Question
Problems with your HP printer after upgrading to Windows 8.1
Replies (142)

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 81 of 143 (1,174 Views)

Re: Problems with your HP printer after upgrading to Windows 8.1

hankman1948 wrote:

My hp 1505 worked with windows 8 installed 8.1 and now it says offline. Cannot get to work. HELP

Always check you peripherals BEFORE an OS upgrade to see if they will be compatible with your new OS.  Otherwise you should not upgrade.

When you upgraded your OS you did reinstall the correct Win 8.1 drivers right?  After every OS upgrade you should always check to see if there are upgraded drivers OR reinstall the original if the printer does not operate correctly.  

Go here and download the full featured software and drivers for Win 8.1. 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3435668

Now try.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I worked for HP but now I'm retired!
Intern
WLCummings1
Message 82 of 143 (1,169 Views)

Sabertooth - this answer is insulting to the 100 folks who have been trying to get their printers working on 8.1. First of all i cannot emagine in my wildest dreams that HP would not support 100's of printers on a new version of WINDOWS OMG what were you thinking of?

Second of all  if you took the time to read the 100 responses on this forum topic you would see your suggestion has been given 20 times. WE still have the problem. ? Now send the problem to HP and make them fix it.

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 83 of 143 (1,162 Views)

Gee, I'm sorry.  Have a nice day.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I worked for HP but now I'm retired!
Honor Student
luv2help
Message 84 of 143 (1,143 Views)

I had the same problem with my HP Printer being offline and not printing. I finally uninstalled the printer and every bit of HP software from my computer, and then reinstalled the new drivers for my printer from the HP website. Now it works again. I assume we'll need to do this every time there's a windows upgrade.

Tutor
paulshakes
Message 85 of 143 (1,124 Views)

I had a great day. Went shopping for a scanner/printer. Not hp. They don't seem to care.No more ink cardridges, no more wasted time. They just seem to get it. Bye bye

Tutor
Timmy1024
Message 86 of 143 (1,117 Views)

Hi there,

I've had this printer for a couple of months now, working perfectly on a Windows 7 laptop. These past few days I got me new laptop (Lenovo X230) with Windows 8.1 installed fresh and since then I'm trying to add the printer with no luck.

I have the printer connected wirelessly with a Linksys E4200 router and everytime I'm in the setup screen for the printer drivers, I get the "Unable to find printer" over and over.

These are all the things I've tried and experience without luck:

- Tried the full and basic drivers

- Tried to add the printer directly with the IP address or host name, when I'm given the option to do so in the setup

- The printer is working perfectly on the network

- The printer prints from ePrint and Google Cloud Print (further confirming that it's truly connected)

- The printer network test page gives a full pass with everthing OK

- Tried using the printer with DHCP and fixed IP (neither worked)

- The printer responds to PINGs from the X230 laptop

- Using "\\<PRINTER IP" or "\\<PRINTER HOSTNAME>" from the X230 laptop, opens the SAMBA mount with the "memory_card" folder of the printer (further confirming the laptop actually "sees" the printer)

- Tried enabling/disabling/restarting every printer Windows service (spooler, discovery, HP CUE, PML, etc.)

- Tried disabling Windows Firewall

- Tried toggling every router feature (filters, multicast, SPI firewall, etc.)

- Tried restarting the printer between any changes

- Tried formating the computer and starting over. Also uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers a million times

- Tried uninstalling with every "HP Scrubber Utility" and "HP Removal Utility" I could find on the web

- Tried running the HP Doctor Utility, which ironically gives the solution that "the drivers are not installed" (great!)

- The HP Install Wizard utility shows the printer with the right IP after two "refreshes", but in the name column shows no name. After selecting the item and hitting next, it says that the printer is not supported by the utility

- Tried enabling and disabling every service on the EWS page, on the "Network" tab, at the bottom of the left menu

- Can access the EWS perfectly from any computer

So... I probably forget something to include on this list, but most probably I already tried. It makes no sense, I've seen threads talking about issues with Windows 8.1, maybe it's something like that? Why the drivers don't "see" the printer?

Would you please lend me a hand or give me some idea on how to proceed? I'm not in the USA, I'm a third world country with no support from HP, so please let me know over here.

Thanks in advance

Top Student
davidc56
Message 87 of 143 (1,067 Views)

This is basically how I resolved all my issues with scanning problems.
Top Student
davidc56
Message 88 of 143 (1,067 Views)

I found that my problem with installing over the wireless network was resolved after I updated the firmware on my lynksis router. Everything installed and communicated as advertised. I do not think that HP would have suggested this as a solution, so my advice is to see if there is an updated firmware for your wireless router, then try to follow the procedures for installing the printer software. Good luck.

Tutor
Timmy1024
Message 89 of 143 (1,043 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK, I think I finally made it work. I think the problem was that some of the services on the Network tab of the EWS were disabled.

Specifically, the Bonjour service, which seems to be about device discovery.

So, to fix this case to this:

1) Go to http://PRINTER_IP

2) On the Network tab, at the bottom left, enable every service

3) Turn off printer, wait 60 seconds, turn on

4) Now the Device Setup should quickly find the printer

If it still doesn't work, what I also did was to Restore Network Defaults via the Printer Panel. Look it up, in Network Advanced Setup. Then you might have to connect via ethernet cable or reconfigure the wifi from the printer panel to access back. Hope it helps, as HP support is seriously lacking.

This was my last HP personal printer, there'll be no more HP printers for my business and I will talk to my friends to recommend the same.

Top Student
Richard09
Message 90 of 143 (1,261 Views)

Thank you for your help.

I have gone through all of the steps before.  I am fan of HP printers and have used them practically since they came into the market for PC's.  The software however has been a problem for so many years. On this Windows 8 computer we have given up and gone to another printer manufacturer.   While the grass is not always greener, it did fix the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation