Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Restart the printer and router.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

Thanks a ton. Works great. Simplest solution is the one you put at the end suggesting HOST NAME. Learned a lot from your post. It was driving me crazy.

HP Recommended

Oh, you are so TOTALLY AWESOME.  I just got the printer a few days ago and after setting up 3 computers without much problem, I was like uh-oh.  I had read the negative reviews, but I am fairly computer savvy and thought I could handle it.

Thanks for doing the leg work.  You rock.:smileyvery-happy:

HP Recommended

Ok, I am about to do this but for some reason if it doesn't, can I just go back and hit automatic IP and it will go back to doing things the way it used to do?

Also, I am still confused with the DCHP outside.  Can you tell me what to put in the fields?

Manual IP address - I guess I just put in the IP address from Outside the range of router.  I don't know what that is.  If my IP address is 192.168.0.10  what do i need to change it to?

Manual subnet mask - 255.255.255.0, Yes?

Manual default Gateway - Dont know what to put in here.  

Manual DNS server - IP address that ends with .1  - I got that.

Manual alternate DNS - leave blank.

Looks like I have most of it but the IP address outside the range.  This is the missing link i guess.

Thanks for any help.

Mark

HP Recommended

I use a HP 2700 All-in-one and connect via wireless.  I've had this problem ever since I connected the printer.  I had a range of 1.1 to 1.149.  I set my printer to 1.150 and now it works like a charm.  Thank you for your help.  It sure saved me a lot of time.

HP Recommended

Yes!!!  Thank you sooo much.  You've ended weeks of frustration and reinstall of the printer.  This seems to be a Windows 7 problem, huh?  Before I got Windows 7 and I was on XP, I didn't have this issue with this printer.  Again, many thanks.

HP Recommended

A few comments:

With some routers its actually easier to fix the IP at the router end, view the list of DHCP clients, find the printer and select fixed IP. After that the router will always give that device the same IP.

This won't fix EVERY connection problem, some combinations of router and Photosmart just didn't seem to work, though its not clear to me why. Even the fixed IP trick didn't seem to stop it losing wireless. I wouldn't like to say with 100% certainty though, as I can be a nightmare customer at times trying to solve things my own way. Reinstalling the driver umpteen times is never going to fix a printer <-> network issue though.

One possible issue is the router's WPA configuration. Some routers and access points offer a mixed WPA/WPA2 mode, and recently I tried setting G-only and WPA2-only and found the printer remained online for considerably longer than usual.

In one case the presence of the printer on the network made the router stop providing internet service.

I wonder if the issue is a slightly different DHCP issue, possibly a relation of the "extended data" issue seen with XP SP3 etc, where the router doesn't "understand" the DHCP message from the client. That's the only way I can explain why the 7402G router here that didn't work initially works fine when used as AP with a second router providing DHCP.

HP Recommended

Everything seems to works great as far as the printing goes.  But, my printer is also used for faxing.  Now the faxing will not work.  I do have Vonage for my phone line (an VoIP), which has its own router that connects to my printer/fax.  Do I need to set that router differently?

HP Recommended

Wow...can't thank you enough!  I followed your insructions and so far, so good!

HP Recommended

Sir:

I can not locate the menu/setup/network.  where are you accessing this?

thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.