143 (3,106 Views)

Hello paulshakes.

I understand you are receiving a different error: "The system cannot find the file specified". The thread I just posted above is for a different issue which is applying to a fatal error. Please don't perform those steps. If you look on page 4 of this thread you will see the exact issue.

I am going to provide this thread since this has the exact error you have. Please note that at the beginning of that thread, there are instructions to refer to a different thread, before trying the steps on the thread I posted.

Please perform the entire steps on this thread and let me know how it goes.

Ashley

I worked on behalf of HP.
Tutor
paulshakes
Message 46 of 143 (3,062 Views)

I tried System File Check, under Command Promp as Administrator and typed in sfc/scannow.Answer was- Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service. i tried the HP Printer Install Wizard ( as I have in the past) and ultimately recognized my network printer with the message -The wizard has detecte a problem with the driver software for the selected printer. I also tried the wizard by using a usb cable with same results. Started what you refer to as a level 3 install. Typed in %temp% and looked at the delete sll files/ file folders and some other items, about 220 of them. Got nervous and am awaiting furthe instruction. Still hanging in there.

Intern
WLCummings1
Message 47 of 143 (3,030 Views)

I have run the Doctor and have tried to uninstall the HP software but it fails every time, 10 times, and says uninstall cannot continue. I have downloaded upd-pcl6-x64-5.7.0.16448.exe and run it - it installes ok and prints fine - cannot scan.

I can scan from a windows 7 computer and windows 8 worked fine for 1 year. Upgraded to 8.1 and now scanning does not work from the 8.1 computer.

All hints on this forum say uninstall printer and software - which i have done - install the 16448 upgrade - i have done that.

it still does not work.

This is like going to a auto shop and told it might be the carborator so replace the carb - still does not work - mechanic says - it may be the computer - replace the computer and it still does not work.

Why has HP not done "trouble shooting" to find out what is really wrong and tell us what to do. Not a bunch of try this and try that.

A good expert should be able to fix this in 15 minutes. ARGHHHHHHHHHH.

Honor Student
serjo
Message 48 of 143 (3,025 Views)

I agree completely with your statement, just give us the right drivers !!!

Tutor
paulshakes
Message 49 of 143 (3,009 Views)

This is getting depressing. I have spent about 5 hours trying to load your software. It appears that unless you create 8.1 windows drivers, this is a futile task. I think this is the task at hand.

Honor Student
JW-Cbbr
Message 50 of 143 (2,979 Views)

Wow, no wonder I am facing the same thing and unfortunetely have also loose face in front of the customer as I could not do "full page" printing and lost some $$$ worth of opportunity :smileysad:

My printer is HP Officejet 100 Mobile Printer, where before was running well when using Windows 8. However just last week I upgraded by OS into Windows 8.1 and did not test my printer at that time until the "accident" happened.

COuld the experts provide the guidance where I could find the driver which is compatible with Windows 8.1 for my "beloved printer: HP Officejet 100 Mobile Printer?

As a customer at that time I was expecting my life will be much easier with support from HP due to my mobility which require some on-the-spot printing activity for my presentation. However, seems I not the only one facing this kind of issue to the the unfortunete upgrade into Windows 8.1.

Please help to advise the solution (hopefully) a.s.a.p.

Thank you,

JW

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation