Question

Top Student
MDMet
Message 1 of 11 (2,505 Views)

Radio not functioning

HP PhotoSmart C7280 All-in-One:  "Wireless Network Test Report" says "Radio On" is a "PASS".  However, "Radio Working" is a "FAIL".   The blue light on the panel is lit.  I have toggled the radio on and off.  I have shut printer off and repowered.  All other wireless devices on home network are functioning. 

I suspect that this is a longstanding problem.  Initially, I had connected this printer to a Dell PC desktop that was not wireless capable.  I learned that this printer model would not support a combined wireless/ethernet setup, so I opted to run this printer only from the Dell desktop.  Recently, I made that Dell PC wireless capable and that's when the problem was unmasked. 

Advise, please.

MDMet

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 11 (2,494 Views)

Re: Radio not functioning

[ Edited ]

Your radio may have died.  You can try to reset it:

To restore network defaults
1. Press the Wireless button on the product.
2. Press the button next to the down arrow on the display until Restore Network Defaults is highlighted, and then press OK.
3. Confirm that you want to restore the network defaults.
If that does not work, why not just plug it into your router?  All computers will have access to it, the router does not care how devices are connected - wired or wireless is all the same to a router.

I am employed by HP
PhD Student
Super_Dave
Message 3 of 11 (2,491 Views)

The blue light indicates the radio is on, not connected.  The Radio Working test may be indicating a hardware failure. 

If you have the printer hooked to a wireless router by Ethernet, other devices can associate with the router wireless and still be able to communicate with the printer.  So here, you could attach your Dell PC to the wireless router by wireless and the printer would be attached to the router by Ethernet.

I was an HP employee.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Top Student
MDMet
Message 4 of 11 (2,479 Views)

Okay.  I think the radio is toast.  Bummer.  I followed your steps and still got the FAIL test result.  Now I have run an ethernet cable from wireless router to printer.  I toggled off the printer's wireless radio.  Looks like the printer will be tethered to the router within the distance of the ethernet cable.

So, I then went to the Dell desktop to do a test print.  That computer said a print job was executed but the printer did not print that file.

That Dell should have the printer's driver installed if I have previously been successful in printing from it over the ethernet, connection, right?

I'll be off-line for a few hours as I must tend to some domestic duties.  Thanks.

MDMet

PhD Student
Super_Dave
Message 5 of 11 (2,477 Views)

When changing these connections the printer driver may have lost the IP address of the printer.  The IP address of the printer could have changed.  Depending on how the driver was installed, you might have to go into the print driver properties.  Check the Ports tab.  The IP address can be changed by hand there.  If you used the HP software to install the printer, try rebooting the computer and the software should be able to find the printer again. 

I was an HP employee.

Top Student
MDMet
Message 6 of 11 (2,456 Views)

Okay.  It will be some time, perhaps tomorrow before I can get on the Dell PC desktop.  It's my wife's and she teaches her university online courses into the night and begins early in the morning.  Nonetheless, I'll return when a window of opportunity opens.

Shouldn't I redo the whole printer setup per the "Start Here" document instructing me to follow the "Ethernet/802.11" directions?

MDMet

Top Student
MDMet
Message 7 of 11 (2,447 Views)

Is it possible for me to replace just the failed radio that's in the printer?  If so, where might I begin to look for a source of said radio?

I think my time is about over to take advantage of Expert Day.  I have to get back to watching my 19 month old grandson.  Thank you for your help so far.  Your help has confirmed that the radio is not working and that I might be able to connect the router to the printer via ethernet cable.  I'll have to toy with the rest of computer/printer/router setups.  I'll start with the Section D (ethernet/wireless) described in the "Start Here" document.  I'm thinking that the printer driver has likely been updated since my CD copy that came with purchase, so I'll find a source to download from.

MDMet

PhD Student
Super_Dave
Message 8 of 11 (2,445 Views)

After connecting the printer to the router by Ethernet, the 'best' solution would be to fully uninstall and then reinstall the software.  This would reset all of the software links to the printer.

I was an HP employee.

PhD Student
Super_Dave
Message 9 of 11 (2,441 Views)

[ Edited ]

I forgot to address the question about replacing the radio.  I don't know if the part is available but you could try HP Partsurfer.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Home.aspx

You can download the driver from HP's support site for your printer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3204785&

I was an HP employee.

Top Student
MDMet
Message 10 of 11 (2,385 Views)

This should close out my problem.  I connected an ethernet cable between my router and printer, set the printer to wired.   This made a successful connection between my Dell PC desktop (wireless) and the printer.  For my remaining laptops on the home wireless network, I downloaded the printer driver for each laptop (3).  All computers demonstrated ability to print from the C7280.

I've taken no action on locating a replacement radio other than to research the internet and the website you shared with me.

Many thanks!

MDMet

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation