Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi there

Thanks for taking the time to spell this out and to share your experience. I did all that, too, and it didn't work. I did it both by myself and with the help of several HP technicians. They even sent me a brand-new printer. I believe the problem is with my favorite culprit: Microsoft. Something in an update perhaps that change everything because there have been no other changes in my setup, this just started happening out of the blue. I could go back update by update to see what did it, but that would mean restarting the printer every time, waiting about an hour to see if it loses the connection, and then going back another update and doing it again. Not worth it. So, I am power cycling every time I want to print. As you say, boring.

My frustration is with the tech support people: they are reading off a script and are not thinking of it as conceptually as most people on these forums. They simply run me through the exact same steps I've learned to do from the forums, without any regard to whther I've already tried that and discovered it doesn't work.  What would be great is if they investigated whether MS updates are affecting their printers. The printer is either too complicated for actual use with Microsoft updates, or the tech support people are not skilled enough to think conceptually.

Thanks for listening, and I appreciate your help nonetheless.

HP Recommended

I have an hp deskjet D1341 an it goes to offline and can't get it to online.

The only option on properties available is offline.

I have tried shutting it off,  and disconecting to no avail.

Any help?

HP Recommended

I can only report my experience with our Home Network, consisting mainly of Macbooks of various vintage that come and go from the household. This has made using a networked printer very convenient!

However anyone who doesn't need to use a network only printer simply should make their life easier by avoiding it? A solution for printing from your iOS thing is to print through the network to a PC with a local attached printer using Printopia. 

HP Recommended

Two years later and this advice is still working great!

HP Recommended

More simply here is the fix:

- from your browser go to your router's home page (eg. 192.168.0.1).

- then browse router's pages until  find page in router where you can change DCHP range limit;

for most home users, can set range as say 192.168.0.0 through 192.168.0.19

- printers require a fixed IP address not a dynamic DCHP assignment by the router; so, still inside router, go to place where can set a fixed IP for a device;  key in printer name, MAC and IP 192,168.0.20 (the printer's MAC can be found on a label on backside or underneath printer; the "name" should match what Windows 7 uses on your computer for name of printer;  in router set printer IP to "reserved" (not dynamic) 192.168.0.20

- then on your printer's panel, go to printer menu and find page where can change printer'snternal   iIP address;

key in printer's IP address as 192.168.9.20 to match its IP you previously set inside router

- save the changes in router (there should be a "save" tab)

-le voila, you are done! no more printer going offline.

HP Recommended

Had power interruption. printer woulld not print. Reprogrammed printer now shows connectrion to wireless network but indicates offline.

HP Recommended

I appreciate this well thought out answer, and am eagerly hoping to apply it to our wireless printer.  I can't get the printer to print the configuration page.  (not wirelessly, because that's the current problem, but not even manually).  Any thoughts on how to figure out the printer's configurations without actually printing a page?

HP Recommended

Medic1,

You're a Godsend!  Thanks so much for the solution.  The very moment I made the IP switch to "manual", the printer started spitting out all the docs. that had been held in queue!!!  Bless you! ----

Now, if only I could get my old workhorse HP Deskjet 870ce to print!  A Windows "upgrade" to Win7 lost my drivers and now I need to see if I can find them somewhere online.

HP Recommended

@Sharon2649 wrote:

We cannot print the network configuration page going throught the printer.  How can we access the information neede to accomplish what we need to fix our problem?

HP Recommended

My laptop is only a few months old and my printer probably four years.  I have tried Windows.com but can't get to the right place you can go for help.  Any suggestions wouldbe very much appreciated.  I have  Hp Officejet 4500-510n printer and is hooked up to my desk computer and woks fine.  I have a Dell laptop and the printer has been connected before and would work a few times and then quit.  I tripped over cords and fell with the computer and that is when the print spooler stopped working.  Otherwise the computer is fine. Please help

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.